cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL Speed againts Plus

N/A

NTL Speed againts Plus

Well I decided to do some speed testing against a friends NTl. We tried the www.speedtest.net to london. So He did it he got

NTL
D/L: 980 ( He is on 1Meg)
U/L: 100
Ping: 23

Mine

D/L: 2000 (I normally get 6000, speed just changes randomly)
U/L: 525 ( All is good here)
Ping: 63 (Now why is my so much higher. I know cable have lower pings but 63 is way to high it really should be about 30.)
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

NTL Speed againts Plus

Which tells you that a 1MB cable line is slower than a (LLU? probably 8MB) PN connection Smiley
As you're not comparing like-for-like, it's hard to see quite what you were hoping to achieve by the comparison ...
N/A

NTL Speed againts Plus

I really am comparing for ping. Why is my ping so much higher. Is interleaving causing this?
Community Veteran

NTL Speed againts Plus

Its the most likely explanation, also the different paths and routes the connections take can explain as well as load on the speedtest server, many different things can cause you to have a ping like that
James
Grafter

NTL Speed againts Plus

I really am comparing for ping. Why is my ping so much higher. Is interleaving causing this?

It's almost definitely caused by interleaving. I'm currently awaiting the addition of extra profiles so that we can turn it off.
N/A

NTL Speed againts Plus

Ah right thanks. Just wondering how long will it take to get these extra profiles?
N/A

NTL Speed againts Plus

So could I have interleaving turned off then.
James
Grafter

NTL Speed againts Plus

Not sure on timescales currently.

Sarah's going to chase Tiscali next week (she's on hol currently).
N/A

NTL Speed againts Plus

OK. I raised a Ticket just before you replied.
N/A

NTL Speed againts Plus

Bump.

Any news on Interleaving on Tiscali LLu yet?
tumnus
Grafter

NTL Speed againts Plus

I'm on an Interleaved LLU profile and my ping to www.bbc.net.uk averages to 29ms. Before Interleaving it was averaging 24ms, so it doesn't add much.

Also note that www.speedtest.net can use different servers for each download test and the ping might come from the download server too so different routes to different servers can have an affect.

Finally, the ping on www.speedtest.net isn't very reliable anyway as for one it doesn't average the ping out over any significant length of time and it can be affected by how busy your CPU is and all the fancy flash takes its toll. I've seen that site give me pings from 40ms up to 180ms.
N/A

NTL Speed againts Plus

Well. I used to have pings of about 19-24. They went up to about 40-60. That is a big leap.