Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New CGI Platform

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

New CGI Platform

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that the new CGI platform is now live.

When existing users of our CGI service first visit the CGI control panel in the portal membercentre, it will be in the status 'not activated'. This is because the portal page has changed to represent the status of the new CGI service. The account on the old platform is still live, allowing access to data so it can be moved across to the new platform.

To activate your account on the new platform, simply press the button on the CGI control panel page. You will receive an email shortly after confirming the creation of your new account. Activating your account on the new platform does not automatically move or deactivate your old service or move data between the two platforms.

We are not automatically moving existing CGI accounts because the new, improved platform may require you to adapt some scripts and permissions in order for your applications to run correctly. We will run the old and the new platforms in parallel for a period of 90 days to enable you to safely move, adapt and test your data and applications on the new platform.

You should:-

* Continue to back up your files locally for disaster recovery.
* Move and test your data on the new platform.
* Once successfully running, remove your files from the old platform.
* Remember to point your domain names to the new service via the portal domain tool.

Do NOT:-

* Turn off your SQL – This is a separate service and not affected by the platform change.
* Remove your data from the old platform - until you are satisfied the migration of your data to the new platform has been successful.

For more detailed information, please see the FAQs:-
http://www.force9.net/support/webspace/cgi/cgi_faq_new.shtml

For our CGI discussion forum, login to:-
http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewforum.php?f=7

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

12 REPLIES
N/A

New CGI Platform

this would be cool but it doesn't even work.....

I get the following when trying to install my forum which i've moved from my old space to new space

CGI System Error: Execution of this script not permitted
CGI System Error: Request Error

I get this even if I put my forum in the cgi-bin folder

does anyone else having this problem

regards
mike
N/A

New CGI Platform

see the thread I started about this:

http://portal.f9.net.uk/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5338

basically the default permissions do not allow you to execute the php...
Marteknet
Grafter

New CGI Platform

Is the new cgi server (ccgi) stable yet, are there any changes likely to be made before the change over?
What is the exact date the current cgi server will be turned off?
What date will the new one commissioned to accept full usage?
Are back ups being made prior the change over?
Are there plans for any regular back ups?
Will the advanced domain configurations be amended by force9 to point any cgi entries to the new ccgi server?
Is the new ccgi server off the blacklist at spamcops?
When is the pointing of domains to directories likely to be available?
N/A

New CGI Platform

What date will the new one commissioned to accept full usage?
Are back ups being made prior the change over?

Note sure I follow these two questions - for new users its already in full usage, for other users you can have both temporarily, until mid-september then you have the enw one only...
Marteknet
Grafter

New CGI Platform

Ok Colin.
Mid Sept it is then, a date would have been better but i guess even you chaps don't have one yet so mid Sept will have to do, how about the other questions ?
N/A

New CGI Platform

I wasn't really answering, I was asking for clarification of your questions really as I didn't quite follow what it was asking...

Incidently, 90 days from the 22nd June when the platform went live would be 13th September if my maths is correct Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

New CGI Platform

Hi,

This is the full schedule of dates

14th June: "It's coming" email sent to all CGI customers
21st June: Rollout to F9 customers
23rd June: Rollout to PlusNet and Free-online customers
23rd Aug : Reminder of decomission date email sent to CGI customers
16th Sept: Final reminder of decomission date email sent to CGI customers
21st Sept: Decomissioning of old platform
Marteknet
Grafter

New CGI Platform

Thanks Dave, I now have a schedule I can work to.
Marteknet
Grafter

More changes ?

Are changes still being made to the new ccgi server ?
I am now getting new errors from scripts that were running ok on the new server
Warning: ftp_rawlist(): Unable to create temporary file. Check permissions in temporary files directory.
Marteknet
Grafter

New CGI Platform

I have spent considerable time, money and effort on developing scripts that will upload a photograph and combine it in to a 3D object that is then displayed using VRML, the object can be rotated 360 deg and some of these objects were even transparent so the photo would appear inside of them.

Due to changes these routines no longer work. I want to know what changes have been made and how to fix them. The files were uploaded to /tmp, I know that this was planed to be removed from the new ccgi server. How do I define my own /tmp on my cgi space, there isn't any info on this as far as I can see.

I think that if changes are made to any service that is detrimental to any web page customers have hosted with force9, then force9 should be obligated to post information whereby the customer can quickly find a fix to any particular issue.

In the future I will strongly advise anyone not to sign up with force9 if they are thinking of having any sort of domain, website or even a simple web page housed with them.
N/A

New CGI Platform

At about the time you posted this, the engineer was investigating a problem related to the /tmp folder disappearing on the PlusNet server. I would suspect this was the same problem as you had...
Marteknet
Grafter

New CGI Platform

Thanks for that info colin, I didn't see a post about the engineer investigating a problem related to the /tmp folder disappearing on the PlusNet server in the status page. Sorry to have opened a needless post here. Thing are now working again (well the last time I looked they were :roll: )

Peter.