cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetGear routers incompatible with PlusNet upgrade?

N/A

There is an issue that is specific to Solwise, Netgear and D-Link Routers that is affecting a lot of people and is due to a problem with incompatibility between the routing equipment on our 622M pipe and the current firmware.

I didn't want to hijack deflorences thread on this subject so I'll ask here.

Is it the case that Netgear routers are all incompatible with the new servers that PlusNet have just installed, and if so would that apply to all the models of Netgear?

Also would this fault be the cause of the File Transfer Program not functioning properly, (Well it's not in my case, although I haven't seen it reported on any other thread here)?

To be honest i didn't even know there was a problem with the Netgear router and apart from the malfunctioning FTP, my speeds and connection seem-- touch wood -- alright at the moment. In fact I have just been enjoying a period of stability that's not been available for some time now due in part to the PlusNet upgrade.

My router is the DG834G and the firmware has been updated. I did get loads of probes and dos attacks. I used the abuse@plus.com to report them. Apart from one or two persistent machines which the abuse team sorted, there aren't that many attacks at the moment.

Are we about to receive another period of recurring and accumulative faults or is it just my machine that's not working properly and it's that which is affecting my problem with transferring files from my machine to PlusNets FTP servers?

Sad
68 REPLIES
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

The problems with the routers and the 622Mb pipe is one of BT's equipment not ours.

It is to do with the chipset of certain routers, I believe yours is also affected, but a firmware upgrade has resolved the problem in most cases.

However the issue is one of intermittant connectivity, not a specific FTP problem. If you are having an FTP problem, please raise it through the contact us section of the website and we can investigate further for you.

kind regards

Luke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I have a Netgear DG834.

tracert shows:
Tracing route to pth-cdns-01.plus.net [212.159.13.49]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms DG834 [192.168.0.1]
2 32 ms 31 ms 47 ms lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net [195.166.128.123]
3 31 ms 31 ms 47 ms ge1-0-0-902.ptn-gw1.plus.net [212.159.1.155]
4 32 ms 31 ms 47 ms gi4-0-23.pth-gw2.plus.net [195.166.129.219]
5 31 ms 31 ms 47 ms pth-cdns-01.plus.net [212.159.13.49]
which I think means I am on telehouse north.

I am seeing no disconnections (just checked and I've been up for 56 hours).

I am having no problems whatsoever with ftp in either direction.

My firmware is version 1.04.01.

I also have a DG834 at work with the same version of the firmware - I can't check where we are connected to until I get in. Again we are having no problems with connection dropping or with ftp and have also been running an ftp server there without problem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

As I noted in the other thread not all netgear or solwise routers appear to have a problem - certainly my Netgear DG814 does not and others have working DG834 & solwise 110 and 130 equipment - which is why it is proving difficult to resolve the conflict with the BT equipment.

The problem certainly has nothing to do with or would be the cause of your FTP problems so you will need to look elsewhere for the cause of that problem.

How long this disconnect issue will take to resolve is anyones guess.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just to check - you are using passive mode ftp I hope.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

If you are having an FTP problem, please raise it through the contact us section of the website and we can investigate further for you.
Luke

I shall put in a ticket.

I'm hoping that it has nothing to do with the Netgear router and the re-occurring disconnection problems that has been widely reported on these forums and which seem to emanate from British Telecoms inability to provide a decent service.

Just to check - you are using passive mode ftp I hope.

I'm sorry I just do not understand that sentence. I use a ftp called Terrapin. It has served me well. I upload to the cgi servers with no probs whatsoever. It's only when I want to upload to my www space that I get the *hang* and that has occurred recently.

I do use the dos window also but not often.

I wasn't about to panic 'till I read the thread regarding Netgears routers being incompatible with the on going BT PlusNet up grade that I began to be concerned.
michaelscott
Grafter

Lots of people have problems with FTP on NetGear DG834* routers. I did. The solution is to set the MTU of the network adapter on your machine to be equal to or less than that of the router. If it is higher, then fragmentation occurs. Just google for Dr TCP and use that to change the MTU.
N/A

Lots of people have problems with FTP on NetGear DG834* routers. I did. The solution is to set the MTU of the network adapter on your machine to be equal to or less than that of the router. If it is higher, then fragmentation occurs. Just google for Dr TCP and use that to change the MTU.

