cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need assurance that 39.99 still gets priority on 8Mb

N/A

With the imminent arrival of 8Mb being reported on adslguide.org, It's being discussed that plusnet will be placing all its customers on order with BT for upgrades... (as BT will not be doing it automatically)

Given that Plusnet will have the ability to upgrade customers on an individual basis with BT, I'm looking for an assurance and some acknwledgement from f9/PN that I will genuinely be at the front of the queue and that the order with BT for *my* upgrade will be placed before any other customers.

I think this is the least I deserve for being loyal with the continued payments 39.99 per month since you first announced this "queue jumping tariff" that you've probably all now forgotten about.

I would even expect to get priority over the other customers who have only recently upgraded to the 39.99 tariff.

I know that may sound arrogant, but I feel I'm fully entitled to this VIP status for being patient enough to continue paying 39.99 for a year with nothing in return other than a flimsy promise... and then only to discover that my 8Mb product is only going to cost 21.99 afterall!!

My worry is that so much time has passed since the original promise that it may not be taken seriously now, and f9/PN will just place the order for all customers simultaneously.... and I wouldn't be surprised if an f9 customer comes second place to a plusnet customer in the queue. I'd like some reminders to be sent back up to management about the minority of us that are still expecting *exceptional speedy service* when it comes to upgrades. And please don't fob us off and blame BT for delays when in reality it's because you flooded BT with too many orders for the non VIP customers.

If this transition to 8Mb is handled in a shoddy way for the VIP 39.99 customers then god forbitd the stink I'll kick up.
15 REPLIES
N/A

Hummm!! will watch this one closely with great interest. Paying £39.99 is either extremely far sighted or just naive and at this point I still cannot make up my mind TBH. I really hope you arent let down too, I think that would be really sick for them to renaige on that promis but like you I still think your skating on thin ice, only time will tell.

**I have seen information that says my BT exchange here in Leeds will be upgraded to an 8Meg service starting at some point after the 1st April. But knowing how BT do these things and judging from past track record. This is too be taken with a pinch of salt, basically when BT say such things its utterly meaningly less. In other words my exchange MAY be upgraded to 8megs any time in the next 12months and they're NOT going to tell you when. Only that it will be done at some point, I wont be holding my breath I can tell you. Good job I'm already happy with a working stable 2meg service.

Ivan
N/A

If my exchange is genuinely delayed in being upgraged by BT then I obviously don't hold it against plusnet.... I'll just have to wait, and that's fine.

However, I will be very angry if my exchange *has* been upgraded/enabled and I still have to wait several months to be upgraded behind a backlog.

I'm moving house in about 6 months, and my new exchange is actually a big one with several LLU providers..... it would be a real kick in the teeth if I only just manage to get 8Mb here just a few weeks before I move.... this is why I neeed the upgrade ASAP so that I can at least get some use out of what I've been paying for before I move.
N/A

I know this has been posted before, but it seems relevant

http://usergroup.f9.net.uk/news_dslmaxchecker.php

Provides a best guess on 8Meg implementation for you exchange based on information provided by BT. But as always, things may change.
JonathanW
Grafter

If you're on a package that is currently listed as Up To 4mb or Up To 8mb, then you'll be at the front of the queue to be upgraded. As everyone else will only be upgraded once the products are refreshed.
N/A

I know this has been posted before, but it seems relevant

http://usergroup.f9.net.uk/news_dslmaxchecker.php

Provides a best guess on 8Meg implementation for you exchange based on information provided by BT. But as always, things may change.

Thanks, I had already checked that, and is one of the main reasons for starting this thread.... my exchange is listed as being enabled at the end of this month, although that appears to be the default date for most exchanges.
N/A

If you're on a package that is currently listed as Up To 4mb or Up To 8mb, then you'll be at the front of the queue to be upgraded. As everyone else will only be upgraded once the products are refreshed.

Thanks.... your wording sounds like I won't get priority over people who have only just recently upgraded to 39.99

Of course I don't know the numbers involved..... if the number of customers already on the 4mb and 8mb products are very small then perhaps it's a minor issue.
N/A

Hi glasstower,

Thanks, I had already checked that, and is one of the main reasons for starting this thread.... my exchange is listed as being enabled at the end of this month, although that appears to be the default date for most exchanges.

