cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Domain to Plusnet Hosting

N/A

Hi,

I have just bought myself a domain from 1 & 1 and am wanting to move the hosting to PN.

I know that I need to enter som IP address into the DNS, but I am unsure exactly where.

Under the 'Advanced DNS Settings' I have the following options

IP Address (A-Record)
Mail Exchanger (MX-Record)

Under the IP Address (A-Record) there is room for what appears to be an IP however there is only room for one

Under Mail Exchanger (MX-Record) there are 4 fields
MX 1 / Prio
MX 2 / Prio
MX 3 / Prio
MX 4 / Prio

The fields for these are broken into 2 sections which don't appear to be related to IP.

What info do I put where?

Thanks
12 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Have a read of this article from the Help and Support pages. Browse down to the Hosting paragraph.

Most of your questions should be answered there.

If you have any other query, post back.

Hope it helps.
N/A

I had already looked at that guide but still couldn't work out where to put the changes. Seemed I was looking in the wrong place.

I wanted to be making changes under BASIC not advanced Cheesy

Thanks for the help...
grahambritten
Grafter

When I transferred in one of my domains to PlusNet this is what I did...

Log into your 1&1 Control Panel and go to the Administration tab. Under Packages > Webhosting > Domains select your domain name and click on the DNS button. You need to edit the Advanced DNS Settings to:-

Primary name server = ns1.force9.net
Secondary name server = Secondary name server
Secondary name server = ns2.force9.net

You will need to wait for the name server changes to propagate and then raise a ticket with PlusNet.

The route I used in the ticket system was as follows:-

Technical Support > Domain Names > Transfering an existing domain name in to host on my account > Any .uk Domain > Manual Transfer (DNS Only Hosting)

I asked PlusNet to:-
Can you please host the following domain and NOT become the billing or Admin contact. The domain is:-

removed

I have changed the DNS settings of this domain to your servers ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net. I have performed a Whois and can confirm that the settings have now been changed and propagated.

PlusNet then made the necessary changes and the domain was hosted. Hope this helps, I'm sure if I've missed anything someone else will let you know.
N/A

Thanks for all the help Smiley

I have now successfully raised a ticket and am just waiting for them to move the domain over Cheesy
Eserim
Rising Star

Hi - I'm doing the same - do you have to do anything with the 1&1 mail server to get mail sent to the +net servers or does this follow automatically?

Cheers

Chris
LiamM
Grafter

Nope, when you change the nameservers it means that Plusnet handle all the DNS for the domain, including mail. So it'll just hook onto your Plusnet email account(s).
Eserim
Rising Star

many thanks, one final question, do these hosted, but not managed domains appear in my list of domain names and then can be set to point to a specific folder of my web space?

Ta

Chris
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Yes, they will.
Eserim
Rising Star

many thans - mine have propogated - ticket "in the post" Cheesy
N/A

I leave my domains with one and one as they only charge 1.99 per year for .co.uk where as PN charge £12 per year.

the other thing with 1&1 is you can redirect it so it retians the correct domain name even though it is pointing to a different space
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

The only thing about domain redirection using the 1&1 method, is that many search engines including Google, refuse to rank you very well, if at all.

Kind Regards,
Eserim
Rising Star

thanks for that - although not an issue for me as it is a private site for familt picies I have just moved in.

Intersted to know why that is though. Any ideas?

Chris