cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My speed now capped at 15KBytes/sec

N/A

No reply from Plusnet in my other thread, no notification of any sort by email.
160 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

As I've said before, the Broadband Plus account is managed so the usage is nothing to worry about. You will find as you use more the connection will slow down.

If you are finding that this happens often then the Plus account is not the best account we offer for you, and you would be better suited to a Premier account.
N/A

Ben, I have exceeded no published figures. I have received no notification that my speeds would be reduced to near dialup speeds under my current usage. You have made my connection nigh-on useless for exceeding limits which you, and you alone, consider "reasonable" on any given day.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There are no published figures. The whole point of the Plus account is that it is not like Premier or PAYG where you keep an eye on how much you use, we do all that for you.

If this is not what you want then there are more suitable products out there for you, like out Premier package for example.
N/A

This throttling of everything *is* new though, right?
I'm currently on the equivalent of 256Kbps ~ usage this month = 8.7GB

However, my usage for Nov-Dec was 20GB (equates to about 10GB / month)... And I never had throttling back then...

It'd also be nice to know when you start to get throttled. From what I can ascertain, based only on this months experience & what others have said :

first 5GB = full speed (1MB in my case)
5GB + = 512Kbps (or 1/2 speed, perhaps?)
7.5GB + = 256Kbps (or 1/4 speed, perhaps?)
10GB + = 128Kbps (or 1.8 speed, perhaps?)

But these are rough figures that are most likely wrong! What I don't understand is why you can't just tell us what the deal is, instead of prancing around it and never giving real answers.
N/A

I cannot now use any application, (including browsing the web) at more than 30k. If i try to download something, and browse the web at the same time, I can only use that 30k. IE they get 15K each.

Therefore I now have a 30K line that I'm paying a 2MG connection price for.

I would therefore like to know the following?

On this page

http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_plus.shtml?link=resbb_pluslink

You say

Perfect for regular surfing, email, chatting and shopping

Priority given to basic use such as surfing and email at busy times

With Broadband Plus you get a great-value broadband experience that's perfect for web surfing and email.

Can you please advise how this is a perfect service for surfing?

Can you please explain how you have given priority to my surfing?

Lastly can you justify how this is a great value experience thats perfect for web surfing?

Also on this page,

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

You state,

If we didn’t apply traffic management, data-intensive activities such as file downloads, peer-to-peer (P2P) and Usenet traffic could swamp and slow down time-sensitive traffic.

Time sensitive traffic includes email, surfing, gaming and internet phone calls (sometimes known as VoIP). By managing network traffic we can ensure these time-sensitive activities have priority

Again can you explain how my time sensitive surfing and gaming have priority now that they are sharing a single connection of 30K?

You go on to say ,

Data-intensive activities such as file sharing, P2P and Usenet traffic are given slightly less priority, but will still be fast. For example: a download that would have previously taken one hour may now take a couple of minutes longer.

Lets be generous here and say that "a couple of minuets" could be 4 minutes. You are therefore saying that my download will take (4/60)*100 = 6% longer.

Now lets look at the real situation, my speed has dropped from 250kbts to 30kbts. That is a reduction of over 80%!

Can you explain why you say it will take a conservative 6% longer when in reality its 80%?

You go on to state your different levels of service by saying.

Gold Priority non-time critical traffic: e.g. surfing, email and streaming media Fast - Up to line speed*

Silver Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Average - speeds up to 500Kbps

Bronze Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Restricted - speeds up to 250Kbps

Clearly none of this is correct as my total internet speed is currently 30K? What are you views on this?

And lastly, on this page,

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

You promote a format by which you will communicate with me if you have to shape any of my traffic.

If a customer falls in the first band of unsustainable usage for their product, they will receive a warning email. The second band will result in peak-time management. And the third band: 24/7 management. See tables below for details.

I have had no correspondence from you on this matter, whatsoever by email.

You have simply applied your shaping without telling me why.

It is only today after months of putting up with this, I had to log a ticket. and low and behold, I see that there is a message in there telling me about traffic shaping and my usage.

Were you expecting me to log in and proactively look for these tickets? If so how does that fair up with your policy of the customer not having to worry about how much bandwidth they are using?

Looking forward to your reply.

A customer who is leaving....
N/A

While you're looking at: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

Have a look at this:

Broadband Plus
Broadband Plus is not designed for heavy downloading, which is why network traffic management is applied to data-intensive FTP, Usenet and P2P traffic during peak-times, and (to a lesser extent) off-peak hours.

Now, where is the mention of HTTP management?
jagger
Grafter

@ onsloej

Nice letter.You should send it to Plusnet.Then you could post the answers you get from them.

But don't expect to get results from using the Community Support forum to simply have a rant.Nearly everyone in here is a Plusnet user who'd like to help sort out people's problems.A couple are Plusnet employees who drop in from time to time.

It is obvious that you have a serious complaint about your contract, and the effect of Plusnet's modus operandi on you,so you should seek redress by using a legal process or perhaps a regulating body.You won't get it sorted out in here.
N/A

@ jagger

It's perfectly within Plusnet's power to solve this problem for onsloej (and me), therefore I do see merit in his post here.
jagger
Grafter

Sorry,but I beg to differ.

I think Plusnet have already sorted it out to their satisfaction.

This forum is for users to post their problems with the hope that another user can help them with it.As I said,occasionally Plusnet employees do the helping.

But it is hardly the place to whinge on about a contractual dispute, which this obviously is.With accusations of breach of contract it generally requires the attention of expensive legal experts to settle the dispute.That is where this should be now,so strong are the views being expressed.

I'd contend also that it is within both of your powers to remedy the situation,ie: by upgrading to a more suitable connection for your intended use,or by moving to a different ISP who is willing to accomodate you.Simple.

I'm on premier because plus just wouldn't,and doesn't, suit my needs.I'd sign my granny up for it though.
N/A

This does seem unfair. Sad
N/A

bbrown what are you talking about?

As you can clearly see from the image-he isnt using P2P software. So why is their such a limit to the speed? and why today ? it usually flies at 200k from websites at ALL times. And yes im on the Plus Account too. Obviously there is some kind of problem.
Can you please look into it.

Thanks

Ps what someone said above about forum not being any good for solving problems...well what other alternative have we got? of course this is probably the only way-you ring CS up and you ll be put in the queue for half hour. I dont know about you but i refuse to do that-especially when it isnt a free phone call.

So yes....the forum is a way of getting problems sorted as PN and the mods will tell you....
N/A

I don't see why noone from Plusnet can't just tell my why HTTP isn't mentioned in that quote I posted earlier, though.
N/A

Because from what I can ascertain, it never used to be throttled... Now it is, and the basic (first) cap is 5GB.

Which is shocking, frankly.
N/A

Hmmm, the customer services rep dissapears...