Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed went upto 24mb !!!

tex
Grafter

Here's the result of my recent speed tests:

After 10pm tonight and last night, my internet kept on disconnecting randomly and after this speed test (which is NOT a fake), I suspected that PlusNet was tweaking my line for faster broadband. That speed test looked dodgy - some 0's and some really high results, I tried downloading large files (like a trial of Dreamweaver 8 from macromedia.com) and my speeds seemed to be normal for the 2mb service I'm paying for.

So, what's going on, am I really getting 24mb broadband or is this just a problem on my end? Also, why is my connection disconnecting randomly?
7 REPLIES
N/A

I'm afraid it is just an error due to the fact (and correct me if i'm wrong, someone), the 24Mb service is meant to be just that, 24Mb, and NOT 192Mb!

Also, as you say, you appear to be downloading at the usual rate for a 2Mb line.

Most likely an error with the speed test.
N/A

I've had the same thing.

Are you by any chance using a router?

This happened to me as soon as I installed my Netgear router. Sometimes you'll get speeds of 0.00 too!!!

Thx

Ron
N/A

The usage meter that plusnet use is very sensitive to firewalls.

This is more often than not, the cause of very strange readings
tex
Grafter

I'm afraid it is just an error due to the fact (and correct me if i'm wrong, someone), the 24Mb service is meant to be just that, 24Mb, and NOT 192Mb!

If you see just below that figure, it says "Which means you can download at 24 MB/sec. from our servers".

This happened to me as soon as I installed my Netgear router. Sometimes you'll get speeds of 0.00 too!!!

Ironic because I also have a Netgear router and I got two 0.00 results (see the table of past speeds in my screenshot). I done speed tests before with the same router and configuration and they seemed to be normal so I don't think it's a problem at my end.

The usage meter that plusnet use is very sensitive to firewalls.

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2006 - I never got these strange results before :?
N/A

Its most likely that Norton is causing these issues as mentioned on the speed test page.

A more accurate test can be found at ADSL Guide
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Not if your using KIS 2006 beta which causes all sorts of problems but does allow the PlusNet tester to work OK in fact just achieved 1048.3 on a 1MB/s line
MysteryFCM
Grafter

I love ADSLGuide Smiley (can't stand the one's that demand I install Sun's JVM).

Downstream 1882 Kbps (235.3 KB/sec) 2032 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 241 Kbps (30.1 KB/sec) 260 Kbps (inc. overheads

As an added FYI, I also have a Netgear router (DG834G v2) and have never experienced the issue that it is being blamed for here Smiley