cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My lenght is in question!!!!

N/A

Being tempted by a mate that this 'new' service provider was quite good I left the forever improving Tiscali to go with the new guy as he was boasting 2mb line speeds. Oh what a mistake. I am currently enjoying the MAX speed of 1.1Mb. This is rather ordinary as Tiscali who had me on the 1Mb line for ages - hense prompting the move to the bigger brighter 2Mb line - actually got their stuff together once I had asked for the MAC key and improved my line to 2MB !!! How to become really annoyed at something positive! Not to worry though I was moving to PN 2MB service.

PN are unable to provide the 2Mb service as the line is 'too long'. Obviously I flagged this up with the C.support people and they explained is some detail that it was NOTHING to do with them all BT's problems... I rang BT wholesale and they said well if you moved to us we could give you 2Mb and tiscali gave you 2Mb for 6 days before you cut off with them so theoretically yes it is possible.

Tiscali and UKOnline are providers that are "Local Loop Unbundlers" i.e. they have their own equiptment in the BT local exchanges and can activate a line at whatever speed that their equiptment can support, calibrated of course to what your line can support. They use a process called "datastream" where BT Wholesale (and thus ourselves) use a technology called "IPStream" - What you can find on LLU is that they may be subject to a greater contention rate - if all customers connected on the equiptment that your line shares start downloading and the equiptment gets busy, it slows down. Where BT guarantee a maximum contention of 50 to 1 on their equiptment, LLUs may have double this figure or more. Also, they may employ heavy traffic shaping to try and minimise the effects of contention

I write back to PN and what do you know... I have to pay for a 1/2 service and suprise suprise pay full price. WHAT A JOKE. Customer service... feed you full of technical lingo and then refuse to entertain the idea of providing another service for the same price or upgrading you or reducing the price ....nothing of the sorts... Why is it so hard to be nice? I expect to get what the service states... I didn't notice them contacting me and suggesting this or that option, no, they just wait and see if you notice take your money and refuse to 'support' any idea of the customer getting what he signed up for.

Ideas anyoneHuh.... If I am on a month to month but they gave me a modem what will the cancellation cost be?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Welcome to the BT monopoly...

A few comments on your post.

1) You can't ring BT Wholesale as they don't talk to normal punters like you ane me, they only speak to ISPs. You must have rung BT retail.
2) If BT retail state they will supply you with 2Mbs connection then they are breaking the law because if BT Retail can do it, so should PN as both ISPs have to go via BT Wholesale for the speed upgrade or connection and BT Wholesale cannot give preferential treatment to any single ISP.
3) PlusNet offer an up to 2Mbs product and it states this is subject to the maximum your line will take and you pay the same proce whether you have 512K or 2Mbs and that is how it is. It is not, I repeat NOT PlusNets fault that BT (not BT retail - they are different companies) has rejected your speed upgrade to 2Mbs and there is noting PlusNet can do to change BT's mind. What does the BT line checker say your line will take? if it's only 1Mbs then that is why they have rejected your 2Mbs request.

As for the cancellation cost, if you hav been with PN less then 45 days then yo can use the plusnet guarantee to get out of any annual contracts and migrate for free, but you still have to pay for any hardware and line activation before you leave. You need to raise a ticket and ask what the cost will be when leaving under the guarantee. If you have been with PN more than 45 days then the costs may be higher. Again raise a ticket and ask.
N/A

Yes you can speak to BT wholesale - I've done it.

I tried to move from 1mbit to 2 - had it rejected, was told it was BT's fault, nothing that PN could do (apart from charge £14.99 to submit a manual order to BT).

To cut a long story short, PlusNet had throttled my connection to 1mbit their end.

(edit - here are some tickets):

Closed : Customer called to query speed at new address as this is 1MB rather than the 2 he was hoping for.

Advised that we do submit orders to provide at the highest possible speed & this is then decided by BT.

Advised to submit line stats to a ticket & we can investigate that and possibly submit a manual order. (is aware of 14.99 cost for this)

Customer states that 150 engineer has performed a lot of maintenance on line in & out of house so this may help things.

Regards,

and then:

2005-07-16
11:09:44
(name edited as it's not allowed)
Customer Support Centre Closed : Provisioning of your ADSL Account Information
Provisioned speed updated using speed change tool

A couple of days wasted time and pointless phone calls later it was sorted in seconds.

