Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDO FUP

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

NDO FUP

Just out of interest I had a look at NDO's FUP. What a difference to PlusNet SUP/FUP. Simple, straight forward that even an idiot could understand it. Life can be more simpler than PlusNet.
11 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

NDO FUP

And this helps whom? The key difference here is yes, the FUP / SUP etc... is a lot more confusing here. But it is there to benefit the end users in as many ways as possible.

They could just put a hard cap on traffic, but this would have to be much lower than the SUP / Clean To usage allows. And the way Plusnet have it now is much fairer for everyone.
glloyd
Rising Star

NDO FUP

That's your opinion and not what's reflected on this and other forums. All I see is total confusion and people complaining of slow speeds.
N/A

NDO FUP

And this helps whom? The key difference here is yes, the FUP / SUP etc... is a lot more confusing here. But it is there to benefit the end users in as many ways as possible.

They could just put a hard cap on traffic, but this would have to be much lower than the SUP / Clean To usage allows. And the way Plusnet have it now is much fairer for everyone.

The benefit being profit for PN if you ask me. 5GB cap on service is just a company being greedy.

Surely they couldnt hard cap it because then they would have to let customers out of the service for free due to a massive change in contractual terms?

PN have went wayy over the top in the way of bandwidth limitations to the point even some of their CS staff dont know whats going on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

NDO FUP

I think its quite funny looking at that policy.
It is of course not sustainable Smiley
However look at this post from Aug 05 - seems very similar doesn't it.
Dear customers,

I’d like to give you an update on how we are managing our network, in order to continue to offer all our customers an excellent service at a great-value price.

In line with our ongoing network management plans, on Friday we will be applying a managed profile to customers who have continued to use an unsustainable amount of bandwidth on the service (in excess of 150GB per month on average). Their continued very heavy usage was causing a detrimental impact on all our other customers, so we will take steps to protect our other customers from this very small number of very heavy users. Approximately half of the customers we contacted two weeks ago have reduced their usage, so we are taking no further action against them.

In September we will again review our customers’ usage to identify those using the service an unsustainable amount. More than 90% of our customers use less than 10GB per month. We have previously stated that we consider anything above 100GB per month for a £21.99 Premier customer to be unsustainable. For customers paying £29.99 this is increased by 50GB, and for customers paying £39.99 per month this is increased by a further 50GB. Therefore what we consider to be unsustainable is higher for customers who pay more. These are not ‘caps’ or set limits and depend on what time of day customers use their service. What we deem to be unsustainable will change over time as usage patterns change. We will always focus on those customers who drive peak time capacity and therefore we remind customers to please schedule large downloads to off-peak times.

In line with the growth of our overall customer base, we enabled a further segment of central bandwidth yesterday. Combined with the action we are taking against the very small number of customers using the service unsustainably, the increase in bandwidth should mean all customers see noticeable improvements at peak times.

We continue to use our intelligent network platform to prioritise and shape different traffic types to ensure that customers receive an excellent experience, with time-sensitive applications prioritised at peak times. The level of shaping should only mean a very small percentage reduction in peak time file sharing speeds for Premier customers. The network shaping is virtually unnoticeable for business customers.

We are also in the process of updating our bandwidth utilisation graphs to give our customers more information on how we manage our network and how it is performing. We continue to do this in order to be as open with information for our customers as possible.

We will continue to increase bandwidth on our network as and when we need it. We will also continue to manage customers who use the service unsustainably in order to continue to provide all of our customers with an excellent service at a great value price.

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
plusnet Marketing
http://www.plus.net
N/A

NDO FUP

And this helps whom?

I'd suggest that by looking at how others do it, it helps PlusNet, and all of their customers. If seeing another way of doing things can help improve how it's done here, surely that's beneficial to all of us?

I know I'd much rather an easy to understand usage policy, than one that I don't understand. Nildram also have a very easy to understand policy (which from memory is 50GB transfer during Peak hours, offpeak isn't counted, and if you don't use your full 50GB during a month it can roll over to the next). Not saying that other ISP's policies will suit what PN needs, but there surely has/can be a lot to be learnt from looking at how others are doing it, and improving on how they're doing it.
glloyd
Rising Star

NDO FUP

From looking around, out of interest, most ISP's have a simply to understand SUP/FUP policy. It's only Plusnet that has a system that takes an accountant to understand.
passer
Grafter

NDO FUP

I agree with glloyd. I don't need to worry about the usage policies, but jeez - talk about complicated! I think most people would be happier with a straightforward cap. X gig and you're out, or X gig and you're charged extra. A bit like PAYG, really, without the management. What cheeses me off is being a light/moderate user and not being able to use my connection when I want to due to the management (that's the overall management, not the user-level stuff).

