cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 8MB "MAX" Upgrade isnt That Fast

N/A

HI

I recently had a Manuel "MAX" upgrade done for upto 8MB and was told that i would see speeds of 5MB but my speed hasnt gone up much at all and the speed test shows an Average speed of 2 to 2.7mbps , ive seen some other ISPs with up to 16MPS speeds that look pretty tempting so i hope someone could Sort this

Thanks CC Smiley
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What speed is your router/modem syncing at as that will govern the maximum speed you line can support. Also post your SNR/line attenuation figures.

Click on connection settings (on left) then high speed broadband and post what number is shown.

If you are still within the 10 day trialling period (which is actually 12 ->13 days) then BT have not sent PN the Bras profile which determines the speed BT will allow on your line.

If the 5Mbs figure was from the BT website then that is just a guide and not a guarantee. Everyone's line is different resulting in variations in speed attainable. To get 16Mbs you would need to be on LLU & ADSL2+ and live within a stones throwing distance of your exchange.
N/A

HI

My Local BT exchange is less then 1 mile away, it has LLU & ADSL2+ enabled , ive seen a few ISPs now that have 24MB Speeds will plusnet have this soon or are they already ADSL2+ Ready , maybe best to go for an Ethernet Router to get current speeds faster , USB 2 sounds ok i think but ill have to check if its running on my System, i got the average of 5MB speeds reply in one of my last forum posts from Plusnet , ill post the SNR/line attenuation Figures here soon

Thanks.
Community Veteran

PlusNet won't get ADSL2+ or > 8Mbs speeds for some time because:

1) They use BT and BT won't have it for several years yet.
2) They are no longer moving people on to Tiscali LLU.
3) There will never be enough LLU users from PN to allow Tiscali to turn on ADSL2+ on their exchanges.