cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some information about the SUP...

N/A

Last month we went over the limits and we are now under management. So "data intensive usage, including peer-to-peer, USENET and SSH traffic, will be restricted to a maximum speed of 67Kbps, during peak-time hours (4pm-midnight)". I have nothing about the idea, I don't care about p2p and usenet being restricted but I do care about SSH, I manage some servers using it and during peak hours it has become just unusable. Ping times are awful, and by ping times I mean delay for SSH traffic not the output of the "ping" command. Speed is also terrible, I needed to upload a image (PNG, 300 kB) to a webserver yesterday, I barely reached 0.8 kB/s and due to the bad ping time, the connection dropped so I had to give up uploading this 300 kB image... SSH is not the only protocol affected, IRC and more generally instant messengers have now high delays, the thing is that I use them to contact some people I develop software with during my free-time. On IRC, I'm just so lagged that I can't follow or be involved in a proper conversation and I get diconnected every half an hour or so. MSN messenger for instance won't connect at all, or when it does I just get disconnected 5 minutes later. I don't get why those protocols are so badly affected. I'm ok with having the connection restricted but not being unusable... Please make some changes for the interactive traffic, gaming (quake3, quake4 and warsow mainly) during peak hours is as well totally excluded now because. So even if you're saying that you never dropped any silver or gold packets you're stocking them before sending which is just ruining interactive traffic... I'd like to have PN position on that.
17 REPLIES
Wheelie
Grafter

I need to ask this, you say last month you went over the limits and you have been put on a peak-time managed profile. Why on earth didn't you keep an eye on the View My Usage tool in your control panel :?

I think you will find that anything that can be used to to transfer files will be throttled to death {with the exception of browser based downloading I guess} while you are on a managed profile and since you say you are now on a peek time one I guess you have had it for a month. Sad

One answer to your problem would be to upgrade to the 4MB or 8MB package which has a greater allowance.
N/A

standrewsfr

Did you say you only got 1 email informing you of over usgae and this was when you were placed on peak time management?

I agree with Ray, if you require this much data transfer, your only option is to upgrade to a higher account, which allows you more per month

up to 4mb = 150GB
up to 8mb = 200GB

If you have only received the 1 email and it was when you were placed on peak time management (sorry if this is in your post already, but my eyes are killing me) then it may be worth speaking to CSC via ticket or phone regarding the issue and explaining that you have not been warned before, and this was the first instance of.
Explain the usual, yes you have been a naughty naughty boy and the wife will punish you for this etc etc, but most importantly, if agreed that you will be released from the management. Make sure you monitor your usage. This is especially so in week 1 where you do not want to get as high as 7.5 GB peak timme usage and/or 17.5gb/25gb offtime.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Note that if you exceed the 100GB overall AND 30GB peak then you are immediately put on peak time management without a warning
N/A

ahhh Holtlane,

That is something that I didnt realise.
This would infact explain not getting an email prior etc. I stick my hands up, I need to go back to the Academy of SUP Regulations lolol
N/A

Has someone actually read my post? I'm not talking about amount of data transfered nor I'm complaining to get released from management, I'm just asking for an explanation as why all interactive traffic such as SSH, IRC, MSN and network games are also totally unusable when under management. It's as simple as that.
Community Veteran

EDIT - not correct so deleted
N/A

Ray corrected us. :: Will shut up now Sad :: lolol
Wheelie
Grafter

Sorry guys but I think you got that wrong

Just read it to be sure and it says the following

Peak-time management

Immediate action Peak-time management applied to broadband service
Applied 4pm – 12am (midnight)
Restricted traffic Peer-2-peer, USENET and SSH traffic
Duration 30 days

24/7 management

Immediate action 24/7 management applied to broadband service
Applied All day, 24/7
Restricted traffic All traffic
Duration The profile will be applied Indefinitely

Please note; if this is the first instance of unsustainable usage, 24/7 management will only be applied for 30 days
Community Veteran

Thanks Ray - you are correct. Post edited
N/A

Ray, you definately got us there. I to will edit my post.
Wheelie
Grafter

@standrewsfr

I believe I did answer your question since Plusnet want to stop anyone form drinking bandwidth when you are on peek-time management, they throttle the hell on your connection and anything that could be used to download is caught up in the management profile.

As far as I know all you can do is use a browser and email only thing I am not sure of is the gaming since I have never seen a post by anyone compiling about that problem when on peek-time management before so I think maybe one of the coms team could answer that one.

@holtlane & Tom

I do read some things you know Cheesy
N/A

Ray,

I sincerely thought that the peak time management included everything, but only at peak times.
I must have been reading a little too fast when i scanned through it Wink .
Community Veteran

I do read some things you know Cheesy

and obviously better than I do Shockedops:
Wheelie
Grafter

Tom

In essence it does, from all the complaints I have read on here and AG since the SUP was brought in it seem that anything that is capable of downloading is throttled on peek-time management and if you are put on 24/7 management then you would be better of getting your old modem out of the closet Sad