cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Forum area: Ask the mods

channel
Grafter

Could I suggest a new forum area where users can ask the mods questions and, more generally, the methods used to "moderate" users can be discussed? It seems that such discussion is not wanted on the main customer feedback forum, nor via a ticket to plus net staff, so maybe putting it in a discrete area would enable greater discussion and understanding of this very important topic.
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I would welcome some form of open disussion on this, however I think an extra forum devoted to this would just mean a longer list of forums and it would probably be seldom used.

Tickets to PlusNet don't allow open discussion, mainly because the vast majority of thier staff do not use the forums and have little to do with how they run.

At the moment, the only way to contact PlusNet or the moderators about such issues is via PM, but I think we all welcome any suggestions on how this can be improved.
holdtight
Grafter

I think it might well tie up some of the mods time too ! answering questions in a
dedicated mods only forum that get answered anyway in the other posts ect
Metalguru
Grafter

In this politically correct era, and in the interests of fairness and equality (not forgetting the PlusNet fair usage policy). If "Ask The Mods" proves to be a goer. Then I for one, will (in line with the Human Rights Act) lobby hard for an "Ask The Rockers" forum. And I bet that would get far more hits.

Remember ......... Margate Seafront ........1965.
holdtight
Grafter

lol Cheesy its good to see a sense of humour amongst all the sour grapes
at the moment
Metalguru
Grafter

Ask The Rockers .......

Hey ...... I'm deadly serious ish.

And to make it suitable to attract appropriate government funding or lottery grants for minority support organisations ........... It will be a forum for bald rockers.

There are old rockers and there are bald rockers........... but there are very few old / bald rocker.......................... but I'm one.
LiamM
Grafter

Yup... this is something I would go for... Definately....
csogilvie
Grafter

It's also something that's being considered by the mods already.
N/A

I did mean to add my 2p to the list back when this thread was started, but at the time, it soon sank off the bottom of my list.

My personal opinion here is no.

I am all for discussion based on the decription of the said forum. But do you think there would be any sort of decent volume of traffic to pass through?

All this does is add to the already plentyful list of forums available. Increasing the size of the list only increases the chance of confusion and possibly the amount of work needed by the mod to move posts to the correct locations.

I agree there is no real place for this to take place right now, but that does not mean it can't take place at all. Quite the oposite, it just doesn't have a specific home.
LiamM
Grafter

Hmmm.... Liam reads up more carefully.

I think I agree, we don't need an open Forum for it, as there is already a large number of forums.

However, there does need to be a readily available way of feeding back to the Moderators and/or asking questions / raising issues.

So on this topic, I'd have to vote for Yes and No. Yes to providing a Medium of Contact for the Mods, but no to creating a whole new dedicated forum. In my opinion there are much more worthy subjects that a new Forum could be created for.
channel
Grafter

Whether or not it would be a forum area is not the main point. The essence of the suggestion is that there would be a place where such discussion could be held and clearly directed to.

Obviously, if it is a forum area, then there is the ability to address issues in different threads without them becoming confused. If it is a thread, then it gets long and difficult to follow.

However, even a thread would be an improvement on the current situation where random threads pop up to have a pop at the Mods.
Community Veteran

We've got some ideas already of a contact us system type thing for the moderators for raising issues with them eg about another user or with plusnet about a moderator for example.

At present and especially since Ian left there is no direct escallation path to PlusNet, which I think is something needed. Both for us to raise issues and for users to raise issues about us.

I don't think it should be in the realm of public discussion though if someone is happy with something a moderator has done, for instance remove a post etc, this is where arguments can happen quickly and it is sometimes hard to say what is or isn't a personal attack, and it makes it even more difficult if we have to moderate a thread about the moderators.

Chris
channel
Grafter

Unfortunately, if someone does have a problem with the way they have been "moderated" then a hidden contact us system isn't going to inspire any greater confidence than the current "PM one of the mods" system. Nor will it provide assurance as to what the rules are, or how they are being applied.

In any case, I think you may be looking at all the negatives (from your POV) of this suggestion. The positives are that it can be a source for clarification, the avoidance of confusion, etc ,etc, rather than a place to flame.
Alecto
Grafter

What is it with all this criticising the moderators?

One or two people seem to have some sort of problem - still can't fathom out what it is - and are trying to drag everyone else in on it.

The forums aren't about the moderators - all that those guys do is help out and try to keep some semblance of order.
channel
Grafter

I guess the only way to interpret that rant is that you are against the proposal on the basis that it is not necessary.