Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Spending and Development Plans - Discussion

Mand
Grafter

As per the announcement here

Please keep all feedback and discussion to this thread.
29 REPLIES
N/A

Invest it ALL in customer support. That will fix alot more problems than any expansion will solve.
Community Veteran

They are, I think "Customer Termination & Traffic Management - £135,000" is for shotguns and bollards! Smiley

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Likewise amazed that customer service improvements weren't mentioned.
James
Grafter

Not sure how customer service improvements comes under "Network Spending and Development Plans"

It's a completely separate project.
N/A

"£10,000 relocation of call centre to India"

"£4.37 training for new call centre staff"
N/A

Not sure how customer service improvements comes under "Network Spending and Development Plans"

It's a completely separate project.

Yes, 1 project has funding, the other project does not.
James
Grafter

Not true. We're going through a 6 month recruitment plan, along with throwing loads of development resource into the CSC.

Improved infrastructure will mean less problems, which means less tickets which means less waiting times.
N/A

[edit: posted in response to James' 1st comment]

Not sure how facile replies like that improve the relationship with the customer, James.

Of course customer service isn't part of network improvements.

But you would have thought that given the obvious problems with customer service, communicating how it would be improved would be no 1. priority, not detailing the make of your new routers.
Community Veteran

Maybe it is top priority. But that should not prevent + from telling us other things that are going on. We've already been informed of cs improvements planned.

For goodness sake folks - why not discuss what has been said - rather than complaining about what hasn't (which was said some weeks ago anyway)

I for one appriciate assurance that hardware investment is planned to keep pace with user base.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I don't know if you saw the following update from Alistair Wyse from last month:

http://portal.plus.net/features/csc_news/18072006.shtml

This goes into some of the details of what we are doing to improving the support centre and some of the plans we have.
N/A

There will be some prerequisites fixes to VMBU to ensure the validity of the data.

So VMBU is still definitely faulty then, contrary to what we have often been told.

Will these fixes include reporting correct data - not just overall total (although some evidence on threads have shown this is not even accurate), but also accurate for peak and off-peak? No more "well, your usage will show but might be off by a while", and therefore inaccurate?

PlusNet reported inaccurate VMBU data to be fully resolved on 29 June, as highlighted in that thread I linked to above - it's now 7 weeks later, and it isn't reporting correctly as said in this new statement.

VMBU should be accurate if it is used for billing and management - it should not be "a guide" as Dave Tomlinson said.
N/A

Seems odd that under 'portal servers' you are buying 1U servers, whilst under 'MX Cores' you are replacing 24 of them with new kit - can't they be redeployed, saving cash ?

Also what happens to all the other kit that is replaced ? Fingers crossed for a carboot sale @ PlusNet Towers Cheesy

Near the end of the announcement there is mention of a GANTT chart - but it doesnt appear to be attached, can this be fixed ?

Finally, the dashboard view of problems - will this also be made customer-facing in some form ?
mrsimonday
Grafter

Seems odd that under 'portal servers' you are buying 1U servers, whilst under 'MX Cores' you are replacing 24 of them with new kit - can't they be redeployed, saving cash ?

Also what happens to all the other kit that is replaced ? Fingers crossed for a carboot sale @ PlusNet Towers Cheesy

A good point, and one that has already been considered. Yesterday I recieved a plan in my inbox from one of the senior development engineers detailing his plans for what we do with the boxes that are freed up as a result of the MXCore upgrades. Sorry if that ruins your plans for a car boot Wink

Simon
N/A

Does that mean I can't borrow a few, long term? Wink