cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast partly working today

Alecto
Grafter

For anybody waiting to try it out, multicast has just been working for me on BBC2 and News24, on ptn-ag1.
Give it a go, you never know your luck. Tongue
61 REPLIES
JonnyF
Grafter

Just tried, i know its a few days later, but nothing on ptn-ag2.

What are Plusnet playing at? Talk about lame ISP's.

Cheers,

Jon.
pHx
Grafter

I agree, this has been down for weeks and they wont take the time to fix it for the customers,

Guess we know whom comes first then, They are trying to stop users trying out new technology from the BBC in fear of the bandwith.

Plusnet you need to get your act together and sort everything out, 2 Years ago was great service from there its just gone straight downhill. Speeds are crap, Most peoples ADSL is always up and down (including mine), God help you with this 8mbit upgrade.
Community Veteran

Because multicast is still a trial, other priorities have apparently delayed any work on this problem.

PUG keep pushing PN to get it working but so far, no progress appears to have been made. while PN have stated they will look at it (and the last we heard is was being looked at last week) but no evidence that they have exists yet or any comments within PUG.
N/A

I might be going mental, but plusnet are in the list as a supported ISP, but what sort of bandwidth will this use, or are PN giving extra bandwidth for it use or something? Surely Premiers 10GB or Plus' 3GB cap will not even be near what is 'suitable' for streaming TV on top of standard broadband use?
JonnyF
Grafter

Peter,

I don't want to shoot the messenger, but im afraid this is just another in a long line of unacceptable traits Plusnet seem to have adopted over recent months.

I wouldnt mind if things get delayed a few days because of their priority, but were talking WELL over a month... simply unacceptable.

But then, nothing is suprising here recently.

Jon.
N/A

It's a lot longer than a month. There have been problems with the trials ever since PlusNet started them (variations on support on different gateways, variable uptime). For ages they said that most of this was down to the Beeb. A month ago it came out that actually it's been working pretty well for other ISP's, PlusNet just can't be bothered to put any resources into investigating why. So much for trail-blazing and being on the cutting edge of innovations.
As an aside, thanks to Bob for putting lots of hard work into this trial, without him we wouldn't know what we do or have dedicated forums, wiki, etc.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

...this is just another in a long line of unacceptable traits Plusnet seem to have adopted over recent months.

... simply unacceptable.

But then, nothing is suprising here recently.

Jon.

With all due respect, I disagree Wink (after just critisising PlusNet in another thread).

This is a trial. It is not currently either part of PlusNet's portfolio nor core to their business.

I too am chomping at the bit to play with the technology - I was signed up after the feeds went down; this is very frustrating - but I have no expectations, since i was clearly presented as a trial and not part of the current offering when I opted to particiate in the trial.

Regards, Neil
N/A

The funny thing is, PlusNet treat trials in very different ways. On the one hand as something which does not need support, something which will have problems, something to put on the back burner. On the other hand they base large scale decisions on trials which they are not even a part of. On the one hand PlusNet talk about being at the cutting edge of developments in the industry and wanting savvy users, on the other hand they can't keep a website or mail server running and push away loyal informed customers.
I agree that the Multicast Trials are not anywhere near as high a priority as other services, but this just another sign of the overall growing ineptitude of PlusNet.
JonnyF
Grafter

Trial or no trial, Plusnet are NOT giving this the attention it deserves.

Either trial it or dont trial it.

To be honest, I don't think Plusnet WANT to trial it anymore, because it is bandwidth hogging "new" technology (the sort they say they want to embrace in their latest announcment, but spend most of their time killing off)

Thats what cheeses me off!

Jon.
shellsong
Grafter

MUTTER, MUTTER, MUTTER...PlusNet...mutter, mutter, mutter...Multicast trials!...mutter, mutter, mutter...useless gits!...MUTTER, MUTTER, MUTTER :x
N/A

PN must be supporting it - I guess they had the choice to trial or not so why would they take on a trial and then not have any interest in it? Then it would serve no useful purpose and need not have been taken on in the first place! .....or am I being fick again? :?
Alecto
Grafter

It sounded a good idea at the time and everybody else was doing it.
But there's no money in it for them, it could use a lot of bandwidth, and only a handful of people are complaining about it, so they couldn't give a toss.

They've put poor old Bob in charge of the thing, then just ignore him when he asks if they'd mind please making it work some time in the next twenty years.

It's a poor show, especially when you consider how little effort is actually needed from them to get it going and to keep it going.

Now when somebody proposed a 50p a minute telephone line, on the other hand...........................................
JonnyF
Grafter

"PlusNet is evolving - in an evolving world."

BLAH

"We’re not afraid of change – in fact we embrace it."

BLAH

"In the future it looks like your Internet connection will deliver more than just the web pages you search for and the emails from your friends. No one can predict the future, but it doesn’t stop us trying – here at PlusNet we believe our customers will combine their Internet, telephone, mobile phone, TV, film watching and more things than we have room for here."

BLAH BLAH

"We’re getting ready for that day"

BLAH

I can also think of another word to describe this... begining with B, and ending in S.

Jon.
Alecto
Grafter

Plusnet is evolving - into a company that does not support multicasting.