cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Napster

N/A

Napster

I am thinking of taking a look at Napster. Is it classed as a p2p application?

Thanks

Mark
5 REPLIES
N/A

Napster

Intersting you asked that I was wondering about napster and the new hmv music service too.

I've looked at the traffic napster generates. The music seems to be transfered using port 80 requests that look exactly like HTTP requests. BUT they are big files transfers and are not application http or jpg etc so it depends on how deep f9s packet inspection system looks at the data. It could well be that they are given low priority as the traffic won't look like normal webpage traffic and will probably look more like a download of a large file.
N/A

Napster

I looked at it as a recommendation from this forum as I am hoping to get some tracks for my SOn which have been censored. I can download music from Woolworths with no problems, but that is just a normal download as far as I can tell.

I have looked at the Napster control panel and some of the file structure shows "music sharing" but reading te bumf, it looks as though files are shared by mail rather than by taking it from a "mass pool" of interconnected computers.

Cheers

Mark
N/A

Napster

If you download a recent copy of the napster client from there website now it is a legit legal service which is centralised.

The music you download comes from the napster servers and is not shared with other users. So in that sense it is not a P2P application.

The sharing bit you saw was probably to do with the fact that there are public playlists of music that users have listened to or purchased. So you can browse what other people like to listen to.
N/A

Napster

Aha, I may give it a go tomorrow then. Thanks for that.

Mark
N/A

Napster

Just as a follow up. I have downloaded Napster Light as I do not need the subscription based stuff. This allows me to purchase track by track or by album. So far, it seems to be running smoothly so it cannot be classed as a P2P application Cheesy

Cheers

Mark