I dont agree with that. My dg824m was having problems and changing the MTU made no difference except for making the router a little quicker to realise it has disconnected and to then reconnect.
michaelscott
Grafter

No, I said to change the MTU of the network adapter, not the router.

My network card was set at 1500 and the router was at 1458. Obviously if the router recieves a packet larger than it can transmit, it gets fragmented.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

Information on tweaking your ADSL connect should you want to give this a try can be found here along with links to DrTCP.

Passive mode is a different method of initiating the FTP connection whereby the data channel for the connection uses a port in a previously specific range > 1024 rather than port 20. It solves a lot of random FTP problems and you will be able to turn it on in the advanced options of your FTP client.

Regards,
N/A

Information on tweaking your ADSL connect should you want to give this a try

Thank you for that Josh, however, I have used a work around. Every time my File transfer stalls or *hangs* I find that if I click on the stop button I can get a reconnection. I do this two maybe three times every upload.

Is there a problem with the www servers? I ask because I have been trying to password protect a directory using chmod and the 744 permissions. I put the dot before the text file and I removed the .TXT extension. I have done this once before and it all worked fine. Now all I'm getting is a 500 Internal Service Error.

Is it me or is it me?

:?
N/A

What problems are you having with FTP? I was having some problems with it recently and changed my MTU down to 1400, checked my Firewall rules because for some reason one had changed itself to Block Always and have reduced the packet size in the FTP software to 128...it ocassionally gets stuck on files and needs a reconnect but at least it's working now as opposed to the 3 issues I've had with FTP recently.

Timeline :p

FTP Connection Drop

1.04.01 Firmware came out, Updated

No FTP Access at all.

MTU to 1400, Firewall Rules

FTP Only Allows 20 Files To Upload

Changed Packet Size to 128

Working but occasional problem.
jberry
Grafter

Hi there,

Password protecting through a htaccess file definately works, since I have just checked a site I know is password protected site and it is working fine. Other than permissions I can't imagine what it might be (unless you have the path wrong). There is a tutorial here if you want to doublecheck everything.

Regards,
Community Veteran

If you post your .htaccess file here, we may be able to tell your what may be wrong. But the tutorial should explain what is needed.

Note the full paths are different for www and cgi so I suspect you may have the wrong path to your .htpasswd file.
N/A

If you post your .htaccess file here, we may be able to tell your what may be wrong.

Thanks Peter,

.htaccess file=
AuthUserFile /share/isp/plusnet/www/th/theattic/htdocs/xxxxx/.htpasswd
AuthName "Please Log On" AuthType Basic require valid-user

It seems ok to me, maybe there is something I'm missing. I have substituted the folder I'm protecting with xxxxxx on this post.

I have an inkling of what the problem may be. This morning I checked my site and I did get the sign in box. I unfortunately had forgotten the user name because of the many I had used trying to get in going.

So, I went through the whole procedure again this morning. When I checked I had the 500 Internal Server Error back once more. Then I thought that it was because I was using the link to open in another window. The HTML read thus:
<a href="xxxx/xxxx.html" TARGET="Blank_html">Sign in here</a>. I changed the HTML code removing the TARGET_Blank link, uploaded it and the cleared out my cache. Went to my site, http://www.theattic.plus.com/ to check. The same 500 error was there AND the old page containing the TARGET_Blank link.

Could it be that there is a cache problem with the www servers, the same that happened to the cgi servers a few weeks back?

Hi there,
Password protecting through a htaccess file definitely works, since I have just checked a site I know is password protected site and it is working fine. Other than permissions I can't imagine what it might be

Hi Josh

I have double checked my permissions and the path. There seems to be no fault there, however, I'll go over them once more.

Have you tried pass-wording a site recently. I ask because there may be a delay in the file transfer that could be causing the problem?

What problems are you having with FTP?

Hello brookyz7

The problems I'm experiencing with the file transfer program (Terrapin) is that it hangs on me half way through. I can click on stop then I get the message
'connection has been interrupted do you want to try and reconnect' .... or words to that effect...... I click on yes and it completes the transfer. I have checked my firewall and that is ok.

I'm loath to change my MTU at present. First, because in all other areas I'm having no problems. Second, I think it could be a cache problem with the www servers.

If I'm wrong, which I probably am, I think I will live with it rather that change MTU's.

:roll: