cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyExchange Has Gone Backwards ??????

N/A

Hi Folks

For the last few days my connection has got slower and slower have just done a spped test and got a 127kbps the last time I tested which was a few weeks ahot I got 2287kbps and its always hovered around the 2000kbps mark

I thought it was a problem with plusnet but now I am not to sure I used samknows and did a availability check on my phone number and postcode and it says that my exchange does not support 2mb or 1mb but only 512 or 256 !!!! now I have been on a 2mb connection for ages now but not no more :-(

here's what it says in full....

ADSL is available in your area
Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 0.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 2.34km from the exchange (straight line distance).

There appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing DSL connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Your BT ADSL code is: REGEGEC

can anybody make sense of the compatibility issue it says I am having ?

Cheers

Dave
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Don't worry about the compatibility issue, the line checker is just picking up that you have broadband on the line, but for data protection reasons BT don't say that you have broadband just that you have "something" on the line which could be any of the things listed.

Regarding the speed, what speed is you line sync'd at and does it lose sync or change sync speed? If the sync's dropped down below 288kbps even for a few minutes that will cause the throughput speed to drop. Only if the line stays sync'd at a higher rate for at least 3-5 days will the throughput increase again.
N/A

Thanks for the super quick reply ok so how do I check what speed my line in sync'd at ?

this is what my router is telling me ....

Mode State Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
G.DMT SHOWTIME 448000 1184000 14.5 45.0

Does this tell you anything ?

Dave

PS

Why when I do an availabilty check on my exchange does it say I can only get 512K broadband ?

Oh and one more thing :-) all the various speed test sites I have used today have all got my upload speeds about 3 times that of my download speed ie download 133kbps upload 333kbps :-( very weird
N/A

I have just spoke to Sky this morning as I had got my code emailed to me and thought I'd find out a few things about there service the sky rep asked me for my tel number and confirmed to me that my exchange "Heath Hayes" is only 512kbps !!!

Now up until a few days ago I was getting 2mb but when I check my stable rate it says I am on 500 :-(

Could it be a problem with my line all other equipment or would it be poss that my exchange is having probs and dropped it down to 500 untill it sorts it out ? If so how can I check that out ?

Cheers

Dave
Community Veteran

According to the Exchange Status Checker http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?
it's enabled for MaxDSL
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

Yeah I saw that too but if I now use any of the Broadband availabilty checkers they all say that I will only be able to have a service that provides a line rate up to 512Kbps and as I said before I was getting over 2mb just last week and have been for well over a year

The BT checker also says that "our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 500kbps or greater"

anybody have any clues ?

Dave
N/A

This is what I have been getting for the last week or so

Plusnet support tell me thats there is nothing wrong!

Its like being back on dialup

here is what my router is showing me can anybody see any probs here ?

Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 3456 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 22 dB 5 dB
Attenuation 54 dB 44 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 0 967
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 0 3
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

Statistics
Received Cells 72234
Transmitted Cells 29962

Dave
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I've just had a look at the BT speed reports for your line and the last report we have is that the throughput speed on the BRAS was set to 160kbps, this was done on 2/9/06 around 8:30am.

Do you notice if the router is losing sync? I would suspect that on 2nd the router lost sync and resync'd at a speed below 288kbps. It may have only done this for a short period but this would likely be enough to cause the throughput speed to decrease to 160kbps.

This is how Max works, if the sync speeds decreases then the throughput limit is dropped almost straight away to compensate, but to increase the throughput, the sync rate needs to increase and stay stable for at least 3-5 days.

Now the question to ask is why hasn't your throughput gone back up. The sync rate has (Down Stream 3456 (Kbps.)) increased, but the question to ask is has it decreased again since that first drop? If so then that will reset the 3-5 day clock.

Can you check if the router's lost sync at all, or keep an eye on it to see if it disconnects and loses sync? If it doesn't lose sync, as I say the throughput should go back automatically, if it does then we need to find out why it's dropping sync.

Most common reasons are wiring and filters, I'd suggest having a read through this

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if anything helps. If not, then it might be that the line is sync'ing at too high a rate.

The line checker is only a estimate of what the line can support and can often be wrong, but a 500kbps speed would indicate a long line, the attenuation figures on the line agree so 3456kbos may be too high a rate for the line, the 5dB downstream SNR is also indicative of line sync'ing at too high a rate (BT by default aim for a target SNR of 6dB and set the line speed to sync at that). If the line is losing sync I would suggest raising a fault to increase that to probably 9 or 12dB to decrease the speed to make it more stable.