cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New 8Mb Service

N/A

New 8Mb Service

well it seems to me Plusnet have no plans to use LLU exchanges so we just have to wait i guess for the 8mbit when it arrives by the end of the year Cry . If UKonline was on my exchange i would certainly think about joining them as a 8mbit download and a 400k upload would be nice but since they are not i just have to wait for Plusnet to offer higher speeds for the business account holders
17 REPLIES
dowdican

New 8Mb Service

I looked at UKonline and got list of exchange available for 8Mb speed available? I was wonder here Plus will do the same?

Thanks
N/A

New 8Mb Service

The reason the number of exchanges UKOnline provide service to is limited is because they are known as a LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) provider, meaning they place their own equipment in the telephone exchanges. Because of this, they can provide whatever speeds they like, whereas PlusNet are only able to provide the service BT Wholesale offer them.

However, that said, BT are trialling speeds of up to 8Mbit on 2000 lines spread across 21 exchanges. Although this is quite a limited trial, it should pave the way for speed increases in the future. Although, it should be noted that speeds will be dependent on the condition and length of the line between your home and the exchange. All being well, BT have stated that they're looking to roll out the higher speeds from Autumn.

For more details of the high speed trials, take a look at this ADSLGuide article.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

New 8Mb Service

Hi,

At the moment the speeds up to 8Mbps are in alpha trial (well from next month they will be we only sent the invites out yesterday).

The exchanges we have customers on are listed here. At the moment there are only 21 exchanges on the trial, 13 of which have PlusNet customers.

As soon as we have any news about additional exchanges we will let you know.
N/A

New 8Mb Service

At the moment the speeds up to 8Mbps are in alpha trial (well from next month they will be we only sent the invites out yesterday).

My exchange is on that list and I'm a PlusNet customer, but I haven't had any invitation e-mail about this - does that mean that after I got all excited at seeing my exchange on the list, I can't actually take part in the MaxDSL trial after all? Cry
N/A

New 8Mb Service

Are any customers currently on the trial ?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

New 8Mb Service

We've contacted the people invited to the trial by BT and the orders have been placed to upgrade them. We expect them to be experiencing the higher speeds around friday.
N/A

New 8Mb Service

So I'm not going to be part of the MaxDSL trial, despite being on the Crayford exchange? Cry

Can I ask what kinds of criteria BT used to define eligible customers, which presumably this means I must not have met?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

New 8Mb Service

BT have not made us aware of the critera used to select the triallists, however if you have not yet been contacted then unfortunately you have not been selected.
N/A

New 8Mb Service

Digitalhome, you needed to be already on 2Mb/s.
csogilvie
Grafter

New 8Mb Service

I seem to recall seeing that they were also selecting the trialists based on those they think would have a good chance of higher speeds working.... although I'd have thought a mix of people from those that may or maynot work woul dhave been better.
N/A

New 8Mb Service

Digitalhome, you needed to be already on 2Mb/s.

Not quite true mate, i am on a 2mbit connection for the last 2 years and i was not selected for the trail on my exchange ( MILLHILL exchange ) and also for those 2 years i had a business account as well so there must be a reason Cry
N/A

New 8Mb Service

... and probably 50:1 as well...
N/A

New 8Mb Service

UK online is available now here and the price is the same than what I pay for my premier 1Mb account. I hear that the speed upgrades could take as long as the rest of the year to be rolled out with BT for plus.net customers ? Is this right ?
N/A

New 8Mb Service

I hear that the speed upgrades could take as long as the rest of the year to be rolled out with BT for plus.net customers ? Is this right ?

I hope not..............!!!