cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house and taking ADSL with me

N/A

Moving house and taking ADSL with me

I'm in the process of moving out of my house where I have my PN ADSL line installed.

The new house is ADSL enabled - in fact, ADSL is already installed for my housemates BT Openworld setup.

Can I pay my 30 quid and move my CLI number over to the new place, without buggering up his BT account? Essentially, I'd connect to PN whenever I go online and he'd connect to BT whenever he goes online?

If I can't migrate my account, this is going to be worse than not being able to get ADSL in the area - I can get it, it's already installed, but I can't bloody use it! Sad

I had hoped I could just plug in, authenticate and away we go, but although I get a sync on the box, I can't authenticate...

Sitting here praying for a "good" answer!
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Moving house and taking ADSL with me

Hi There,

Unfortunately there isn't a 'good' answer to this. When BT setup ADSL they effectively hard code the ADSL realm used to the BT line. If this line already has DSL with a BTopenworld connection it is impossible to use this with a plus.net realm without first cancelling the BT openworld connection.

I'm afraid the only solution is going to be to have a second BT line installed in the house.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

> Unfortunately there isn't a 'good' answer to this. When BT setup ADSL they effectively hard code the ADSL realm used to the BT line. If this line already has DSL with a BTopenworld connection it is impossible to use this with a plus.net realm without first cancelling the BT openworld connection.

I was afraid that was going to be the case. What makes it really bloody annoying is that he hardly uses the thing! Sad

> I'm afraid the only solution is going to be to have a second BT line installed in the house.

In the immortal words of my dear old mum, "Bugger".

The only other option I have is to network mine and his PC's and live off his subscription, cancelling my PN account, but he's got a poxy USB BT modem which makes it difficult to network and he's also very wary of me "messing" about with his PC.

I wonder if I could persuade him to move out? Smiley

Thanks for the prompt reply Ian - I'm off to sulk and decide what I'm going to do to get back online at decent speeds...
N/A

> > Unfortunately there isn't a 'good' answer to this. When BT setup ADSL they effectively hard code the ADSL realm used to the BT line. If this line already has DSL with a BTopenworld connection it is impossible to use this with a plus.net realm without first cancelling the BT openworld connection.
>
> I was afraid that was going to be the case. What makes it really bloody annoying is that he hardly uses the thing! Sad
>
> > I'm afraid the only solution is going to be to have a second BT line installed in the house.
>
> In the immortal words of my dear old mum, "Bugger".
>
> The only other option I have is to network mine and his PC's and live off his subscription, cancelling my PN account, but he's got a poxy USB BT modem which makes it difficult to network and he's also very wary of me "messing" about with his PC.
>
> I wonder if I could persuade him to move out? Smiley
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply Ian - I'm off to sulk and decide what I'm going to do to get back online at decent speeds...
>

You could use your mode/router or whatever you have to connect to his BT account ?? you don't have to use his 'poxy usb modem'

Just a thaught.

Bill