Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiply your Internet speed by 10

N/A

Go elsewhere
My reasons for leaving Plusnet are as follows:

1. There has been a continuous deterioration in the overall quality of the Plusnet product to the point where it is almost unusable. ie. Bandwidth restrictions/Peak time restrictions/Usenet restrictions

2. There has been a lack of communication to customers of important changes to Plusnet products until they are actually implemented.

3. There has been poor treatment of some downloading customers, branding them as a minority group who are wrecking the service for others, because they are classified high downloaders. (The infamous 1%, (seen as the usenet terrorist)) Treatment of ‘the few’ includes brandishing the MAC code big stick if customers do not comply with the Plusnet vision. The company appers to have been taken from the hands of the techies and placed into the hands of the accountants without due respect to the effect all the cost reduction changes will have on the consumers vision of Plusnet. At least we customers can share our vision with other customers.

4. Beware remaining Plusnet customers. The bandwidth restrictions put in place may not be to give you a better service, but to allow Plusnet to sell you latency sensitive applications such as VOIP, TV over IP and the like, which may otherwise be unworkable in a bandwidth unrich environment. You may even soon have driver downloads and similiar(html and ftp) banned to preserve the network bandwidth for these applications. Does this sound extreme? Look whats happened to Plusnet in the last year.

5. I work in a large office containing around some 300 people, a number of which I recommended Plusnet to, some of which are referrals. I now find it embarrassing as nearly all are unsatisfied with Plusnet (and F9) and I receive feedback from them. As I leave Plusnet it is my target to try and make sure I convince all the people to whom I recommended Plusnet, that they should also leave Plusnet.
In addition, as people regularly come to me for personal IT advice, I will try to ensure that none take up with Plusnet. I will not say “do not make the same mistake as I did”, because Plusnet was a good ISP back in May 2003 and did at that time provide a good service. I just want to make it clear that in my opinion, good overall internet service provision is currently unavailable at Plusnet.
I wish to make it clear that I am not bitter about having to make this move, I just want to make it right after recommending Plusnet to work colleagues in the past. If I remain I am condoning everything Plusnet has done recently.

6. The last straw for me is your 15Gb usenet limit (I have yet to exceed this)with a 3Kb/s bronze stream to drop into after the limit is reached. It has been stated by Plusnet that 3Kb/s was not the level intended, but the expected level has not been detailed. What level was it tested at before release? The fact that a level is not quoted suggests that it may not have been fully tested before release (as in dropping a bomb) to the customer. If the expected level could not be determined before testing, then the testing was all the more important and should have progressed in an effort to establish transfer rates after the 15Gb threshold was passed. When it was established that the level was incorrect I believe it would have been prudent to cancel the whole change(including the 15Gb usenet limit until a correction (and test) could be made (ie back out the change). The point made on the forums that it was low priority and could wait till after the weekend shows Plusnet does not now understand its customers priorities or more likely this is the level that was intended and Plusnet are not yet ready to admit this to limit possible jerk reaction from customers to leave Plusnet. I know where my money is.

7. The telephone used to be answered immediately (when I joined Plusnet), but now the customer support waiting times are excessive.

8. Finally, I am leaving Plusnet not because I have personally been badly treated or have been excessively affected by Plusnet changes thus far, but because your new 15Gb usenet policy will affect me very soon, because of the way you have treated customers as a whole (forum – customer feedback), because of the embarrassment of having recommended Plusnet to other people in the past, because of the direction in which Plusnet is now heading and worst of all, because you think I’m going sit here and accept it. We are the customer – you seem to have forgotten that!
These boots were made for walking and I’m walking. Are you ready boots! Start walking.
My thanks to the many Plusnet staff who have provided excellent service support to me over the last 2 + years.
Please supply my MAC code for transfer.
16 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: Multiply your Internet speed by 10

1. There has been a continuous deterioration in the overall quality of the Plusnet product to the point where it is almost unusable. ie. Bandwidth restrictions/Peak time restrictions/Usenet restrictions

This has already been discussed at length on these forums and others. We are building a platform for the future that will please the majority of customers, it's just not practical to make it all things for all users so we have to aim it at the majority of customers and focus on the applications that they use.

2. There has been a lack of communication to customers of important changes to Plusnet products until they are actually implemented.

Agreed, we can improve our communications and are constantly trying to do so. Personally I have seen this improve a lot since Stew has taken over the comms team.

3. There has been poor treatment of some downloading customers, branding them as a minority group who are wrecking the service for others, because they are classified high downloaders. (The infamous 1%, (seen as the usenet terrorist))

These people aren't terrorists, but unfortunately they use a very large chunk of our available capacity to benefit their small group to the detriment of the majority of our customers. As we've said we can't make a network for everyone, it's just not possible, so we are making it for most people. It doesn't make any sense to design a platform around the needs of 1% of your customer base.

