cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicast down today

Alecto
Grafter

Multicast down today

Today, Wednesday 8th March, Multicast seems not to be working.
The usergroup page says it is, but I'm on ptn-ag2, and none of the TV or radio stations comes up with anything. Just the message about needing a server configured for multicast.
Could this be related to the problems Pn had recently, or is it just the BBC?
52 REPLIES
N/A

Multicast down today

well i've just tried to use it for the first time - not sure if i'm supposed to have it 'activated' or some such by Bob but it doesn't work anyway.
here are the links i've been checking out -

http://usergroup.plus.net/bbcigmp.php

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39622&highlight=multicast

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39872&highlight=multicast

http://ccgi.bobpullen.com/multicasting - to sign up Huh

Edit to make more sense -

i get the same message as you i think !!
i reconnected my modem to get on the the same gateway as you (1st time as it happens) re. the list in link 2
i have filled in that form (link 4), just a few minutes ago
Community Veteran

Multicast down today

it might take a 7+days to be activated, bob has to do it manually and theres been a massive rise in signups lately, also Bob is a very busy man and i believe he does them all once a week
N/A

Multicast down today

thanks strath !!
you replied while i was editing Smiley
Alecto
Grafter

Multicast down today

Don't get too excited yet scorsese, it's down today as well, on ptn-ag1. Cry
I wonder who's responsible for keeping the PUG multicast page up to date?
That still says it's working.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Multicast down today

Hi Geoff,

The feeds do indeed seem to be down. I'll ask PUG to update Service Status. Apologies to all those waiting to be activated. The recent interest, BBC news article and ITV coming on board has caused a bit of stir.

I'm looking at resolutions to this going forwards.

Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Alecto
Grafter

Multicast down today

Thanks Bob
Good job I got my new digital TV yesterday. :lol:
JonnyF
Grafter

Multicast down today

Hi, now I know the streams are down at the moment, but just a quick question anyway.

As of today my account has been activated, thanks Bob, and I am connected to ptn-ag2 (have reconnected too).

I tried playing a stream just in case they were back up, and I still get the message saying "This server is configured to support only multicast connections. Please contact the content provider for more information on listening to this broadcast."

I was expecting an error message, but not this one, it still seems to insinuate that I am not MC enabled.... or is this normal when the streams are down?

Jon.
MrToast
Grafter

Multicast down today

Thats what I get when its not working though I too am enabled and have had it working in the past....

Makes me wonder where the 'gap' in service is.
JonnyF
Grafter

Multicast down today

Thanks for the feedback, its obviously my fault the streams are down because Ive just had my account enabled!! Sod's law!

From previous experience, are the streams often down, and if so for how long on average.. or can you never tell!?

Jon.
lank111
Grafter

Multicast down today

been waiting 2 weeks and 2 days so far.....can't wait to try it,
its taken me 3 days to connect on the right router, still getting the messag

''This server is configured to support only multicast connections. Please contact the content provider for more information on listening to this broadcast.''

Will i get told when my account is IGMP enabled?
can't +net make a spider script to crawl thur accounts activating all of them?
Alecto
Grafter

Multicast down today

''This server is configured to support only multicast connections. Please contact the content provider for more information on listening to this broadcast.''

Yes, that's the message you get when the streams are down, or when your account hasn't been enabled for multicast as well.

Anyone waiting to be enabled, Bob normally lets you know when it's happened.

They are down a fair bit, sometimes due to Plusnet, but usually as far as I can tell, the BBC's fault. Hopefully as it becomes more a real live thing and less of a trial, this down time will reduce.
JonnyF
Grafter

Multicast down today

Hi, first of all, this isnt meant in any way as a dig or anything.... have to be careful on these forums! Wink

Does anyone know where the "fault" lies with the multicast service at the moment? And any ideas when it may be back in service?

Any info is much appreaciated,

Jon.
Alecto
Grafter

Multicast down today

Yes Jon, the frustrating thing about multicast and Plusnet is the lack of information.
As far as I can tell, there's only Bob got anything to do with it, and he has very little time to spend on it.
I'd have thought that the other Pn people on the forums could find things out for themselves, but it seems all they can do is ask Bob. Don't know why this is.

Not a happy situation.
N/A

Multicast down today

Is there no formal monitoring of availability/usage and routes for feedback then? Seems a bit of a waste of a trial if that's the case.