cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net limiter and plusnet stats different, any ideas why

N/A

Hi there

netlimiter says that I have transfered about 350mb since midnight, which seems about right, but plusnet says that I have transferred about 700mb, but this is roughly what my router says is going through.

Soooo, does this mean that netlimiter is totally wrong? Or is there something going on with my router? (There is no wireless involved here)

Thank you for yourhelp.
11 REPLIES
N/A

Routers drop traffic if data wasnt sent out with a request for data back so any random data hitting the rotuer will simply be droped.

Netlimiter monitors the local machine and wont detect random background noise.

Still 700mb seems alot.
N/A

Hi there

yeah, I thought 350mb was a lot (I transferred 350, but have a total of 700)... If i leave the router on all night with nothing going on, the noise comes in about 40 to 50 mb per 8 hours....

Anyone know a way to find out where the rest of the router 'noise' is coming from.

Thank you
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

If your using a p2p app, then probably people trying to connect to you. Even after you close your p2p app, this can still go on for several hours I believe. Some (although probably only a very small amount of this) will be probes from virus infected computers. Nothing to worry about if your properly protected!

Phil
N/A

Hi there

i am using P2P.

If people are trying to connect to me, would that not also show up in netlimiter?
Also, would these connections account for the approx 300 - 350mb extra?

Thank you
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

If your computer is turned off, then the requests only get as far as your router, where they are dropped, so in that instance netlimiter wouldn't record them.

Phil
N/A

Hi there

the pc is normally left on 24/7

cheers
N/A

It depends if ur routers firewall will allow external connections to your pc. If you close your p2p app. then your router wont be expecting incomming traffic if none is going out. thus it will just drop the traffic b4 it gets to the machine.

If your rotuer is saying 700mb then it looks like its just stale connections and the usual probes. Maybe retranmissions 2. p2p can cause a lot of retransmissions at times 2. So u download 350mb but have to download say 400 in reality because of peers droping off etc.

I dont think VMBU is 100% accurate either so it may be out a bit, but its not out by much. it seems fairly accurate month on month for me.
N/A

Hi there

thanks for the reply.

sounds like there is nothing really for me to worry about then, cool Smiley

thank you
N/A

i'd still keep an eye on it just incase its gone belly up on you.

for a 350mb download. 700 does seem alittle on the highside (quite possible though) unless you were getting alot of retransmits etc. Unfortunally p2p can be like this depening on what network/protocol your using .
N/A

Am I stating the obvious here, but does netlimiter count down AND up chanel trafic? With P2P you are using both chanels.
N/A

hi there

yes it does, and I am using the combined totals for reference.

Cheers