cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Hyperlobby Problem shows the serious flaw with Ellacoyas.

suec45
Grafter

Hyperlobby is a game browser and chat program for flight simmers, around 1000 people log in every night to set up coops and play online games such as IL2 Stumovik and Lock On.

Since the Ellacoya update around a month ago, the browser has falied to work properly in the evening, sometimes it wont log in, hanging at 'connecting', other times it will log in after 5 minutes, but games are missing, and the chat is so laggy as to be worthless.

I raise a ticket and give PN support a link to the software, yet I get the response 'I cannot install unauthorised software on this computer, you will have to give me the port it uses'. I dont see how support is going to get the application working properly if they are unwilling to even install it!

Surely there are 1000's of these obscure applications being lumped into bronze traffic and fighting for swamped bandwidth, therefore not working properly. The average user will know nothing about the Ellacoyas, and will spend days trying to fix it.

Just how does Plusnet hope to give the Ellacoyas rules for all these 1000's of programs different people use if they are unwilling to even install the software? (even if they did install it I still think there would be a major problem with all the thousands of rules)

Oh and does anyone know what ports the Hyperlobby software uses? Support has left it to me to try and find this out even after I gave them a link tot he page/apllication. I would have thought a game browser would need to look at all ports, not just one, but maybe I am wrong...

Link to the application :-

www.hyperfighter.sk
20 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

I do apologise for the response given to you but what the CSC Agent has said is correct. They are unable to install software on their machines (for obvious reasons).

What would be really handy, would be if you would be willing to provide us with a packet capture from something like Wireshark? Would this be a possibility?

If you could attach that to a ticket, I'd be happy to push it through to Networks for you.
suec45
Grafter

OK thanks Liam, I will try.

What do you think about the 1000's of programs that will have this problem?

Is this going to be a permanant problem for all new/obscure applications?
N/A

Another handy thing would be for PlusNet to provide a decent level of service...
Liam
Grafter

@suec45, not necessarily. It depends on the protocol and transport method used by the software. It may use P2P to communicate, or it may use another protocol via a central server.

Most applications use http to transport data. For other applications that use protocols such as FTP, SSL etc... we have signatures that detect the traffic. So it's not as if every application requires a specified rule.

Lots of applications also use P2P to transport data, which will (quite fairly) be classified as P2P on our network. Some of these will be for larger file downloads and some will be programs that download patches and updates etc... but by P2P.
suec45
Grafter

OK thanks.

I downloaded Wireshark, and I think I am using it correctly..

I start wireshark,

Start a Live Capture,

Start Hyperlobby

Then I would save the file and put it up on Rapidshare or something? Or could I PM it you as a text file?

Hyperlobby is hanging when I start it up right now. I might have to do this at 3am when the Bronze queue is not full.
Liam
Grafter

You should be able to attach it to a ticket...
N/A

One of the issues that I can spot that will be screwing the Ellacoyas is that my useage for Broadband Phone is currently running at 1 gig this month.

Somehow, one of my housemates is either a) P2Ping, b) downloading videos of Prison Break c) Watching football matches via the web and it is being categorised as a phone call.. this has to be causing mis-shapes in traffic.

Mis-shapes...hmmm, dont they usually come from cheap places in purple wrappersHuh :roll: :roll: :shock: :?
suec45
Grafter

Liam - Do I need a full connect or will just a 'half connect' do?

I left Hyperlobby for 15 minutes trying to connect (it normally should take 1 second) with a capture running, and it listed about half the servers, but it didnt finish and never got to the chat.

Should I wait and get a full capture? (there are about 100 lines in the wireshark main window) or will that 'half capture' do?

(I have never used wireshark before)
Community Veteran

The biggest issue is the networks team only work office hours it seems and so arranging a time/date for them to monitor your connection when you try to use your game can be difficult for those that work for a living ... just a few of us.

Can somebody in Comms become trained to do this to just collect the information for the networks team?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Liam
Grafter

Can somebody in Comms become trained to do this to just collect the information for the networks team?

Networks Comms is Bob, who works same hours Networks work. We do generally have network coverage at weekend too, by the way.

Unfortunately it requires a Network Engineer to directly access live systems to monitor your connection. It's not required all that much - but when it is - only someone fully trained and with necesssary permissions is able to do such intrusive monitoring.
Liam
Grafter

Liam - Do I need a full connect or will just a 'half connect' do?

I left Hyperlobby for 15 minutes trying to connect (it normally should take 1 second) with a capture running, and it listed about half the servers, but it didnt finish and never got to the chat.

Should I wait and get a full capture? (there are about 100 lines in the wireshark main window) or will that 'half capture' do?

(I have never used wireshark before)

The more information, the better... I'm sure you've done this by now - so just attach to the ticket, let me know and I'll send it to Networks.
N/A

I gave support the port for Hyperlobby (1698 TCP) on the 30 Jan in a ticket, and in the request port thread in the gaming section.

Currently PN seem unwilling to help on this and the speed issues, which they are totally ignoring my ticket on.
Currently i would rate PN's customer support at 1/10. Abysmal.
suec45
Grafter

It should be sorted if I can get a full startup captured using wireshark.

I have tried but Hyperlobby wont even get through the starting process , so I cant capture all the info.

I will do it early tommorow morning, when bronze is quiet, and post it on my ticket, then hopefully it should be sorted Ahoids.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed Duplicate post. (You know you can delete your last post if nobody has replied...) Wink
Liam
Grafter

ahoids, interesting. Was it passed through to Networks?

We've not built any ports in for the last couple of weeks, but will begin doing so next week where required. So if we've accepted that change then it should be implemented shortly and you'll notice an improvement.