cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Broadband PAYG

LiamM
Grafter

New Broadband PAYG

Just noticed the banner adverts and the change of the PAYG page to advertise Broadband PAYG for £19.99/month with 10Gb Usage Allowance and free Evening and Weekend PlusTalk calls.

Sounds like a good product to me.

Main question being, is this the end for the other PAYG products as we know them? (i.e. No more PAYG 1Gb @ £14.99) ?
45 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

New Broadband PAYG

At the moment this is a limited time offer, and not a replacement for PAYG.

If you follow the "Proceed" link to sign up for the product it gives you the option to choose the standard £14.99 offering.
LiamM
Grafter

New Broadband PAYG

Ah. That's hard to spot. And the main page says from £19.99.
N/A

New Broadband PAYG

I think Plusnet realised that PAYG looked like poor value when sat next to BB+.
Community Veteran

New Broadband PAYG

Ben; I presume the offer is available to existing customers? Also you say it's time limited. Is this as in how long you can sign up to the offer for or how long the offer actually applies on the account?
N/A

New Broadband PAYG

Also, give your content team a kick. "Product Usage" says "Broadband PAYG comes with 1GB of data transfer included". A bit confusing - now that the rest of the product pages focus on the 10GB deal!
docrobster
Grafter

New Broadband PAYG

This looks tempting to me. Can anyone confirm if I can get a free upgrade from my current PAYG 1GB contract, and that this will remain a completely clean connection free from the management that is applied to premier.
The plus talk calls I can take or leave, the 9GB of data for £5 is a very good offer.

Edit: just checked the portal and it would let me go to the new product for free.
As I am on an annual contract would this tie me in for another 12 months though? Due to it being a change of product rather than just buying more bandwidth?
N/A

Oh I say!

Intriguing offer. Breaks away the site headline account offer from the £14.99 mark and differentiates PAYG from Plus by price and features.

Do I spy the work of a Wild Thing (well, person) here?

At last someone is actively marketing Plusnet accounts. No offense to Stewart and colleagues intended.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

New Broadband PAYG

This offer is also available to all you current customers. There's no charge to change as long as you aren't paying more than £19.99 for your account at the moment.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

New Broadband PAYG

Am I the only one who, when looking at this, thinks that the standard PAYG is a rip off and a lovely moneymaker for PlusNet
£14.99 BB+ 5GB clean peak periods except throttled P2P and Usenet (50GB off peak)
£14.99 PAYG 1GB clean
£19.99 PAYG standard 6GB included
£19.99 PAYG new 10GB included (even includes free Plustalk evening/weekends)
£21.99 Premier 20GB clean peak times worst case all P2P/Usenet
Note quoted cost by PlusNet for bandwidth is about £0.6 per GB
Community Veteran

New Broadband PAYG

£0.6 per gig including or excluding VAT. Just for centrals or onward transit as well?

Staffing costs; electricity etc.

It all adds up.

I wouldn't call PAYG a rip off but it is substatially more expensive than the other products even so...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

New Broadband PAYG

The figures came from this response
The cost per GB is a little difficult to calculate, but to get a rough idea we can do the following.

A 622Mbps BT Central costs £1,758,693.00 per year (inc VAT).

It can carry

622 + 311 / 8 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 365 / 1000 = 3,677,886GB's per year

So 1758693/3677886 = 47.8p per GB.

This assumes that the pipe is maxing out in both upload and download for an entire year and gives the minimum cost per GB. Depending on how much you utilise the network will depend on how much this increase by. 60p per GB may be nearer the mark.

So applying this cost to your subscription, £9.87 (inc VAT) immediately goes to pay the port cost leaving £5.12 to pay for staff, building, infrastructure, profit and Central Pipe costs. 5GB @ 60p per GB costs £3, and the £2.12 covers the rest.

For 10GB the margin just isn't there, even using the minimum cost, 10GB costs £4.78, add that to your port cost and you have just 33p left to cover all the other costs.

I don't know when the costs will come down at the moment, can only speculate right now.

Your usage gets reset a few hours after your monthly subscription has been processed.

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Comms Team
docrobster
Grafter

New Broadband PAYG

Don't forget BB+ has less webspace and no CGI/Mysql etc. As I have a little website using a phpBB board BB+ is no use to me. When PAYG/lite first came out I jumped at it and have been very happy since. Excellent speed all the time. For low users like me I think it is better value than BB+.
The option to keep the clean connection and have more data transfer for just £5 is very good I think. I would worry though that all the disgruntled BB+ers will switch to PAYG/10GB and hog all the clean bandwidth, as it seems that is what they have tried to do with BB+.
Perhaps being on a product which isn't seen as good VFM has the advantage of your bandwidth being safe from the "want something for nothing brigade"!
Us PAYG customers know the true value of data transfer so we don't abuse it and download the whole of the internet just because it's there!
just my 2p
docrobster
Grafter

New Broadband PAYG

Can anyone confirm that with this in my account details (despit account summary page saying start date of 12/5/05).....

My Account and Payment Details
Service PlusNet Broadband Pay as you Go (Annual Contract, No Modem)

Started 29 Feb 2004

....if I changed to the 10GB PAYG special offer I would not be locked in for another 12 months?

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_home_features.shtml?link=resbb_viewfulllink says all the products are a monthly contract. So why does my account details page say annual?
Community Veteran

New Broadband PAYG

AFAIK after your initial years contract you just have the 30 day notice contractual obligation for termination. You need not worry.