cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to house with no phone line

N/A

I will be moving house sometime within the next 6 weeks or so (probably won't know date untill about a week before I move) and the house I will be moving to, does not yet have a phone line installed. I won't be able to order a line instalation from BT until after my move in date, which will be the date my lease starts.

Therefore I am wondering what will be the procedure for moving my broadband premier account to my new address? I obviously wont know my new number untill the line is installed, and once I move from my current address I won't have internet access.

Any advice would be appreciated.
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hello,

On reading your post I think you have two obvious options here, firstly its clear that you wont be able to move your exsisting F9 premier account UNTIL you do have a new phone line & phone number. The earlier you can give both F9 & BT precise information about when the move will take place the smoother the move should happen as bear in mind that the ISP & BT have in theory to co-ordinate the move itself.

**Obviously you can only move an account from one exsisting phone number to another exsisting phone number. The number & account have to unmapped from one location and remapped to the new location (BT & F9 involved here). So you must have to the new number in place either on the day of the move or a known date must be stated for a number to be in place.

**In theory it should be possible to order both the new BT number & the account move i.e. a new connection put up & running with BT & F9 doing their bits in parallel so its coordinated on the same day (I say in theory because knowing how BT do things theres a large element of them messing it up unless they definately have all the correct information & required dates in places ages before hand).

**The second option would be to explore IF there are any WiFi hot spots in the area you intend to move to or someone in the location that has a WiFi router who might allow you temporary internet access through their equipment (i.e. share web access with you) if this were possible then you wouldnt need a physical phone line before BT did their bit. But obviously you would also need a wifi network card in your machine (desktop or laptop).

**I definately recommend that you talk too F9 PlusNet support people well before any move and make sure they know exactly what your requirements are and also too do the same with BT. If you think it would help put any information about dates & location etc in writing to them I think this would help or email.

Ivan
N/A

Thanks cyteck that was very helpful

This not having much advance notice of my move in date is a bit of a pain - but the way things stand at the mo there is nothing I can do about it. The day I finish paying rent here - will be the day I start paying rent there, and with all the other moving expences I cant afford to pay rent on both properties. The new landlord cant give me a move in date yet as he is waiting on Transco to fit a new Gas Meter and they wont be tied down to a date when they will do that - other than giving him a six week time frame. As soon as thats done he will notify me and we can get things moving. Then I will have to move quickly as my current landlord is in the proccess of selling and has a buyer waiting.

So - Do you think the best way to proceed would be to:-

a) Raise a ticket with F9 explaining the situation (before I move and as soon as I have my move in date). Then make note of Ticket number.

b) As soon as I know my move in date - phone BT and arrange for a line installation to take place as soon as possible after I have moved in to my new address.

c) After move and line is installed - phone CS from my new phone(quoting earlier ticket) and ask them to move my account to my new number and address.

d) Set up my equipment and just wait for the day that my router synchs? Or do you think F9 would phone me once the reprovision had been completed?
?

One other thing - Do I have to tell BT at the time I order my new line that I currently have Broadband with F9 and want to move my Broadband account - or is it solely F9's province to co-ordinate this with BT? I don't want to complicate matters and more than they already are.

I know that the whole process before I regain my internet access is likely to be weeks and am not so bothered about that - my point about that was, that once I lose internet access I would not be able to contact F9 to use the "moving my broadband form" or the ticket system, and I would be unable to phone CS until I had my new phone line put in as until then my only phone access would be a public payphone or PAYG mobile (not very practical if there's a long queue).

It's a shame - but I don't think the WiFi option will be available to me as I am moving to a new area and don't know anyone around there.

One briliant thing though - my new house is about 60yds from my local exchange - so once I am up and running with a new physical line my connection should be rock solid and capable of suporting the higher speeds when they come in. Cheesy
N/A

Hello Again,

To be honest with you I think your best options are as follows:-

b) As soon as I know my move in date - phone BT and arrange for a line installation to take place as soon as possible after I have moved in to my new address.

ANS:-
YES! definately do it this way around, because BT are now much faster & better at new line installations than they used to be in the past. I think a new line ordered will only take about 10-14 working days to have installed from past experience. I was quite suprised myself about this but it might also depend which part of the country your moving too (i.e. suburban or rural out in the stick?) At a guess inner city suburban areas will be done quicker.