I have to disagree with Liam when he says
And the way Plusnet have it now is much fairer for everyone.

It certainly isn't fairer for me, mate.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

NDO FUP

The benefit being profit for PN if you ask me. 5GB cap on service is just a company being greedy.

Which product has a 5GB cap? If you mean the Broadband Plus then that's just a guideline figure for usage between 8am and midnight before you reach level 1, you can still download overnight (and do 50GB overnight if you want) and still download during the day, it'll just get slower.

For £14.99 I think that represents excellent value for money. Compare it with other products around the same price point and ask how much usage you'll get. Wanadoo's £17.99 package is 2GB per month, what's the fair usage on Tiscali's "unlimited" £14.99 package? BT Broadband £17.99 is 2GB, F2S 2GB between 6am and 1am at £17.99. I could go on, but instead I'll just post another of my analogies.

This is something that's been bandied about before a little, but I've expanded it a bit.

Here's how to imagine the different products we offer as if PlusNet was Ted's of Beverley Hills Steak House.

First, PAYG. Pretty easy to describe, you pay an entry fee to get into the restaurant and get a plate of food up front. Pay a little more up front and you get a few more plates of food. Then every extra plate of food you buy you pay a flat rate for. Each plate of food costs the same amount and is equal to a full meal, but they can be anything you like. A plate of egg and chips costs the same as lobster or steak meal for example.

You also get a few little extras with PAYG, valet parking in Ted's garage, a large Ted (a rum and Coke) at the bar and a selection of baked potatoes from the potato tree.

The kitchen is always open and it doesn't matter when you eat, because you are handing over the money everytime you order the chef will always ensure that you get priority service.

Next is Plus. Again you pay an upfront fee to get in the restaurant, but here between 8am and midnight you can either eat small portions and nibbles from the bar or you can eat the main meals but you have to wait a little longer for your food to be brought out. In order to ensure that they can serve everyone there does come a point where the waiters will visit your table less often to bring you more food.

Overnight between midnight and 8am the restaurant is quiet and you can order any food you like and the chef will prepare and cook it as quick as he can.

You don't get as many of the little extras as the PAYG customers, you have to park your own car and you get small Ted at the bar.

Finally we have Premier. You pay a higher entry fee to Plus and PAYG and you get all the extras included with PAYG - valet parking in Ted's garage, a large Ted at the bar and a selection of baked potatoes from the potato tree.

Between 8am and midnight you can eat any of the main meals you like, or the nibbles or you can go for the small portions if you like. However, to ensure that they can serve everyone once you've had so many meals you have to wait a little longer for your main meals to be brought out, although any nibbles and small portions are still brought out whenever you want them.

Like Plus, overnight between midnight and 8am the restaurant is quiet and you can order any food you like and the chef will prepare and cook it as quick as he can.

At the end of the month Ted will take a look at how much food you ordered between 4pm and midnight and in total and if it's too much he'll either just ask you to cut down a little, or he'll tell his waiters not to serve you as much next month, or just to cut down on how many main meals they bring you between 4pm and midnight.
passer
Grafter

NDO FUP

Cracking analogy, Dave Smiley

However, Ted needs to be careful, because the queue of people at the door trying to work out what option to go for will discourage new customers, and they'll all end up next door, at Wally's "all you can eat in an hour", because at least they understand the rules there!
N/A

NDO FUP

I guess Dave's analogy gets it just right. Just think of how many times you've ordered (and paid) for something at a restaurant, and been told it'll be "20 minutes", just to find you're still sitting there 45 minutes later with nothing. And when it turns up it's half cold or the portion sizes aren't what you had last time you went there.

Now if you complain they might be the restaurant that says "terribly sorry, we'll replace it immediately" or they might say "huh? wot? am I bovvered" and just walk off all high and mighty. PlusNet of late has been the latter.

Would you go back to that restaurant if you found the quality was slipping? You might think it was a one off, maybe it was just a bad/busy day, but for how many times? The one down the road is getting rave reviews...

If PlusNet could ensure they're able to offer the food hot and on time every time that you order, during your month that you paid for, and not change the menu mid-month, I reckon a lot of customers would have a lot more sympathy. PlusNet needs to be the restaurant where you feel special and want to go back, almost a bit like an exclusive members-only thing, where the Chef knows you personally and ensures you get the deal that you've paid for. Instead at the moment it feels a bit like a busy city-centre Weatherspoons at a weekend with the main Chef on holiday and one from another branch filling in, and obviously not knowing who you are.

Make us all feel special PlusNet!
N/A

NDO FUP

1. An end user who values the simplicity of a product, higher than other factors.

2. An isp, who understands that consumers frequently put a high emphasis on simplicity, when choosing products/services and who they buy them from, and wishes to attract their custom.