cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My time has come i'm afraid

N/A

Hello All,

Some of you may not of heard of me before, while others know me or further still have come to know me well.

I was given the opportunity to moderate these forums in February last year. I have since enjoyed the role I have filled and believe that I have always done this to the best of my abilities and also always in a fair manner. However although I haven’t perhaps spent as long in moderating these forums as Chris did or Mark, I have still however come to my crossroads in life where I am unfortunately faced with a decision in what I want to do.

As much as I would love to carry on in my present role and watch the new community site go live soon and see PlusNet into a new way of Broadband I however lack time, energy and commitment. My time now is being taken up by family life as well as a number of different workloads put upon me which also takes it out of me energy wise. I say commitment not because I don’t believe in what is being done or what PlusNet are attempting to do but because I can no longer commit to being able to donate enough of my time to the community and so it would be the community that would suffer as a result and not PlusNet.

To make it a perfect end for myself I will also be downgrading my account to a PAYG account and so move my net access elsewhere, so unfortunately again I would say that I would come visit from time to time but this would be no longer possible either.

Just to stop any conspiracy rumours or anything, I am not leaving because of anything that is being done, was done etc. I simply wish to sample the fruits of life (well broadband wise anyhow) and so will see what life is really like on the other side of the garden wall.

My account is due to be downgraded on the 29th of this month (June) which means I only have a short three weeks left to serve. All donations and farewell gifts welcome, please request postal address via PM :lol: (JOKE).

It's been great serving you and I wish you all the very best, and hope that my successor will have as much energy and fun in the helping of the running of the boards as I have had.

Regard's,
25 REPLIES
N/A

Tom's PCs
Is that the computer shop on the High Street, Nottingham??

No I haven't heard of you before. And what is a moderating administrator?

Have I got this right?
Administrators are paid employees of PN?
Moderators are unpaid people who voluntarily moderate these boards from home??
So what do you do, from where and are you paid?

Oh and it's just a coincidence that you are stopping now AND moving ISP. Yeahh. I know how you feel. At least with a new ISP you will escape the dreaded Spam!

As you say: time to go and see what is happening out there in the real world and get away from the moaning Minnies into whose arms I am fast being forced myself.

Best of luck but don't expect much sympathy here.

Regards
GCJ
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Just to say thanks for your all your work Tom Smiley

Judging from some of the responses to this thread and others, I don't think your work as a moderator is quite over yet :roll:

EDIT: forgot the thanks
Community Veteran

Someone within phpBB which can configure accounts, access the admin panel and edit, remove, lock, split or move any post, not just their own.

In terms of these forms, this should explain it
Have I got this right?

Nope you've got that wrong (see link above).
Moderators are unpaid people who voluntarily moderate these boards from home?Huh

Yes well I'd guess not just from home, but yes unpaid and voluntarily is correct.

I'll let Tom could answer the first two for himself, but I am sure the answer to the last part would be No!
N/A

Hunthome

Thanks for the clarifications. All that responsibilty, time, effort and, no doubt, hassle. All for free. Don't they even get their BB connection for free? I know Yorkshire folk are tight but really!

Free labour - rather like the old YTS kids or work experience. Hmmmmm. I bet they don't have a union at PlusNet Towers.

You mentioned in your second reply above:
"Although the same could be said for unconstructive off-topic posts as well"
Whose post was that aimed at precisely?

Regards
GCJ

N/A

Tom's PCs
Is that the computer shop on the High Street, Nottingham??

Have I got this right?
Moderators are unpaid people who voluntarily moderate these boards from home??

Oh and it's just a coincidence that you are stopping now AND moving ISP. Yeahh. I know how you feel. At least with a new ISP you will escape the dreaded Spam!

As you say: time to go and see what is happening out there in the real world and get away from the moaning Minnies into whose arms I am fast being forced myself.

Best of luck but don't expect much sympathy here.

Regards
GCJ

No, the shop you mentioned is not myself. Although these were my intentions when first joining I soon found competition round my area to be too high for any decent share of the market available.

On other notes, yes I am a Moderating Administrator, but I am unpaid and only a volunteer. A customer of PlusNet's such as yourself. I don't benefit from being a Moderator other than getting that nice feeling inside that I am doing something good for the community.

As mentioned by Bob and others above, can we please put this topic back on track. Although I will be resigning, I will not allow for threads to be hijacked, dragged off topic or be turned into a shouting match by anyone.

Thank you for your comments Bob and hunthome.
Community Veteran

Thanks for your stint, Tom.

It's been good working with you, both as a Mod and as member of the PlusNet Team.

Cheers
Colin
Community Veteran

Tom,

Sorry to see that you're going, but can completely understand why.

So, I'll wish you the very best for the future and I hope that you'll certainly keep in touch.

Take care,

Roger.
N/A

Peggywan wrote

I think someone should edit Bob's quotes

I think Tom's gone de-mob happy and missed it. Or perhaps he isn't allowed to censor paid staff's quotes. He is only an unpaid volunteer you know.

Regards
GCJ

PS can someone remind me how to get the "username wrote:" bit in front of quotes in these messages.
Thanks (non-techie) GCJ
Community Veteran

Mods can and will edit any post, whether from staff or even other mods (and I've seen both been edited before). Same rules still apply to all of us.

I think Tom's just missed it.

For the quote, rather than using:
[quote]I said blah blah blah[/quote]

Giving:
I said blah blah blah

You shove a = then "[username]" on the first quote tag, so to quote myself I would do:
[quote="hunthome"]I said blah blah blah[/quote]

I said blah blah blah

And as Roger has just posted, you can use the Quote button too. But I usually trim out all but only the relevant bits I am replying to, and of course try not to quote the whole preceding post (if yours is next).

Hope this helps.
N/A

Indeed I did miss it, but not to worry I have edited it now and so all should look better.

Thanks Colin & Roger. To be fair I wished I would have had the joy of working along side both of you a bit more, but then who wrote the rules for life anyhow.
If im not banned from mthe usergroup I might stick my ugly head in there from time to time though.
N/A

I'm surprised that a noun for a stupid person is censored. Why is this?
Laugh
Grafter

PS can someone remind me how to get the "username wrote:" bit in front of quotes in these messages.
Thanks (non-techie) GCJ

Like that Wink

[EDIT] Machinery is fighting back Shockedops: Pressed Submit instead of Preview.

Meant to say All the Best Tom
N/A

[quote="gcjonline"]text[/quote]
Community Veteran

If im not banned from the usergroup I might stick my ugly head in there from time to time though.

You're welcome there, anytime Smiley

Besides, you're gonna still be a customer, albeit PAYG dialup Wink