I dont get your hopes up too much because as I stated before what ever BT tells you with regards your exchange being upgraded. You can take it with a large pinch of salt, end of this month means it will get upgraded when BT finally gets round to it, which can in reality mean anything from the next 3 months time to a years time who knows. BT are notorious for never giving exact dates for doing this kind of work, & nortorious for puttting back dates due to delays in the work. Perhaps I'm just being cynical though?

Ivan
N/A

been paying £29.99 for about 4 years now without changing my package because i was told i'd get priority if i stuck with the product i have rather than swiching to a cheaper price one. I eventually got an email at the end of January regarding this, here's an extract:

------------------------
You will get a free upgrade to faster speeds, if your line will support them. We will be updating all our broadband products to reflect the faster speeds, with some customers also seeing price reductions – find out more at http://www.force9.net/go.html/product_update/ifqbN2zYDu1Y

If you’re already paying for an up to 4Mb or an up to 8Mb product and we find that you cannot get these speeds, you will get a refund of any extra money that you have paid, providing you have not taken advantage of the higher levels of usage available on these products. We’ll contact you in the coming weeks with more details about this if it applies to you.

I'd say it applies pretty strongly as I've been paying over the odds for the product i'm currently recieving for a while now. However, their 'coming weeks' would actually appear to be 'coming months' at best. I'm seriously starting to run out of patients. I don't know about anybody else. :x
N/A

Hello glyn666,

Sadly, I think your being rather naive given the situation, I'd say your paying well over the odd's for something that may or may not materialise. How will you know if you've had priority over others in terms of upgrade? You only have what F9 have told you, do you have that promise in writing for example?

Personally I'd be suprised if you ever did? I think it would have to months of the new service in place before you could tell, all this is NOT dependant on F9 its dependant on BT & your phone exchange & DSLAM being upgraded.

Look if you've read through the various other postings on the subject of 8Megs, & various articles BT has openly reported across the UK press that it is in the process of upgrading ALL 5,300 ish BT exchanges to ADSL MAX (next generation of high speed BB). Once the exchanges have been upgraded a high % of BT customers have already been told they will receive a free upgrade to their current service. This includes Force9 PlusNet who themselves have said current customers will receive a free upgrade to their present service (although once again I take this with a pinch of salt knowing BT's past record on so called free upgrades). So my questions is what benefit or advantage does paying over the odds give you, given that F9 have imposed a strict rule that 1) you must have stuck with the current product 2) NOT used the xtra capacity or allowence that comes with the service (this is a non sense IMO).

**BT's past track record on so called free upgrades even to F9 customers has been appaulingly slow to say the least. I gave up waiting for my so called free upgrade from 512K to 2megs. I opted for the paid upgrade and as far as I am concerned its the best £15 quid I ever spent otherwise I'd still be waiting mate. My guess and it is just a guess is that BT will once again behave in the same way as in the past, yes! free upgrades to 8megs if your prepared to wait 18months for them to get around to it. No! sorry I will be paying once again for an upgrade from 2megs to 8megs when it becomes available when ever that possibility arrives with F9.

**So dont hold your breath for the free 8Megs upgrade thats my opinion for what its worth.

Ivan
N/A

Being realistic,

I think you can expect to be near the front of the queue.

Those people currently on 2M (everyone) and paying for 2M (the vast majority) will need to request to change tarriffs (from 21.99 to 29.99/39.99) in order to get higher speeds. This will have be be done by the customer (and therefore will be slow).

All those people who (IMHO stupidly) have been paying for £39.99 for the past YEAR! for 8M can already be consider as having made the request - and therefore their details will be processed by BT much sooner.

But if you think that BT and/or F9 are going to wait until all the existing £39.99 paying customers are upgraded to 8M before processing everyone else, then you are going to be vastly disappointed.

I am almost positive that if I were a £21.99 customer on the same exchange as yourself - and I asked F9 for the upgrade - I would expect my order to processed at roughly the same time as yours. Moreover, given the vagueries of BT's scheduling system, I would see it possible (but not especially likely) that my request could be actioned before yours. (I hold as precident the 512->2M upgrade -- everyone got a free upgrade dicated by BT's internal schedule, but those of us who were willing to pay the £14.99 upgrade fee were put right at the top of the queue).

