cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house charges

N/A

Moving house charges

What exactly is the break down of charges for moving house? It costs about £60 right? Is that charges made by plusnet, or by BT?

Nildram seems to be able to move their customers for £15. see Here
31 REPLIES
N/A

Moving house charges

I believe Nildram subsidise their house movers system, as do some other providers.

The house movers porcess is effectivly a new activation at the new premisis. PlusNet also add a admin fee to this, due to the manual work involved in this process (it isn't automated like an normal activation).
N/A

Moving house charges

How much is it from plusnet just for comparison? I might be better off migrating to nildram, then paying THEM to move my house. How ridiculous is that.
N/A

Moving house charges

When are you due to move?
There may not be enough time to perform a migration if you are moving soon.

The exact cost is £64.63 by PlusNet (inc vat).
N/A

Moving house charges

leave current place 3rd july, enter new pad 21st july.

Argh, commuting from penicuik to edinburgh for 2 weeks!
N/A

Moving house charges

There is one problem with any house mover process in those dates. The gap appears to be too long.

The home movers process is geared to those who move from one property straight to another. Though there is likely a 4 ot 5 day window in which you could be in limbo.

An 18 day(?) period in limbo is over twice the normal size of an activation period, and raises a few issues you may run into.

Is somebody moving into your property as you move out?
When you move out, are you taking on the line at the new property, as you move out of your old, or as you move into the new?

The gap would likely be too long with any ISP.
N/A

Moving house charges

Ill email nildram and find out i think.

My flat will be taken over by another bunch of layabouts when i leave, wont be trusting them with anything Wink

Maybe they can put a note with my move, asking the activation to be held off a few weeks.

Not taking the old line with us, no.
N/A

Moving house charges

Right, having thought about this some more, you will find you would be better off terminating your account, and starting from scratch.

The home movers system is designed so that the ISP keeps trying until the order is accepted, rather than holding off.

If the ISP provides free-activation, you will find that nicer than home movers, and just as much hastle.
N/A

Moving house charges

Well, id agree with you, if the isp offers free set up.

Cant find a decent ISP that is offering free set up and pricing structure to suit me. If anyone knows any decent ISPs with free set ups then let me know!

Heres my reply from the Nildram Sales Manager at 8.30am today.

If you are already a customer of ours a gap of some 20 days should not
cause to much of a problem. If BT have sorted out their simultaneous
move process then we should be able to activate the day you move in. We
do supply as part of the package a dial up service that will enable you
to at least pick up your mails in the interim

regards

Richard Manton
Sales Manager

I like the sound of their £25 2mb 50gb on peak cap and unlimited off peak. VERYstraight forward, you know exactly where you stand AND (lord no!) its a reasonable limit.
N/A

Moving house charges

I have one major concern from that, which actualy clarifies something for me I needed to know.

If BT have sorted out their simultaneous
move process then we should be able to activate the day you move in

if

The process he refers to here has been on going for over 12 months now, with no sign of being completely fixed/finalised.

In my eyes, the process is pot-luck.

With the type of move you are looking for, you would preferably be looking for free-activation, or gurentees the home movers process from BT will be working by then (for which, the ISP can't offer you such a gurentee, unless they are willing to pay for activation costs if BT don't release).

Even if the process is in place, I am still concerned regarding the size of the time gap.

As you said, when you leave, you will terminate your previous BT account. But what date are you due to start your new account?

I was always under the impression BT would not let you prepare a an advance date, unless you own the property what you book it.

To get the home movers process to work, you need this advance date from BT.

It's catch 22. I still think BT need to make things easier.
CaptainFantasti
Grafter

Moving house charges

Another option might be to continue to pay for the connection at your old house, and then initialise the migration a couple of days before you move into your new home.

Or is that a really dumb idea? Shockedops:
N/A

Moving house charges

And just a note on starting an accoutn again, if you have any referrals you lose them, they will not be transferred over.
N/A

Moving house charges

ericdixon

As pointed out above, somebody is moving in to the property right away. This means that the BT account will be terminated.

When this happens, BT put an automatic cease on the ADSL service.

There would be no way to undo this, as no account means no services to be provided.

zoombini

Not strictly true.

As noted, he may not be staying with PlusNet, however, to pretend he is.

He could simply downgrade the account to a PAYG dialup account, thus all account details including referals remain (though are not paid if you are a PAYG dialup customer).

If he was to upgrade from this point, he would then regain his referal discount.

If he was to opt for the PlusNet movers process (which I coubt would work properly), referals would be unaffected at all.
N/A

Moving house charges

Ive emailed nildram to see what they propose to do about the cease that will happen to my ADSL when i cancel my BT account... in the first reply they thought it was possible, but whever that was to do with the non existant BT system or not we will have to see ...
N/A

Moving house charges

Nildram are coming off a shiney polished ISP so far..

Migrate to us now and then we will take care of the move. Hopefully we can do a provide on the day you move in, this will be dictated by a. Will the line go live before the 21st. b. BT get the simultaneous provide together (we think that they will) regardless once you cease the line you will be without ADSL, however you will have use of the dial up account. Charge for the move setup £14.99

regards

Richard Manton
Sales Manager
richard.manton@nildram.net

Thoughts Phillip? It looks like they are going to waive the new setup fee and just keep my broadband account at their end running, then accociate it with my new phoneline.