cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+Net cold calling?

BoneMan
Grafter

+Net cold calling?

Anyone else had any "cold calls" that might be associated with +Net?

I have a second line to my house, ex-directory and Caller ID permanently blocked. It was originally installed for dial-up but now supports my ADSL connection. However I do a phone connected - for emergencies or when the main line is um, busy (= teenage daughter Wink ). I have just taken a call on the second line from some expletive deleted cold calling organisation. AFAIK, there are only 2 organisations in the world that can link me with that telephone number, BT and +Net. However, the caller addressed me in exactly the same way that +Net do. Given the fairly secret nature of that 'phone number, I wasn't exactly pleased Wink and inquired quite firmly how the caller had obtained the number. I was (inevitably) fobbed off with a "oh, it just came up on the screen" and, of course, their number was withheld.

Anyway, I would be grateful if someone from +Net could confirm that they are not cold calling their customers (even via a third party) nor are they releasing (inadvertently) such information to third parties.

Sorry if this comes across as rather accusatorial but the circumstantial evidence does point to +Net.

Regards,

Ray.
14 REPLIES
N/A

+Net cold calling?

I doubt this is a PlusNet thing.

There are Data protection policies provided by PlusNet.

62.2 is specific about where is anywhere, your details go outside of PlusNet.
BoneMan
Grafter

+Net cold calling?

acarr,
Yep, read +Net's DP stuff and it's no more (or less Wink) than I'd expect. However, the circumstantial evidence does initially point to +Net. BT (the regular bit that provide the "ordinary" phones), never address me the way that caller did.

I guess the only other organisation (apart from the spooks Wink ) is BT Wholesale. I assume they must have a record of your name (as known to the ISP) and the number that your ADSL is on.

Once I''ve cleared +Net off my list, they will be my next port of call.

Regards,

Ray
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

+Net cold calling?

Hi,

We wouldn't normally call you unless there was a good reason such as a fault on a broadband connection or a payment problem.
In all cases we would put a note on your account to say that we had called which you would be able to see on the Contact Us page.
I've checked your account myself and there are no such notes, in fact no-one has even viewed your account details.
N/A

+Net cold calling?

I also have a company phone line coming into the house that carries a DSL connection directly to my company. There is no phone on this line but there is a fax and answering machine.
I have recieved "cold calls" before they realised they were talking to an answering machine.
Now the point of this is the only people who know this line exists is my company and BT who had to install the line. My company will not give out details of the line for obviously security reasons and the number is (supposed) withheld for the same security reasons, that leaves ...... guess.
N/A

+Net cold calling?

Surely it's just a machine which randomly generates numbers though? They don't have to get them from anywhere, just guess.
N/A

+Net cold calling?

Very probably.

Whilst you may be ex-directory, it does not mean your are automaticly registered with the telephone preferance service.

They could very easily create a database with 6 digits created by incrementing a counter. Prefix this with a valid area code and you have a number.

Filter this list with data from the telephone preferance service, and you are perfectly enetitled to call the numbers.

However, being addressed by name is scary and sugests otherwise with this.

Can PlusNet help by producing a copy of the data protection applied by BT Wholesale, when submitting orders to them?
BoneMan
Grafter

+Net cold calling?

DaveT,
Accepted and FWIW, the very few times time that +Net have called me, they have always used the main (i.e. non ADSL) number. However, can you confirm that +Net do not have a telephone customer survey going on the moment - perhaps by a third party.

ET4,
Agree up - until the call centre woman calls me by (the correct Wink) name - exactly as +Net use it on their regular emails. Sorry, but you cannot get a computer to generate those randomly Wink. No, it has to be some organisation that "knows" the name +Net call me by and the number my ADSL is on. Unless someone can come up an alternative (please Wink) then it has to be either +Net or BT.

cqg4uzg,
Thanks for sharing that with me. I agree; it is looking more and more like it is BT Wholesale. Snotty letter time me thinks :twisted:

Regards,

Ray.
N/A

+Net cold calling?

Plusnet are doing some broadband survey at the moment, i got it a few days ago and it did come through on my ADSL line and not my other one which is unusual for plusnet. Anyway they said who they were before saying anything else though.

Companies do use random generators for cold calling so its possible thats how they got your number but if they know your name then its a bit strange and if your totally sure only Plusnet and BT has that number then it has to be one of the two.

Your never going to get away from cold calling its become part of life just like spam text messages on mobiles.

But yes it can be annoying.
Community Veteran

+Net cold calling?

Who's to say it was BT Wholesale? Don't forget your actual phoneline is billed for by BT Retail who are able and willing to call people to sell them services.

What did the caller actually want? I don't remeber seeing that covered further up.

Chris
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

+Net cold calling?

Hi Ray,

We did email some people a few months back regarding a customer survey, but unfortunately I don't remember what happened with that. I wouldn't have thought they'd be calling about it now though as I said it was a few months back now. Ian'll probably be able to confirm this.
Ianwild
Grafter

+Net cold calling?

There is a company, employed by BT Wholesale, who conduct ongoing market research in relation to ADSL service provision. I have forgotton their name (I will try and find out!), but they are very well renowned and certainly we have never had any complaints... It is possible it was them who called you, although I am almost certain they would have identified themselves properly. We do not ever pass on customer details directly to third parties and customer details are stored on internal databases which are encypted and well secured. We do not cold call ourselves. I guess the ultimate question here is what the caller actually wanted?

Regards,

Ian
BoneMan
Grafter

+Net cold calling?

fa55dsl/Ian,
The suspicion re: BT wholesale is that BT retail know me as <title>R.<2nd_initial> <surname>. At least, that is what's on the bill and that's how BT have always addressed me when cold calling in the past Evil . PlusNet always address me as <full_1st_name> <full_2nd_name> <surname> and it was that form the caller used. I am assuming (dangerous I know Wink ) that that form is also how BT Wholesale know me because of the information transfer re: ADSL between PlusNet and BT Wholesale.

The truth is I was so angry and shocked to be called and so clearly identified on that line, that I did not hear what organisation the caller was from. I do remember being asked to respond to her questionnaire but by that time, the "red mist" had descended and I gave her, as I do all such nuisance calls, pretty short shrift.

Anyway, based on Ian's last comments, I think the finger of suspicion now points at BT Wholesale. I don't know what are my privacy rights are vis-à-vis them are but I feel that some degree of anonymity on an ex-directory number is not unreasonable.

Thanks for all the responses and information on this forum. It has been most helpful and re-assuring. I'll now take it up with BT.

Regards,

Ray.
N/A

+Net cold calling?

BT's records may address you on papers with an initial, however, they should still have your name on file.

This would provide them with the ability to call you by the full name when you are contacted.

Attempt to phone BT, and confirm what details they have on file about you.

However, stress you do not want any changes made to your account. If they do make changes, it may cause a cease order to be placed on your ADSL line.
BoneMan
Grafter

+Net cold calling?

Philip,
I understand what you're saying and it is perfectly reasonable. But ... there's something that still doesn't sit right as in all my previous dealings with BT (nearly 20 years now) they have never used my full name like that either in writing or over the phone.

Thanks for the heads up re: ADSL line details. I'll proceed with extreme caution Wink

Regards,

Ray.