cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Management Automation : Discussion thread

N/A

Please post in this thread for discussion on the above topic. Thanks.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Network Management Automation : Discussion thread

For those of us who speak cynical english, here is the management speak -> cynical speak translation.

As some customers will be aware, we are currently working on development of the next stage of our Broadband network management system.

We are making this announcement to the 100 or so customers who read these forums. We hope word of mouth will be enough to inform the other 159,900+ customers eventually.

The work will automate and streamline all of the processes that maintain the quality of our customer’s Broadband experience.

We're computerising our rationing system.

This work will ensure that we can continue to offer excellent value for money Broadband products, while guaranteeing a good customer experience as new applications emerge to make use of the higher speeds that will be available from April.

We only expanding the core network an absolute minimum - we're relying on this new automated system to ensure that when those horrible 1% start downloading at 8Meg our network doesn't grind to a halt.

As a result of the improved network management system, we will be in a position to:

- Reduce our current ‘peak’ usage time for Premier customers from 8AM – Midnight, back to 4PM – Midnight as promised. At the same time we will also reduce ‘peak’ usage time from 8AM – midnight to 4PM – midnight for Plus customers.

Here's what we promised, it looks good. If I could have done - I'd have put it in a really big font. Please stop reading now, that way you won't see the small print at the end we hope you won't notice.

- Provide completely free of charge overnight bandwidth to all customers of our PAYG accounts (Excluding Metronet products) during the hours of Midnight – 8AM.

We like PAYG customers, they pay through the nose and if they use more than we say they're entitled to, they have to pay even more.

- Remove the manual processes that currently cause rogue issues, such as incorrect emails being sent and delays in resetting customers who have passed their billing date.

Our original system scr**ed up, a lot, but slowly. We're hoping our new system will be much faster. No, no, I didn't mean it'll sc**w up faster, although... ah hell, nevermind

- Improve the data available to customers in View My Broadband Usage, to offer more reliability and information of individual application usage breakdowns.

P2P/Usenet bad. We can't show you just how bad unless we introduce these tools. Then when you're broadband is running at speeds comparible with your 56K modem, this will show you why.

- More gracefully manage our customers experience to ensure that best possible connection performance is received.

We hope bad news with a pretty interface will be seen as good news.

- Deliver more granular and flexible levels of network management, that will mean improvements in peak time performance for many customers

We reserve the right to change the rules at any stage for an application which may or maynot use lots of bandwidth. Just as long as the majority of customers think they're getting "8Meg, always on, broadband", but don't actually use it we'll get on just fine.

- Add additional network capacity as it is required, without the extra bandwidth being swamped by P2P and Binary Usenet traffic as soon as it is introduced.

Premier is going to be merged with PAYG. You want lots of bandwidth, you'll have to pay for it (again).

- We will be able to offer, via the portal, far greater depth on the total traffic over the network and what is happening 24 hours a day.

It's important you understand that there's only so much bandwidth to go around, so lots of graphs and stuff are there to convince you that we're operating at peak performance all the time. And the reason things are going slowly are all those nasty users using the bandwidth and nothing to do with 16fold increase in line speeds without a proportional increase in network capacity.

We have been developing the solution for some time and we are now close to beginning our initial testing phases. It is envisaged that customers will benefit from these changes during April, however at this stage no firm dates or fine details are available. As soon as these dates are available we will communicate them to all customers through these forums, and through service status emails, before any changes are incorporated into the network.

It's coming and get used to the idea. We're telling the forums now to get all the serious whinging done out of the way before the majority of customers hear about it.

When we introduce the new, shorter peak times we will reduce the peak-time allowances on Plus and Premier products in line with the new times.

Here's the small print we'd hope you'd miss. You think the allowances are measly now, they're getting cut again. "Premier", never heard of it.

Our goal is to considerably simplify our network management policies and ensure that these are straightforward to understand, and do not unduly impact our customers. We will continue to be clear and informative in relation to the work being done here, and further updates on progress as well as details about the effects of this work will be made during the coming weeks.

Our goal is increase profits. Spreading what little we have, that little bit further can do that for us. We've recognised that the existing rules could have been written by OJ Simpson's lawyers. Our new rules were written by Nelson Muntz of Simpson's fame and will consist of the words "ha-ha".
ukbrown
Grafter

Loving your work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
N/A

Quality
N/A

OOOOOU!!! OOUWCH!!! YIKES!!!! :shock: :? Cry
N/A

When we introduce the new, shorter peak times we will reduce the peak-time allowances on Plus and Premier products in line with the new times.

well got to say as a premier customer this is bad, especially as i have networked pc's at home, and currently having to leave main system on 24 hours to download.

our main internet usage is at night, during the peek period so will always use a lot of bandwidth then

after nearly 10 years with F9 i'm now applying for my mac key, as I'm sick of the constant changes to the SUP/FUP, and in my oppinion I think they should email all customers and not just leave it for the forums

so as a paying customer to f9 all i can say is goodbye
N/A

I have heard zen have just introduced limits but at least they had the balls to tell there customers.

So far I have managed to convince 38 of my customers to move.
N/A

I shall be leaving shortly!
N/A

Nice summary queeg500 Wink

I'm sure these guys speak to the same advisors/spinmeisters as the labour party.

Wool and eyes comes to mind tbh.
ed
Grafter

Dear Force 9, not everyone is download 30,000 P2P Music tracks.

Last month I got 23Gb peak and 52Gb all time and most of it was from a couple of 24/7 game servers I run Tongue

I'm a little worried about the new limits but should be able to stay within them just.

Anyone know what the upstream speed of 8mb will be? 400kbps like Bulldog?

Its not downstream I realy need its more upstream so I can support more players but I gues thats called DSL and would cost me an arm and a leg Cheesy

Keep up the good work F9!
N/A

Your Max Upload speed (depending on your line) is about 448k i think - mine is just below 400k
Marteknet
Grafter

Re: Network Management Automation : Discussion thread

- More gracefully manage our customers experience to ensure that best possible connection performance is received.

What am I hearing things right :?: F9 are going to ensure I get the maximum speed on ADSL, thats a good one :!: I have been stuck with a snail like 1.1M and they have done little up to now to fix this issue. Are they really going the fix things or just thinking of teaming up with Lindstrand Hot Air Balloons. :roll:
N/A

Your Max Upload speed (depending on your line) is about 448k i think - mine is just below 400k

448 is the line sync speed including overheads, (like 288 was for a 256k connection) so you'll never actually see that speed on IP traffic. I think around 400k is the absolute maximum you can hope for on file transfers, but the average should be just under that. Remember 240k (ish) was the absolute max you could squeeze out of a 256k (288 sync) connection, but would average lower than that.

I was doing my own speed tests by using ftp to put files on my f9 web site and was really dissapointed to see traffic shaping severly reduce my upload speed* after exactly 30 seconds of uploading..... it happened every time, any file that takes longer than 30 seconds to upload will start being throttled downwards after 30 seconds. Was making it difficult for me to correctly evaluate the actual upload speed that I have.

* = tests done around 12 midday on Sunday.
astarsolutions
Grafter

I am on a business package and I have been seeing very good upload speeds, both my routers sync at 832Kbs and I get a good 80 - 100K upload.

I haven't noticed any download improvement, if anything it seems slower.
N/A

From Mail recieved at 7.35 this morning

"This is an email from Force9 to let you know about changes to your product,
as announced in our recent newsletter.

Your Force9 Broadband Premier - Up to 2Mb (Monthly Contract, No Modem)
product is now known as Force9 Broadband Premier Option 1 (Monthly
Contract, No Modem)."

Then at 9.20

"As a Broadband Premier customer, you receive a monthly peak-time usage
allowance of 4.5GB. This allowance ensures that everyone gets a fair share
of our network resources during peak hours (4pm - Midnight).

Your peak-time usage for this billing month* just exceeded 3GB.

4.5Gb are you kidding, for Premier, when was that announced?

In my professional life I have signed up many business customers for F9 broadband, I cannot use the referall system for these, it just isn't an option.
I'll not be doing that anymore I'll sign em up for a reputable company, the one I'll be joining soon.