cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Email Address has been Hi-jacked

DrSeeAll
Grafter

Someone has hijacked my email address (*@*.plus.com)to send spam. I can live with that but the problem is all the bounced emails I'm getting from the third party intended recipients.
This occurs if they do not exist (mail daemon response) or have spam filters bouncing it back to me.

Is there anything I can do about it?
17 REPLIES
N/A

Join the club Sad - See this thread
N/A

part of being with plus.net - somehow mine has been too !
N/A

the next thing we might here is - sorry plus.net cannot manage the service - ha ha - and have sold out to someone else !
DrSeeAll
Grafter

@ macintoshuk

Thanks. I had not seen that thread but I've most definately voted YES.

It is time Plusnet did something to stop this.
N/A

yup. its time they did a lot of things they are never going to do...
Community Veteran

Why do you all feel this is +net's fault.

Basically if your email address is "out there" and almost everybody's is. Then it can be used as the "from" address by a spammer.

This is not unique to plusnet - I have the same problem with my freeserve addy.
N/A

Yep,

plusnet are by no means brilliant but that spam isnt something that they can be blamed for. The techniques that spammers use change all the time. The bounces are a consequence of spammers faking email addresses. It seems to happen from time to time but you cant blame +net for that.
N/A

You will find nearly everyone on PN has had there email addy hijacked!
N/A

the best way around this is to , setup specific email accounts and log onto your mail using pn_name+email and just ignore the default mail box,
N/A

Nearly everyone?

I would reply with a "no they havn't" remark but i know what the comeback would be so i'll start with it.

You've asked the 200,000 odd people and how many said they have had theirs taken? I doubt even 1% of the userbase use these forums so ..........
N/A

Get a your own email server and buy your own domain name..then setup your own email server. Much more secure and you are the one in control. Smiley
N/A

i have just had plus.net reply to my isue about spam - and them told me how 'to read the guides on SPAM' - - who so they think we are - idiots

they are providing a very bad service and blaming all their problems on the customers -

take control plus.net and tell us what is going on !
Community Veteran

You will find nearly everyone on PN has had there email addy hijacked!

Mine hasn't
essenby
Grafter

Mine certainly has! Since midday Thursday I have recieved 109 mails which are either SPAM or bounces as a result of someone being SPAM'd with my email address.