**Once you have a date for the new line being installed by BT contact F9 as soon as you can,so F9 can do the move of your present Premier account. F9 work with BT to move your broadband connection from one location to another.

**Check with F9 that your phone line will be activated for an ADSL service on your new number. This is the only bit I'm very uncertain about, you must ask F9 if your new line requires an activation fee paying to enable broadband on your new phone line. And NOTE definately DONT tell BT that your ISP is F9 let PlusNet do all the co-ordination work with BT behined the scenes. You will definately complicate things & create confusion if you tell BT that your ISP is F9 PlusNet.

**IF you tell them that F9 is your ISP they wont be so helpful or in such a hurry to get your broadband up and working. BT would like all there phone customers too also be BTOpenworld & BTYahoo ISP customers but I can tell you that sadly BT's own ISP service is utterly aweful and I wouldnt ever recommend it too anyone, its very badly managed as a network IMO.

**Once you have a new phone line & number the F9 move shouldnt take too long about the same as BT 10-14days possibly much quicker depending upon how many other moves are being provisioned at the same time in the system.

Ivan
N/A

Thanks again Ivan

I am a lot clearer about things now. I am hoping BT will be able to put a new line in fairly quickly as its right in the centre of town near lots of shops and offices and plenty of nearby poles to attach to.

**Check with F9 that your phone line will be activated for an ADSL service on your new number. This is the only bit I'm very uncertain about, you must ask F9 if your new line requires an activation fee paying to enable broadband on your new phone line.

This came as a bit of a surprise and I will definitely check this with F9 CS. I am hoping it wont be the case as my move is already turning out to be an expensive proposition - theres no telly ariel either so it looks like ill be without telly for a while too. Its a good job I enjoy reading, and theres always the local Blockbuster - a luxury I dont enjoy at the moment.

However I am confident that this will prove to be a good move for me at this time in my life and am looking forward to it with great enthusiasm - despite the initial hassles it will entail.

So once again - thanks for all your help - its been much appreciated.

Venice
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

There is a fee to move your broadband, which can be paid in one of two ways. You can either pay the full fee of £52.88 up front and that's it. Or you can defer the fee like we do with new activations. You pay an admin fee of £5.88 up front and defer the rest of the fee over 5 years. Stay 5 years and the house move is free. I think it explains it in a bit more detail on the Move My ADSL page.
N/A

Hi Venice,

Hope your move goes smoothly for you, glad to be able to help & offer my support. Bye the way you DONT have to be without a TV service either, have a look at some of the "very" reasonably priced portable indoor (set top) high gain ariels that are available on the electronics market. I've seen very high quality portable ariels for around the £15.99 mark but might be more like £20 by now as that was last year I think.

**Also have a look at the prices for roof top installation of ariels you might be plesantly suprised by the cost involved I dont think they are as expensive as you might expect. You should be able to get one for as little as about £30-40 quid.

Ivan
N/A

Hi Venice,

Hope your move goes smoothly for you, glad to be able to help & offer my support. Bye the way you DONT have to be without a TV service either, have a look at some of the "very" reasonably priced portable indoor (set top) high gain ariels that are available on the electronics market. I've seen very high quality portable ariels for around the £15.99 mark but might be more like £20 by now as that was last year I think.

**Also have a look at the prices for roof top installation of ariels you might be plesantly suprised by the cost involved I dont think they are as expensive as you might expect. You should be able to get one for as little as about £30-40 quid.

Ivan

Coool Ivan - I never thought of a portable indoor ariel! Its my birthday today and youve made my day Cheesy

Plus if installing a roof top ariel is a cheap as you say then I might not be without telly as long as I thought. I thought I was looking at a minimum of £150.

Cheers for the info
Venice
N/A

Hi,

There is a fee to move your broadband, which can be paid in one of two ways. You can either pay the full fee of £52.88 up front and that's it. Or you can defer the fee like we do with new activations. You pay an admin fee of £5.88 up front and defer the rest of the fee over 5 years. Stay 5 years and the house move is free. I think it explains it in a bit more detail on the Move My ADSL page.

Thanks for the info Dave - thats good to know. Because money is tight I will likely go for the £5.88 option.

Cheers
Venice
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I'd say it's always best to take the deferred option, because if you leave within the first 12 months, you'd pay no more than you would have if you'd paid up front. If you leave after a year then it's less than you'd pay upfront, and stay for 5 years and you just pay the £5.88.