(By chance my web host had exactly the same problem and found out that PlusNet were throttling the connection at 1mbit when it should have been 2mbit - that's how I found out.)

Got to be worth asking them the question direct as I did.

nntp traffic is still dire though but that's another story.
sloany
Grafter

I agree you CAN speak to BT wholesale, i have the telephone number here.
LiamM
Grafter

I have nothing to really add to your thread, but the title gave me a great chuckle... We'll done!
N/A

from BT Wholesale line checker...

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed.

Yes I did speak to BT wholesale as BT Broadband could do nothing for me as their information said I had and should be able to get the 2Mb line connection.

Is there another test I should take that will convince the company that I am not taking the mickHuh It seems as a lowly customer, I couldn't possibly have information that is correct AND that differs from the information on their computer.

mfymonkey suggested they speed update using speed change tool. Oh the frustration of them always being right and me the little guy being treated like a fool. Although petervaughan did supply some interesting information on cancelling, so my ticket is now in... wonder what a modem is worth that is brand new and hasn't been used... I am still using the one from tiscali! Wonder why they don't accept that back?

Cheers for the responses. :roll:
N/A

Woosh

How do I get +net to do a woosh test on my line? ... why don't they automatically do it for me?? why do we have to be muched around for so long to get a decent serviceHuh whyHuh? whyHuh?? whyHuhHuh :?: Shockedops:
N/A

It's interesting to see how PN respond to customer's cries for help - labelling them liars and/ or fools.
Strange customer retention policy?
N/A

That sort of post is unnecessary and unhelpful. Nowhere in any of the preceeding posts is liars or fools mentioned or implied.

Please think carefully about your choice of words when posting in a public forum.
Community Veteran

I do sympathise with this customers problems here, it is unfortunate that it seems BT do sometimes struggle to keep up with all the various issues due to the overwhelming size of the broadband customer base.

As this userbase grows it is highly likely that more and more of these issue wil arrise, hopefully BT will start to get to grips with things and at the very least open up some form of channel for general consumers to pose questions or raise faults.

In the OP's post was the italic section a response from PN? If so i did have to smile at the irony of this statement:

Also, they may employ heavy traffic shaping to try and minimise the effects of contention

Pot - kettle?
N/A

and at the very least open up some form of channel for general consumers to pose questions or raise faults.

Sound idea. But with the size of the still growing UK customer base, thats one call centre i would hate to manage. Feasible yes but likely, no. Why would BT invest in such a project when the can easily take the cop out route and fire the eu back to the isp.

Excellent idea but too sensible for BT.
Community Veteran

Alas, yes it would be far to sensible for BT, but perhaps if some sort of "ticket via your ISP" was intoroduced, so you could only contact BT wholesale if you had a valid ticket numbe provied from your ISP.

Its all pobably cloud cukoo land though as it would be a real administrative task that would costs ISP's and BT millions no doubt and we would still be in the hands of BT anyway - so it would probably serve no real purpose.

Until LLU takes of and the dinosaur that is BT gets broken down we probably wont see any positive movement from BT in the way of actually providing something resembling a decent customer service.
LiamM
Grafter

Most problems occur between the premesis and the exchange, so LLU won't make much difference as these cases would still have to be referred back to BT.
N/A

To chesterfield yes this is a situation of the pot and the kettle LOL I am glad I am not the only one to see the irony of the situation.

As for BT well they have been nothing but helpful... maybe too helpful as they provided me with enough information to annoy the likes of PN. Further to this point.... I did as petervaughan suggested and did the BT test. Then, I submitted my ticket and asked what the costs involved are in moving. While I was there I asked if they would perform a 'Woosh' test on the line to confirm the 1.1 status and back their comical response with actual data. Welll the results are in and ......

eu well within limits for 2Mb, 22dB DS with 35dB margin, but appears to
have been provided on 1Mb (confirmed in eco). Please regrade the
customer to 2Mb
. PN

the winner is .... ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME Now that is how to make the customer happy... a little old school but it works.... the customer is alway right. Showing my age I know but hey these young people just need a little bit of the old stuff to balance all that proverbial nonsence they are trained in.

Must thank those of you who have had similar sucesses and provided valuable information on how to tackle the ever cumbersome PN. I hope to have many care free days at 2Mb!!!! Yeah baby.

Cheesy

Of course one would also take heed of the old proverb - don't count your chickens!