cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving House - what do you do?

cossey
Grafter

I'd like to ask what people do when they move house?

From what I can tell I'll be without broadband for AT LEAST 10 days, as I'm taking my phone number with me Sad To be honest I was somewhat surprised that it would take so long.:shock:

I guess I'll have to try and find a 56k modem to use during that time but what experiences has anyone else had on doing this?

TIA

Graham
24 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Taking the same number with you can cause problems because we can't place the order for broadband at the new address until the service at the old address is ceased. As each of these takes a week plus a day or two for the databases to update so leaving about 10 days of downtime.

There is another way of doing it and that's to place a Simulataneous (Sim) order which will activate broadband and phone at the same time. This needs at least 10 days notice before the move date and also needs you to contact us before placing the phone line move with BT Retail so we can generate a code.

The Sim order process isn't 100% reliable yet, but the more notice we have the better and more chance it will work. So if you've got more than 10 days before you move I would recommend raising a ticket about the Sim order process and we can try that first for you.
cossey
Grafter

Thanks for that Dave seems like it's at least worth a try as no broadband for 2 weeks would kill me Sad
I'll be in touch nearer the move date which is hopefully only about 6 weeks away.

BTW: Any reason why I don't get notified of a reply to my message even though I've ticked the box?
N/A

Ditch PlusNet - their customer service is nonexistant, their broadband service is dismal and their prices are too high.
Dodgydog
Grafter

lmao now thats what i call a constructive helpful comment.
only prob you might have with sim house move is BT
you get a ref number to give to isp ,this isnt always the correct number so then PN have to spend time chasing them to give correct one and sort it out WHICH THEY DO
speaking from personal experience
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yep, the Sim order process isn't entirely the most reliable or easiest process in the world, but so long as we have sufficient time we can usually spot the problems as they happen and fix them.

The earlier you can start the ball rolling the better, so as I say raise a ticket and we can generate the code you need as soon as you know the moving date then speak to BT and then come back to us with their reference number.

If you can start that part 3 weeks before you move then it has a much improved chance of going through because we can check the status a week or so in and if there's a problem there's still time to restart the process.
N/A

BTW: Any reason why I don't get notified of a reply to my message even though I've ticked the box?

It could be that you have changed your email address since your forum profile was created.

The first time you log into the forums, the address registered on your account at that time is sent to the forum database, and used for such notifications.

If you have changed contact details elsewhere on the portal, your address will not have been changed on the forums. (A limitation of the current set-up - our new community site should not have this limitation)

If you would like someone to check your address, send a PM with the correct address to one of the Moderating Administrators on the boards (names shown in green at the foot of the forum index when we are online)

We can check and correct if neccesary.

~~~~~~

Ditch PlusNet - their customer service is nonexistant, their broadband service is dismal and their prices are too high.

@lmss4 : Not the most useful comment to add - could I suggest you start a new thread outlining any specific problems you have - perhaps somebody could help you out.

Its well worth having a read through the link:rules - they contain some very worthwhile info on how to best receive help on issues through these boards.
N/A

You pray that it doesn't take as long as mine did - 6 weeks.
N/A

Moving house and chaning to a non-BT phone provider?

Hello. I currently use Broadband Plus and have a BT phone account. I'm about to move house and am considering having a non-BT phone provider. Could somebody please clarify whether it's possible to have Broadband Plus on a non-BT phone line? The web-page for moving house seems to imply that a BT account may be required; but it's not clear to me whether that is an absolute restriction or whether there are any other alternatives. For example I know that some other phone service providers use BT but bill under a different name. I'm a bit confused by this, and I've searched the PlusNet site for a clear answer but can't find one. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.
N/A

You don't need a BT account, just a BT line.

You can buy your gas from whoever you like, but the pipes are all Transco owned.

I believe that virtually all landlines are BT provided, but not sure if there is a cable equivalent?

Perhaps it may be worthwhile giving the names of the suppliers you are considering, then maybe somebody can give a definative answer.
N/A

Thanks very much for your helpful (amd quick!) reply. I've decided for to stick with BT for the time being; I felt it was too risky to try changing phone provider at the same time. I'll deal with that after moving.
N/A

Glad to be helpful, oh and welcome to the forums - don't be a stranger!
N/A

If you live in the Hull area there is an alternative to BT, Kingston Communications link
N/A

Just noticed your post - I hope I'm not too late.

We are moving in just over 3 weeks time and I used the Move Tool to let Plusnet know.

THEN I spotted your comments about placing the Sim order so I qiuckly added a comment to my question but when I actually read the order part it said the support team will not see any comments I added till the house move is complete?

So I can't ask them to do the Sim order?

Please help!
N/A

BTW, why doesn't Plusnet let you know BEFORE you use the Move tool that there are other ways of going about it?

Surely most customers don't want to wait to have their broadband reconected and actually I've been worrying about it since we knew we were moving!

Also I think if you let the customers know that the sim order can improve their chances of getting the broadband connected at the same time as the phone they would let you know in plenty of time - most people do know at least 3 weeks in advance that they are moving!