cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Referral - Cookies Blocked

N/A

Plusnet's Referral Banner cookie is blocked in Internet Explorer

Under the "medium" privacy setting of MS Internet Explorer, the ten day cookie of the Plusnet Referral Banner is blocked. This is due to the type of cookie itself. This "medium" setting is the default setting of the world's most common browser.

No cookie, no referral. What's going on?

6 REPLIES
Mike_Grice
Grafter

Re: My Referral - Cookies Blocked

Under the "medium" privacy setting of MS Internet Explorer, the ten day cookie of the Plusnet Referral Banner is blocked. This is due to the type of cookie itself. This "medium" setting is the default setting of the world's most common browser.

No cookie, no referral. What's going on?

Hi there,

I just tested your site and your cookie was saved fine? I was using a fresh install of IE6 on Windows XP?
N/A

Post subject: Re: My Referral - Cookies Blocked

I must be mistaken then. I can't really admit to understanding cookie policies!

If you go to my site (or any other PlusNet cutomer's site with a Plusnet banner), you will see in the bottom right the "blocked cookie" image:

If I then double-click on the "little eye/no entry" icone I then get this:

I then double click on the "htt p: / / portal .plus. net......banner_3.gif" line and get this:

Oh and I'm running on this PC, Windows XP (fresh install in April) and IE6
My Security setting are set to the default "medium" as shown (nothing is set under "Advanced"):

On my "proper" computer running RedHat Linux and Mozilla it doesn't have a default privacy policy like IE6 so there's no problems.
N/A

The referal cookie isn't set until after visiting the the actual referal link.

The cookie you talk of, is more likely a tracking cookie sent by +net. If I am not mistaken, this is either a session cookie, or the apache token cookie, enither of which are needed.

I will have a look after, and see what data this cookie contains
N/A

Well done on your quick response. I might be getting muddled up then! I don't understand why a session cookie would be needed with a banner, or even a tracking cookie. The Apache server gives raw log data on files served anyhow.

I've started using "pHpAdsNew" on another site I have (not hosted by PlusNet unfortunately) so in a couple of months I should have a better idea of what is happening to all my banners!

---- Anyody else a little dissapointed with the effectiveness of the PlusNet banners?

---- Perhaps we should have more banners?

---- Perhaps "Banner_3" should refer to "BROADBAND" not "ADSL" so that Joe Public has a better chance of knowing what the banner is about?

---- Does anybody make any reasonable money from the referral scheme?
N/A

Right, I have tracked it down a little for you.

First, no cookie is sent by +net.

[devnet@services sand]# wget -S --spider http://portal.plus.net/images/banners/banner_3.gif
--12:15:59-- http://portal.plus.net/images/banners/banner_3.gif
=> `banner_3.gif'
Resolving portal.plus.net... done.
Connecting to portal.plus.net[212.159.8.137]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
1 HTTP/1.1 200 OK
2 Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 11:09:50 GMT
3 Server: Apache/1.3.26
4 Last-Modified: Thu, 01 May 2003 08:44:31 GMT
5 ETag: "20afbc-2bd4-3eb0de6f"
6 Accept-Ranges: bytes
7 Content-Length: 11220
8 Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=30
9 Connection: Keep-Alive
10 Content-Type: image/gif
200 OK

The reason why you get his blocked, is because you are using the a image from cross domain (IE, your not hosting it in your space). It isn't that is has blocked a cookie, but that it will block a cookie, should it receive one.

Second. Raw logs are usless for people on dynamic IP's.

Advertising companies use cookies, to tracka user, no matter what ISP or connection they are using, by the ID contained in the coookie.

This complimated the RAW logs, by colating and binding multiple IP records into 1.
N/A

That's really good - thanks for that, and for going to the trouble of doing a bit of diggin'