cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTL Imposes Limits

N/A

NTL Imposes Limits

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2740621.stm

NTL have introduced a 1GB per day limit on their broadband service.

I'm glad Plusnet don't have any limits on the amount you can download per day.

I hope they don't get any ideas though :-)

Jon.
4 REPLIES
fonejacker
Grafter

RE: NTL Imposes Limits

Hi Jon,

I always like to take the opportunity to point out that bandwidth is a finite resource and as an ISP is charged per GB for the bandwidth it uses, there is always a balance that needs to be struck - no ISP can offer a product that costs more to provide than the revenue it generates.

At the moment though, we do have a sustainable product and we have no need to implement bandwidth restricitons. Of course, nobody can predict how Internet usage may change in the future so no ISP could say for sure that a bandwidth limit won't be neccessary...

What you can be sure of is that we have our customers best interests at heart and we like to consult with users about every decision we make!

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2740621.stm
>
> NTL have introduced a 1GB per day limit on their broadband service.
>
> I'm glad Plusnet don't have any limits on the amount you can download per day.
>
> I hope they don't get any ideas though :-)
>
> Jon.

We are lucky in UK with no limits on DSL on most ISP's, due to it being fairly new.

But ask any german or dutch ppl you play online, what they're limited too and you wont like what you hear. Those limits will come just a matter of time.

Just remember when 56k 2 or 4 hour cut offs came in and became the norm, it will happen with DSL.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Hi Gus,

I agree entirely with what you say, and I hope plusnet don't impose any bandwidth limits - but I recognise that you can't run at a loss. I don't think I've ever got anywhere near 1GB per day on my connection though (probably around 200 - 300MB is the most), but it's nice to know that I could go over 1GB if I needed to.

This is especially the case if you run Windows and anti-virus software, both of which demand frequent (and often large) updates. It is also true if you want to download Linux install CDs.

Jon.
N/A

> Hi Gus,
>

Sorry, put the wrong name, I meant that as a reply to Ian!

Jon.