4. Beware remaining Plusnet customers. The bandwidth restrictions put in place may not be to give you a better service, but to allow Plusnet to sell you latency sensitive applications such as VOIP, TV over IP and the like, which may otherwise be unworkable in a bandwidth unrich environment. You may even soon have driver downloads and similiar(html and ftp) banned to preserve the network bandwidth for these applications. Does this sound extreme? Look whats happened to Plusnet in the last year.

As we keep repeating, we are building a platform for the majority of our customers. As most (well, all really) of our customers use http do you seriously believe that we would restrict it? To answer your question yes, it does sound extreme. HTTP and FTP are very, very different to P2P and USENET.

6. The last straw for me is your 15Gb usenet limit (I have yet to exceed this)with a 3Kb/s bronze stream to drop into after the limit is reached. It has been stated by Plusnet that 3Kb/s was not the level intended, but the expected level has not been detailed. What level was it tested at before release? The fact that a level is not quoted suggests that it may not have been fully tested before release (as in dropping a bomb) to the customer. If the expected level could not be determined before testing, then the testing was all the more important and should have progressed in an effort to establish transfer rates after the 15Gb threshold was passed.

This has already been discussed in a few different threads in this forum. The speeds that people get after 15GB are what they should be, however we are now looking at changing these speeds as on reflection they are a little low. As is working as it is supposed to work no amount of testing will have made the current situation any different.

7. The telephone used to be answered immediately (when I joined Plusnet), but now the customer support waiting times are excessive.

Again this has been discussed at length in these forums, and has been addressed. We are constantly recruiting more support staff and the call waiting times and ticket response times are improving.

We're sorry to hear that we are no longer the best choice for you but we are growing as a company and building a platform to benefit the majority of our users. Are we there yet? No, but we're a good way along. We're not making these changes to wind anyone up and losing customers is not our intention however we can't please everyone, so we have to aim to please most people, and to have a scalable, sustainable platform that will evolve as we grow.
N/A

I wonder how many "1%ers" have recommended light users?
That would be an interesting piece of info that I'm sure we would never be told.
N/A

Same old argument from Plusnet "Its too the benefit of 99% of our users". If thats the case why are there like 30 threads about people complaining about poor P2P / NNTP. I would say this is a little more than 1% of people.

Next we will probably see download capping like on Wanndoo and other rubbish ISP's. Why not charge customers £26 - £28 (Premier) a month and put no restictions on the account rather than a cheap price and loads of restrictions?.

Why do ISP's advertise all these Media ritch content for fast connections if they are gonna restict what you can use when you have a fast connection. What are we going to see next 22mb connections and a 3gb cap.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I would say this is a little more than 1% of people.

As we have in excess of 130,000 customers 1% of this is 1300 people. The amount of people complaining about p2p and usenet on this and other forums/newsgroups is significantly lower than this.

Why not charge customers £26 - £28 (Premier) a month and put no restictions on the account rather than a cheap price and loads of restrictions?.

Even at £28 a month it's still not sustainable to provide an unlimited connection. Last time we did the SUP we found that over 50 users were costing over £1800 a month each just for the central capacity they were using.
N/A

This has already been discussed in a few different threads in this forum. The speeds that people get after 15GB are what they should be, however we are now looking at changing these speeds as on reflection they are a little low. As is working as it is supposed to work no amount of testing will have made the current situation any different.

"a little low"? Between 1 and 3KB/sec is a bit more than "a little low" wouldn't you agree? It's so slow that Easynews actually disconnect you because they assume you've dropped! Testing the post 15Gb speed restriction would have showed you the speeds to be expected so you either didn't test this, or you didn't make your support staff aware of that fact. Either way, it's typical of the way PN now operate. The left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing 75% of the time. At least you admit your communication skills are poor but then given the evidence available, you don't really have a choice.

Whatever the case, I've only got 2 days left and I'm off. I'll also be taking my 20 odd business clients with me once their contracts are up.
N/A

I've helped PN get 6 Plus accounts and 3 Premier since I joined up in June. I also signed up at least another Plus and Premier this year before I joined.

So in terms PN understand, I added £192.89pm or £2315 a year to their turnover.
Now they lose my sub, plus any further referrals.

It's been stated before that most of their signups are referrals, so I assume they've considered the bigger picture and still feel they can alienate sections of their client base.
N/A

... so I assume they've considered the bigger picture and still feel they can alienate sections of their client base.

But only 1% of their client base Wink

I'm not affected by the Usenet fiasco as I don't use it but it bothers me that people who are paying third parties for a usenet service are having it blocked by PN. Where does it all end?

