cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Domains In

N/A

Moving Domains In

I have been unsuccessfully trying to move 2 .com domains into PlusNet, this is partly due to the releasing ISP (Demon) changing the goalposts for what they required from me.
The last hurdle I have found is that they are now saying that PlusNet are one of the very few Domains that require Administrative and Legal Contacts changed over to them. (Definitely not in the Help and Support pages.)
Is this a normal requirement? I know they never did this before.
They are consequently not releasing them until they get faxed letterheads with PlusNet's Contact details.
These are to include their full name, postal address, telephone and fax number and email address. (I WOULD be very surprised if they give me a telephone number!)

(question ID: 19935063 if anyone from P/N is reading...)
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Moving Domains In

Are Demon the registrar? You certainly don't have to fully transfer the domain over to PlusNet, although I guess you can do. Not sure why they insist on you doing this, but usually you can just host a domain on PlusNet and leave the registrar as they are.

For the domain all that is required is you need to change the nameservers across and let PlusNet know via ticket to create DNS entries for your domain and it will be mapped to your e-mail and webspace.

If Demon insist you change registrar, you could either do it with PlusNet or transfer the registrar elsewhere and set the nameservers to PlusNet's. You might want to check the implications of having PlusNet as a registrar should you want to move ISP in the future (I am not sure if there are any, just saying check if there are).

I've got my domains registered with www.ukreg.com and they seem fine. I used to have my domains hosted by PlusNet by changing the nameservers from the registrar (as above) but I've moved them away since then.

So you should be able to transfer a domain to a different registrar (if you want), I believe with .com's this can be done electronically, all Demon actually have to do is release the domain lock to allow this to take place.

I've not moved a domain before, so I am sure there is someone on here more knowledgeable than me.
N/A

Moving Domains In

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that we are a little further on down the road with this. I have already got Demon to tell it's registrar to accept new instructions from PlusNet's (BulkRegister). Demon say on principle that they do not change nameservers over (so that you can continue to receive your mail until the last minute) and that that is down top PlusNet. Everything was going fine until I said that I wanted to close my account with Demon...they then said that they need this information on PlusNet faxed over on our compnies' headed letters.
The problem still resides with gapingly long pauses in the (in)famous PlusNet ticket system. I was just wondering whether the taking over of the domains' Admin and Legal Contacts was entirely necessary (it could always be Demon telling a few porkies). And why it was not mentioned sometime near the beginning of the process.
N/A

Moving Domains In

If your domains are .uk then you can go directly to nominet and ask them to change the registration agent. It cost £15 but I believe it's a quick process. When this has been done then you can you Plusnet transfer in tool. You may want to thibk more about this as PN change for domain renewal is approximately £50. May want to think about using another agent as suggested by @hunthome and ask PN to host only which require a ticket to be raised. For nominet information go here
N/A

Moving Domains In

Soory just saw the domains are .com. Probably too late but my advice would be to cancel the PN transfer and go here