cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly unusable throttled connection

N/A

I am a heavy user. I have been throttled. I am trying to migrate away but have problems with the ISP I am trying to migrate to but won't go into a discussion about that here.

My problem is that although I have been put on the throttled profile until I migrate out the connection is nearly unusable. I should be getting a little better than dialup speeds of 67kbps.

I am not.

I am getting a measly maximum of about 15kbps!

Now I have tried everything I can think of including playing with MTU, RWIN, MaxConnections and even pulling out an old Alcatel green ADSL USB modem to test the connection. No cigar.

I phoned a few times and raised a ticket about it. But PlusNET do not care. Their support staff do not know what the problem is and sympathise but those above them will not tell them why I am not even getting dialup speeds. All I get is that all I can expect is 'up to 67kbps' speeds. But honestly a max of 15kbps (It varies between 0 to 1.7 Kilobytes per second) is nearly impossible to use for web browsing. Pages are timing out it's so slow.

If this is how PlusNET treat their outgoing customers then I am glad I am leaving and will be asking others to leave too. I will talk my father around to leaving too just because of this.

I accept I broke PlusNET's rules (Which were late coming without a real warning and no VMU in place to even check my usage against during peak times I might add). But this seems unfair. As long as I have still paid I should still be entitled to get at least what they say I should be getting even on a throttled profile.

It's very sad how PlusNET are treating their customer base these days.

:roll:
3 REPLIES
N/A

what package are you on?
N/A

Exactly the same situation here. Unusable internet just after receiving email advising a restriction on speed had been applied to my connection.

Yes I broke the fair usage policy...

I have phoned 10 times over the past 3 days to get the restriction lifted but guess what... you can't have restriction lifted over the phone. You need to raise a ticket, but then if I can't even open the web page...

My speed has not been capped to 67KBps but to 1KBps.

Another unhappy customer on his way out

Tiscali sounds good, time to request MAC
N/A

what package are you on?

Premier 2mbit