Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house woes

frusher
Dabbler

Moving house woes

Folks

I wondered if anyone who has moved adsl connection to a new house can help.

I have used the online 'help' assistant to move my connection but the system is now saying there is a issue with my line (either a new number, existing adsl connection, incompatable products etc etc) and they can not place the the order for the new adsl service.

Ok, hands up, I am on a new number and I think there was an exisiting adsl connection on my line before I moved in.

However that does still not help me move my connection!! I have had no reply to a question I logged via the help tool for more information about this and I am left hanging for a week now.

Are there any good tools I can use to pin the issue down??

I have never had to use plus net's helpdesk before in anger but they just seem to hide people behind a wall of ineffective web sites.
10 REPLIES
timps
Grafter

moving house woes

Hi Frusher...i guess you are in the early days of a long haul ....i've been waiting for completion for 6 weeks now..with no sign of completion
i have found no useful tools... neither have i received any useful consistent information..if you are more fortunate please let me know the secret..i have lost the will to live with this problem.
See my posts

timps
frusher
Dabbler

Moving house woes

Folks

Just to follow-up (and for the benefit of others searching the forum) I have found that the previous occupants ISP left a adsl marker / tag on my line. That is why I can not get a new service provided on the line...

To get the marker removed I found this page... http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/internet/tag/
N/A

More house move woes

Evil

We seem to be experiencing the full PlusNet moving service as well. Requested a transferral of our broadband account to our new number on 21st July. BT issued the new telephone number, and even put in an ADSL order at the same time (for which they provided the works order no.) in order to make the move as seamless as possible. Here we are nearly 3 weeks later, and still no broadband access at our new number.

Why? Well, apparently the PlusNet BOT team have lost the ability to actually pick up the telephone and speak to BT wholesale. There was an issue in that the previous owner had a Broadband account on the line (although that was on a different number). However, the BOT team just left the order stalled, and did not follow this up. After a morning spent speaking to BT wholesale myself, early lst week, BT promised that the line would be clear on Thursday 3rd August. PlusNet promised that they would re-test it at 9.00am on Friday morning.

Needless to say, this hasn't happened, and we are still in limbo, with no tickets answered since 31st July (over a week ago). Having checked with BT, the line is now clear, so there is no excuse.

I really don't know what else we can do - we've done all of the hard work for PlusNet - we've had the ADSL on the new line activated, and we've also dealt directly with BT wholesale in order to remove any blocks from the line. Plus Net really just have to actually activate the account, but currently seem incapable of performing even that simple task.

Add this to the fact that it is impossible to actually speak to somebody on the phone about any problems, and it makes reasons for staying with PlusNet pretty thin on the ground.

As somebody who works from home 2 days a week, lack of boradband is actually stopping me from doing my job properly - I've been reduced to sitting in numerous cafes and pubs with open access points, which would be fine if I wasn't 7 months pregnant, and so understandable not too happy about all of the cigarette smoke that I've had to inhale over the last 3 weeks.

Somebody - please sort this out (or just console me that I'm not the only member experiencing this terrible level of service, as I'd hate to think it was personal!)
James
Grafter

Moving house woes

Hi Cyberzig,

I was trying to deal with a similar issue last week.

Now, I used to be able to call Provisions and get them to place a cease order for me, but now I can't do that. There's a new openreach tag removal line. Great, I thought.

Called it ten times, 9 times got an engaged tone. 10th time waiting 45 minutes before giving up. Same thing happened day after day after day.
frusher
Dabbler

Moving house woes

Cyberzig

Looks like we have both been down the same route. I am a few days/weeks behind you but the experience of Plusnet support for this house move is IDENTICAL.

(I was queuing on the phone to BTW for 1hr this morning and still no pick up so will try later to get the tag removed).

Ok, some items are outside Plusnet control but give us the information/tools/ideas how to progress things instead of just leaving us stalled.

I am staggered we can not speak to someone at plusnet to get support. I now want to join an ISP with people on help lines, I do not mind paying a few quid more.

I am in a bizare situation that my adsl works in my new house, but the house move tool is all set to cancel my line as of tomorrow and they can not arranage a new line because of the adsl marker/tag.

I left a help assistant message but no reply.
N/A

Moving house woes

Hi Frusher -

Agree completely, not sure what else I can do, so will probably cancel my PlusNet subscription (although not sure what's to cancel, as have had no service for 3 weeks), and try a different ISP - One where they actually have people on the phone...(It's got to be worth an extra £25 a year...)
timps
Grafter

moving house woes

Hi again Frusher...now over 6 weeks waiting for me and nothing more than promise of an update next friday...no suggestion that may help the problem
i have now complained to pfcom plusnet have not responded to them within 5 days i have been advised to formally complain via CISAS which i am doing
in the meantime i am seeking the quickest way to escape this painful process and try another isp

timps
N/A

Moving house woes

Had the usual plusnet runaround prior to moving house about 3 weeks ago, dismal support, hours on phone pushing useless options, no one called me back and v v slow email reponses; I could see the writing on the wall: if I allowed plusnet to move me I would be stuffed for weeks without service.

So: gave up and requested moving ISP. Despite devious attempts by plusnet to prevent the move (support closed both my requests stating that each was a duplicate of the other, several 36 hr responses from them each with some tiny new requirement I had to fulfill before they could proceed as if they couldnt have told me the lot in the first response), eventually they processed it and I was shot of them.

Moved to Virgin (tested their phone support BEFORE signing), they allow cancel at at months notice, email relay etc., was a totally painless process, and connected within 7 days.

I suggest do yourself a favor and cut your losses.
frusher
Dabbler

Moving house woes

Sounds like a plan to me...

Can I ask if you had to request a MAC code for the move to VirginHuh

As my plusnet service is terminating tomorrow I was not sure if I still needed a MAC code as I no longer will have a adsl service....Huh?

I'll give it a few days to see if anything happens but I am just simply knocked sideways by the lack of support and will also move.
N/A

Moving house woes

Hi Frusher,

My understanding is that the MAC code is a marker on the line and is required to move ISP on the same line, ie if you are moving, your existing MAC code wont come into it (it may be a problem for the next person in your house), but if the house you are going to has an existing broadband you may have to get that cleared (unless the people there have provisioned their boradband move).

The point being that the chap I spoke to at Virgin checked the line in the house I was moving to while I was on the phone to him (miracle of miracles!) He told me the MAC code was not necessary, told me what speed the line would support and told me the connection would happen in 7 days, which it did.

I moved to a newbuild house, brand new phone line, kept same phone number, same telephone exchange. I could not place the order until the BT line was activated in the new house with my existing number, because I had not asked BT for a "simultaneous move", something I didnt know about at the time.