Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My email address is being @%&*#£d

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

What to do? I am getting tons of rejects for mail that I never sent, because of Plusnet's unlimited adresses. Most are using
harkemabejiy@gersau.plus.com but with the final letters of hark varied. Can anyone tell me if I can get round the nuisance, please?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You could get the catch all turned off, this means that mail with a prefix you haven't defined (as in those random characters) will be black holed.

You used to have to raise a ticket, but I think a new mail tool has been implemented now. Go to Email Settings->Manage My Mail->Catch All tab and turn the status to off.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

The catch-all can now be turned off here.
This will mean you only receive emails to specified addresses. For more information please see this thread.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you create aliases, make sure you test that they are working before you turn off your default.

Email for an alias I have created is still going to my default mailbox.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Thanks! I sometimes use a temporary alias say xlimited @...and the replies go in to my local folders in Thunderbird. Am I rigtht in thinking that such replies will be blackholed even though the alias has been created by me?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Bookman
Grafter

gersau,
If you are using Thunderbird on your PC why not use its Message Filters and Junk Mail Controls to filter out all those unwanted emails which have addresses based on your domain but with variants before the @ symbol?

I set up a filter which identified all those messages without what I regard as an acceptable name before the @. The filter directed them into a new folder, so they didn't drown my normal TB mailboxes - but they were still there so I could check now and then and empty the folder (although there have rarely been any genuine messages wrongly filtered).

But now that TB's Junk Mail Controls have been trained for some months, almost all these messages are picked up that way from this folder and moved to TB's Junk folder for me!

I find it very effective - and I run a business with a web site etc so I do get a lot of spam.

Good luck whichever method you choose!
Tongue