cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New BT speedtest site - error message

Slipperymack
Grafter

Has anyone been able to use the new BT speedtest page?

(thanks godsell4 - see Posted: 12 Sep 2006 06:37 pm Post subject: James/Mand: BRAS profile and "stable_rate"

http://test.speedtester.bt.com:50301/

All I seem to get is a message -

The system is currently busy. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

It may be that it is overloaded but it may also be a problem with my gateway as there have been various sites I have not been able to access the last couple of days or have been very slow to load - PN included.
5 REPLIES
Slipperymack
Grafter

Have now managed to use site - must have been overloaded - if interested my results were -

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
IP profile for your line is - 2500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2848 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2353 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the results - My stable rate showing on the PN stable rate page is currently 3000, BT seem to be advising that it is 2500, which presumably means that either PN have not undated the system or BT have not passed on the updated info? Am I right in thinking this?

If this is the case then using this link may help a lot of people understand what is happening to their connections - once again thanks Godsell4
dundialin
Dabbler

BT Speedtester - another error

Here's a different BT Speedtester problem - type in my phone number 01... and login (dundialin@plusdsl.net from the modem) and get this out (eventually):

Test Error
The login name entered on this tool doesnt match that discovered by querying the network for your domain name. Please check your telephone number (or user name) and try again.

And then PlusNet's fault checker blanked out here: http://faults.plus.net/applications.php?Module=Faults&Page=InitialChecksAgent

All of which would be academic if I wasn't getting only 1.5-1.8 Mbps out of my shiny 4 day old MaxDSL this evening^W morning:

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 7.2 22.0
Attenuation (dB): 32.0 25.5
Output Power (dBm): 17.6 12.3
Attainable Rate (Kbps):3296 1064
Rate (Kbps): 3264 448

The question for now comes from the "Advanced Guide":
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/dslmax_guide.shtml#Prepared
"It's a good idea to power off/on your modem or router when doing this - this will force your equipment to reconnect."

But I hope the following doesn't need _continuous_ connection:
"Your BRAS profile however, changes only when a stable connection has been made for a period of time; this may be up to 3 days in some cases."

To answer my own question (RTFM) "No":
http://www.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate
"If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days. "

And I look forward to speed test problems becoming a thing of the past as my BRAS profile improves with time...
N/A

malb,

Given your current stable sync speed, the 2500 ip profile is right. Plusnet is still showing 3000 because they havent had an updated delta report from BT yet - I believe plusnet update instantly as soon as they get this info
dundialin
Dabbler

Little by little

The BT Speed Tester now lets me get beyond the username screen and starts its Sun Java 2, 1.3.1_04-b02 applet in Firefox 1.0.7 to test the line: 0%, 10%, 20% and so on to 96% where it stops but the download doesn't - blinking little lights on the modem & XP's LAN system tray icon.

At least it's told me my BRAS is now 2500K, so it's off to upgrade Firefox to 1.5 to see if I can get a better handle on my current rate than the variations between:
tanerdy
Dabbler

What an interesting link. My results:

IP Profile: 4000 kbps
Upstream: 448 kbps
Downstream: 5280 kbps
Actual IP
throughput: 3620 kbps

I went to PN's speedtest and got 3396

My average PN speedtest (over 2 months) is 3692 kbps with a rather suprising high of 5913 kbps and a low of 1793 kbps.

Normally it's just over 42xx kbps.

Whole lot better than the 512kbps when I switched to broadband in August 2001 and all you could have was BT.

Robin