cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to new build house

N/A

Hi there. There is a reasonable chance that I may be moving to a new build house in the next 12 months or so, but that in itself creates an issue as I would be moving in without an existing phone line (obviously I would be wanting to get one sorted immediately, but still) and therefore might not know what the number is for the migration. I would want to stay with PlusNet and move my ADSL, but how would this be done and what are the costs?

Basically I'm just working through the costs for the possible move, and trying to identify the potential pitfalls of which this is one. Like I say, it's only a potential move at this stage, but any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers.
6 REPLIES
N/A

I think that the line has to be in and active for 5 days before PN can see it on their system. Ordinarily most houses already have a line in, so they can submit the cease and re-provide requests to BT in advance so that it happens on the day of moving. In your case, you may find that you have to arrange the cease and re-provide to happen a week after you move, (once your BT line is activated) and then wait for a week for the move to actually happen.
Is there a possibility that you will be allowed to have the phone installed before you actually move in? If its a new build, chances are the builder will accept that whoever buys the house will want a line, and therefore allow you to get it going before your completion/exchange date.
N/A

Don't know, but when we bought our current house which was also new build, we couldn't have anything put in beforehand as it would have to be taken out if we didn't complete. The house, as long as it follows the same procedure, will have all the customer side wiring and back to the exchange sorted, but there is required to be an engineer visit to connect the customer side up to the exchange and do line testing.

With our current house, we were able to book BT in for the day of the move to do this, and it would have been fine but due to other circumstances we had to wait 2 weeks for it to be sorted, not BT's fault but Barratts as they hadn't put the outside stuff in properly for us and 2 of out neighbours so BT couldn't connect the 2. As it was the last day before Christmas that we could complete, Barratts didn't have any site staff they could get to do it, so we had to wait until after new year to have it sorted. That put back the Sky installation, but I didn't have broadband at the time.

Anyway, I doubt the line can be connected before completion (legal completion when we own the house, or at least the bank does), but I should be able to have BT in on that day for connection.
craign
Grafter

[Slightly OT]
If you have the chance with a new build don't forget to put cat5/5e/6 wherever possible. Run it all to a common point, get the BT master socket installed there as well. Then your router can sit next to BT minimising noise and all your LAN net connections will be ready.

Second, check your will be supplied with copper BT lines and not some fiber kerb box concentrator. I'm still not sure what the state of play is on these things but I did hear a while back that some new estates could not get ADSL because of fibre concentrators between the exchange and subscribers.

[/Slightly OT]
N/A

[Slightly OT]
If you have the chance with a new build don't forget to put cat5/5e/6 wherever possible. Run it all to a common point, get the BT master socket installed there as well. Then your router can sit next to BT minimising noise and all your LAN net connections will be ready.

Second, check your will be supplied with copper BT lines and not some fiber kerb box concentrator. I'm still not sure what the state of play is on these things but I did hear a while back that some new estates could not get ADSL because of fibre concentrators between the exchange and subscribers.

[/Slightly OT]

There'll be lots of wiring going in for all of this kind of thing. As a sys/network admin I'll probably go overboard and run too much stuff all over the place. My father-in-law also used to be a telco engineer, so will be on hand for the telephone stuff as telco wiring isn't my forte. Overall, it'll be wired for everything sooner or later.

Thanks for the tip about the fiber/copper link curbside, I didn't know that. I'll try to check.
craign
Grafter

Last night I remembered the fiber is referred to as TPON - Telecommunications over Passive Optical Network. ADSLguide has more details, as do BT
N/A

Cheers lad, you're a star. From reading the ADSL guide bit on it, I would guess that it isn't going to be an issue as everything with fiber was being replaced a couple of years ago, but you never know. Thanks again for the heads up.