Basically those who express a preference and are willing to pay will be upgraded first. You've already expressed a preference and have paid, so that includes you. But if I put my money up - that would include me too, and the fact that I am £240 better off is just your bad luck).

I would put it to the test, but I don't especially want 8M. As pointed out in order threads, we no longer pay for speed anymore - we pay for capacity. Unfortunately F9 don't advertise capacity, they advertise speed. (Seen any banner ads recently with "60Gig peaktime usage limits have arrived!!!" or a "200Gig monthly usage limit availablity checker" ? -- nope neither have I, they sell 2Meg, 4Meg or 8Meg, but it buys you 30/100, 45/150 or 60/200).

When you get 8M, you're going to download XP Service Pack 2 - and go "wow, look at the speed!", and somewhere further down the line you're going to be paying a subscription to Sky to watch PAYG TV/Films that require at least 4M. But the majority of customers for the near future are going to be browsing websites that will appear marginally quicker, playing online games that aren't optimised for anywhere near that sort of speed or downloading via P2P, where the various traffic shaping measures are going to mean that there are likely to periods during the month where they don't get anywhere near 8M. Personally, I can't see the point of being at the front of the queue. (Actually, that gives me a thought, but I'm going to start a separate thread about that).
N/A

Hi Again,

I agree with an aweful lot of what "queeg500" has just said, I think your going to be disappointed too but time will tell hay!.

Nobody so far in this thread/discussion has mentioned why? BT is in such a rush to upgrade all its local exchanges to the 8Meg service. From what I have read recently in the IT & computer press the main drivers for 8megs are that BT are going to implement a video on demand movie download service, & also TV programs such as repeats or programs you missed service. In other words such a service requires atleast a 4meg connection to be streamed over the web to work with any realistic quality of delivery.

**Secondly, BT aim to complete head on with other rivals such as SKY and NTL Telewest not too mention others that I'm not even familar with at this point in time (yes! I'm sure there are many others I dont even know about or have never heard of?).

**The future of TV is definately shifting to a more webcentric focus and in a few years time my guess is that ALL media will be largely (90% or more) delivered via the web, with only a very few remaining media services delivered via non web methods such as radio,etc.

Ivan
N/A

Hmm... looks like I maybe able to race you for a connection to 8M afterall. My exchange is tentatively to be enabled at the end of March, I already know my attenuation, etc will allow for a 10Meg downstream and a 1Meg upstream connection (so no chance they're going to reject my upgrade). All we have to do now is wait and see if they're going to offer the same £14.99 upgrade fee opportunity to jump the queue as they did with the 2Meg upgrades.

Looks like F9 are taking the CBC pricing structure literally and giving 8Meg to everyone who can support it in the same way they rolled out 2M for everyone.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop (probably peak usage limits so draconian that the only thing you'll be able to do between 4pm and midnight is use PlusTalk and check your emails). But we'll see.

It's a really shame.... I used to read F9's announcments from the top down. Now I read them backwards, checking for the "small print" first.
N/A

i agree as well with a lot of the posts in this thread.

IMHO I don't think F9 will give out any refunds to people, reason being it will cost too much. They wouldn't give customers a refund before so why start now.

The way F9 are going they are slowly moving down the list of top isps and being overtaken by others.

Even I'm leaving F9 as a paying customer, mainly because of all the changes, etc that they are doing but without being open to their customer base about it.

They would also need to increase cap levels if they want to compete with a lot of the other providers out there, especially if they want to advertise their packages are good for video/audio streaming.

Have a look around some IT websites, and other online resellers, network media devices are popping up all over the place to stream video content from your pc and the web. there is even a wireless radio system that connects to web and gives you over 2000 radio stations to listen too, and like cyteck says more and more media will be internet based only.

In all I think BT themselves are wasting money upgrading exchanges at the moment when they should be putting money into upgrading cable to fibre first, ready for even higher speeds.

As for the refund on the excessive payments you've been making you could try claiming them back already, as you've been paying for 8mb but not actually been supplied it, so F9 or any other provider who has been charging customers for 8mb connections and not actually providing then haven't met their contractual agreement, thus meaning you should be entitled to a refund, but getting it is a different matter

regards
mike
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Best thing I can say right now is give us a few days to cross the i's and dot the t's on the announcement, run the newsletter through the internal testing and ensure the CSC have been fully briefed and we'll get the details out to you to see.