Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to use mobile and laptop to connect while away

pushbikes-uk
Grafter

Hi
I have to take my son to a hospital appointment at the end of this month, as it is so far away it runs to almost a three day trip.

I run an internet business and have previously had a Blackberry to keep in touch with the office but now I have a Sony Erricson W810i on Vodafone monthly contract with 200 anytime minutes and 500 texts.

I need to be able to take my laptop with me and access my ecommerce site and pick up email while I am away. My laptop is not bluetooth enabled but I do have a bluetooth dongle.

What do I need to do to be able to connect? I asume I would have to connect through Plus Nets dial up service? If so how do I do this? I did think about a Vodafone data card but I have a feeling it may be cheaper and easier with my mobile?!

Any help gratefully received

Lee
4 REPLIES
N/A

Yon need to install the drivers for the mobile phone and after that it should just be a matter of setting up the dial up network (DUN) If you use PN backup number then you will connect at 9600 but will be able to send emails via PN server. If you use GPRS then you will connect at 314Kb but will not be able to use PN outgoing mail server, but vodafone do have mail server that can be used, more information can be found on Vodafone website here
N/A

More information can be found here
pushbikes-uk
Grafter

Thanks fopr the info
So are you saying I would be better off using the PN backup number or the GPRS on the phone.
I only need to browse to my site and log into it also I can check my mail both on my site and on here by logging in, is that correct?

I only may need to send one or two emails its mainly to check orders

Thanks Lee
N/A

I normally use GPRS as it's faster and you pay for the data used and not the time that you are logged on for. After you have paired the phone with the laptop you should be able to setup a DUN using the Sony Ericsson data suite.