cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving my ADSL

N/A

Moving my ADSL

I am in the process of moving house. If i move my account PN state i will not loose any of *my settings*. They will also not charge me for the move as long as i stay for another 12 months.
I have two questions;

1) Will i still have an unlimited account; the new advertised packages for the same price i am paying (£21.99 Premier) are quoted as 30GB with unlimited off peak hours.

2) People who are staying in the house currently have mailboxes on the account. Can i keep these active by putting them on a PAYG Dial up or Broadband package? I was thinking because they are on a PN IP address they could still authenticate to the mail server.

3) Am i going about the move the right way? :?

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Moving my ADSL

What do you mean by 'move the account'. Are you moving your ADSL connection to a new house or transfering the account to someone else (which I do not think is possible).

Q 0: if yiou are transfering your ADSL connection to a new house, the cost of the move (which is actually an activation charge) is, I believe off-set over 5 years not 12 months, just like the free activation for new connections. So if you leave within 12 mionths you pay the full move (activation) fee, if you leave in year 2 you pay 4/5ths of the fee, leave in year 3 you pay 3/5ths of the fee etc. You need to get the 12 month figure verified as it contradicts my understanding.

Q1: ALL current and past products are not unlimited. They are all subject to AUP & SUP & traffic management limits as of 14th Sept when the new T&C were issued and you accepted. So for premier option 1 you have 15GB traffic management and 30GB SUP.

Q2: Moving your account will remove ADSL from the line so they will need another ADSL package. This can be a PAYG, BB+ or premier product or a connection with another ISP as you do not need to be on a PN IP to pick up emails from a PN account. When you move your account, your mailboxes go with you.

Is it important that they keep their existing mail addresses as when they sign up for a new ADSL connection they will use a new name and thus can have that as their mailbox.

I'm not sure I fully understand what is happening here though?
N/A

Moving my ADSL

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the delay, and thank you for your PM. Smiley

I have decided to stay with PN. Apart from the recent e-mail shower they have provided a rock solid broadband connection for me.

I want to transfer my ADSL account using the account portal as i have a day next week for re-enabling the line and phone number but i am worried incase the line changes number. The BT operator said this is highly unlikely, but is possible.
Should i submit my new details or wait until i have a dial tone with confirmed number?

Thanks
N/A

Moving my ADSL

..........another ISP as you do not need to be on a PN IP to pick up emails from a PN account. When you move your account, your mailboxes go with you.

Only webmail will work if they use a mail client like Outlook they will be able to receive emails but not send because of the SMTP authentication issue. So unless they have access to another SMTP server they will need to sign up for a PN account.
Community Veteran

Moving my ADSL

I want to transfer my ADSL account using the account portal as i have a day next week for re-enabling the line and phone number but i am worried incase the line changes number.

What line changes number? where you were or where you are going to? Are you keeping your phone number when you move or are you getting a new one?

The BT operator said this is highly unlikely, but is possible.
Should i submit my new details or wait until i have a dial tone with confirmed number?

Thanks

Depends on the answer you give to my Qs above. There is still the possibility the number you have been given will not be the actual number but usually it will not change.

As you are effectively moving your broadband to another line (whether you have a new number or keep your existing one), there will no longer be a broadband connection in your old house so the new occupants (or those remaining) will need to sign-up for broadband from whomever they choose. They can still pick up their emails from your account but will need to use the new ISPs SMTP server to send any.

I'm not too well up on the best practices when moving broadband but I would wait until you have a working phone at your new location (and know for sure what the number is) then put in a request to move your ADSL. You do know there will be a cost for this (£47 which is just a new activation fee). I don't recommend taking the free move option as you need to stay with PN for 5 years before it becomes free which in todays volatile market it probably unlikely (unless you are really strapped for cash?).
Community Veteran

Moving my ADSL

..........another ISP as you do not need to be on a PN IP to pick up emails from a PN account. When you move your account, your mailboxes go with you.

Only webmail will work if they use a mail client like Outlook they will be able to receive emails but not send because of the SMTP authentication issue. So unless they have access to another SMTP server they will need to sign up for a PN account.

Hence why I stated pick up email as in receive which is what was originally requested. Sending can just use the SMTP server of the ISP they decide to sign up to.