I'm thinking PN missed the boat here. I'm thinking that if PN had introduced a subscription usenet service, all these nasty users would happily pay them for the service, on top of their normal PN account costs. I'm thinking Usenet might suddenly be less evil and the subscribers would be welcomed into the 99% fold with open arms.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. I'm one of those that came to PN because they said (at the time) filesharing was acceptable. Ok, if they want to be pedantic they could say they didn't use the word "acceptable" but filesharing was exactly that. It was unrestricted - in line with my account, which was 'unlimited' (yes, it really was advertised that way!).

Today I requested a MAC key and received one 7 minutes later (nope, they didn't ask if they could persuade me to stay). I'm sure Mark (pcsni) will be glad to hear this (just kidding Mark!) and Liam (martinfamily) will probably post something abrasive (would I kid about such a thing?) - but that's life.

I'm leaving for a monthly 2Mb contract. The regrade work at my exchange is complete so this means I will be on 2Mb as soon as the migration is complete - something PN want me wait for (or pay £14.99 to jump the queue for).

A monthly contract also means that if I've made a mistake I won't be tied down for too long and I can move on. That is a possibility of course, but I'm convinced that wherever I go, I can't do worse than PN - and that possibly includes AO Hell.

OK, I wouldn't go to AO Hell!
N/A

the question is, how many of their users actualy know what is going on. there are clearly less than 1% of the entire userbase active on these forums. so i would sugest that most just think its a crap service for no reason (As plusnet suck with communication) and live with it. there are at leat 100 posts in the last few months about people leaving, and these are the active people on the forums that have a clue. so if it were 1% active here, thats 1300 people, which i still think is way to many people for these forums. now if there are 100 posts, thats 100 of the 1,300 that are complaining.which is just under 10% of the active user base being VERY disatisfied with the service.
lmhudson
Grafter

trickey wrote:

BBrown Wrote
Agreed, we can improve our communications and are constantly trying to do so. Personally I have seen this improve a lot since Stew has taken over the comms team.

Ben, Your frank and honest detailed post simply answering the statements by trickery are testiment to this - NICE TO SEE SOME THINGS MAY BE ON THE UP.
I know you must get frustrated with people banging on about the same stuff but bear in mind, the reality is that the service / comms have been pretty poor lately.
I'm glad in on one hand that your looking at dynamic ways of protectin the network without imposing silly fixed caps like other ISP's. I think that you've over done it a bit with the likes of a 15g Usenet cap and 5k/sec after that.
Noted from other posts though that you are looking into this and hope we can find a middle ground!!
joncooper
Grafter

Again this has been discussed at length in these forums

I'm not sure what the constant repition (in this and other threads) of this is supposed to mean, we don't all come here all day every day, are those of us who haven't been hanging about the forums not allowed to discuss subjects that you've covered in out absence ?
N/A

Recommendations

Good point mate, Although only one logged mt ID, i have in the past recommended about half a dozen people, all low users.

They have mentioned 1800£ cost of the worst user. Consider 12 * 6 * 21 (assuming these people only stay a year), on top of which i paid 40£ a month for years and your almost break even. Like most types of Internet usage, high usenet usage is a trend which will probably reduce with time. In order to optimise your profits now, you will lose many customers who would have given an overall profit taking a long membership into account.
N/A

As we have in excess of 130,000 customers 1% of this is 1300 people. The amount of people complaining about p2p and usenet on this and other forums/newsgroups is significantly lower than this.

The question also lies though. How many people actually know the forums exist. Ive been on plusnet for a fair amount of time, and only found out about a month ago they existed. Its not like they are advertised, and i was never informed about them when joining, and you cant complain/use them if you dont know they exist.

Maybe users should be told about the forums more. They are a useful resource, and it may clear up the telephone lines, as a lot of questions are answered on here. However, there is also a lot of what seems to be complaints on here too recently, which isnt too good for the company.
N/A

This has already been discussed in a few different threads in this forum. The speeds that people get after 15GB are what they should be
I see. So that's why in some of your other resonses on in other threads in this forum you say the speeds are "lower than they should be"

Right, I get it.

Oh and if the speeds ARE what they should be, what "customer-aware" individual is goung to get the boot for getting it so wrong?.
N/A

Even at £28 a month it's still not sustainable to provide an unlimited connection. Last time we did the SUP we found that over 50 users were costing over £1800 a month each just for the central capacity they were using.

Why are other ISPs able to do it then? Some ISPs are only charging £4 more than the Premier fee and are sustaining it with no issues. Others are more expensive than £28/mnth granted, but they ARE providing a stable and sustainable service. Why can't +net achieve this to.

Oh yeh I forgot they want to maximise profit and not fire up any new pipes :/