Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved over to ADSL2+

N/A

Moved over to ADSL2+

According to an email I received from Plusnet yesterday:

Dear xxxxxxxx,

As part of our commitment to providing the best value broadband experience, we have now successfully moved your broadband service to our alternative broadband network.

You should see no change in your service and you don't need to change any settings or your hardware, your broadband will simply continue to work as normal.

Thank you for your continued custom.

Kind regards,

PlusNet Customer Support
http://www.plus.net

This email has been sent to you as it contains important information about your service from PlusNet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an unmonitored address.

I logged into my router and I'm getting the following stats:
DSL Status : Up
DSL Modulation Mode : ADSL2+
DSL Path Mode : INTERLEAVED
Downstream Rate : 7981 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 611 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 23 db
Upstream Margin : 12 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 14
Upstream Line Attenuation : 6
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

I didn't think ADSL2+ was ADSL Max or whatever BT call it...
Also my download speed has not changed yet.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Smiley
17 REPLIES
N/A

Moved over to ADSL2+

Tiscali LLUs use ADSL 2 whereas BT doesnt. ADSL 2 allows speeds upto 24mb in selected areas and depending on your PlusNet package.

This means, there is a Tiscali section in your local exchange. Some people have this, some people dont. In theory it means you are not using BT anymore Wink it depends how you look at it.
N/A

Moved over to ADSL2+

But, does this mean the BT phone line can be ditched now?
I know the same with delivers the BB, but can voice line rental etc be ditched?

Or to put it another way, can you get ADSL from PN without a BT line now in some areas?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Moved over to ADSL2+

I'm pretty sure the line must be provided by someone, ie BT, Carphone Warehouse or PlusNet (when their new packages are launched in June) or whoever else. Without the line there would not be anything for BT, Tiscalli or any other LLU provider to provide broadband on.

Phil
N/A

Moved over to ADSL2+

Like I said, it depends how you look at it. Its hard to explain as I dont know much about it.

I would guess that BT still owns the lines but those lines can either be hooked up to BT/Tiscali/Other LLUs etc. So your merely using another firms equipment, your still using the BT line to get to the equipment.

But in this case the Tiscali equipment has been designed for ADSL2+ not ADSL1, if you were to switch back to BT you will get ADSL1.

Just think of your local bus service and there being different bus stations all next to one another. One is newer, probably faster due to less congestion and looks alot better with new roads and parking facilities.

Then there is BTs bus station, full of graffiti, yobbos and chavs hanging outside. The buses are all labelled BT Broadband but the seating is none existant, its a stand up only bus lol.

No matter which one you get on, it still uses the same roads to get to its destination. Wink
N/A

Moved over to ADSL2+

I thought all buses were like that.....

Been googling for a while now trying to find the answer, and since I can't see anybody proclaiming the greatness of LLU meaning that you can ditch the voice contract with BT, I can only assume you are right. Cry

Might call BT and ask them.... do you think they'll give me a straight answer?
Nocturne
Grafter

Moved over to ADSL2+

Were you asked if you wanted to move to the Tiscali system.

I may be wrong on this but if you want to change ISP's and move back to a BT network this could be awkward.

The last reference I saw suggested that BT will require a standard fee to re-connect your ADSL which I think PN will assess on a case by case basis.

I assume that if you are relatively close to the Exchange you may benefit from higher speeds at some future date if 24 Mb becomes available.

I assume that if anyone, because of their distance from the Exchange, cannot get the maximum speeds on MaxDsl, they will not get any higher speeds from Tiscali system even if it is nominally 24 Mb at some future date.

Presumably you may get some benefit if the Tiscali system is newer, has better capacity or whatever.

The point being, is there any advantage in going to a Tiscali system if you may never see any benefit from it and may have to pay to come off it.
JonathanW
Grafter

Moved over to ADSL2+

At the moment, you do need a voice line with either BT or another provider, as you need an actual telephone line in order to receive any form of ADSL service. But looking at what your router is showing, you would appear to be on one of the few exchanges that have ADSL2 kit installed, though you'll only see transfer speeds above 8mb if you're on an account that supports them.

Your line stats look pretty good though, so that should remain as a nice stable connection for you, including the faster upload speed that you won't see on a regular Max connection.
N/A

Moved over to ADSL2+

Thanks for all your replies.

When can I actually expect to get "8mb" download speeds?

I'm currently on a "PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1" package.
pjay
Dabbler

Moved over to ADSL2+

I've been on the Tiscali LLU product for about 5 weeks now, my router has always synced at 8Meg downstream, but I only get 2Meg download speeds.

I raised a ticket on this, was told at first that I would get higher download speeds after 10-14 days. When I didn't I was told that there was a fault with Tiscali's setup.

I'm only about 1km from the exchange, so I should be able to get faster than 2Meg downstream.

Mand, can you look into this for me please?
Mand
Grafter

Moved over to ADSL2+

Hi

You should be getting up to 8MB from the next time you disconnect and reconnect, if not let me know and I'll investigate further for you.
N/A

Moved over to ADSL2+

Thanks will reboot it when I get home.
Smiley
N/A

ADSL2+ eh?

Just out of interest does this mean that those pushed over to ADSL2+ exchanges will recieve free equipment compatable with that service as many modems and routers (well the older ones) will simply stop working?

Just a thought.
Community Veteran

Moved over to ADSL2+

Nope.

However they will still work but only at ADSL1 levels.

An ADSL2+ connection still supports ADSL2 & ADSL1 connections and equipment.
Neil_Bullet
Dabbler

Moved over to ADSL2+

At the moment, you do need a voice line with either BT or another provider, as you need an actual telephone line in order to receive any form of ADSL service. But looking at what your router is showing, you would appear to be on one of the few exchanges that have ADSL2 kit installed, though you'll only see transfer speeds above 8mb if you're on an account that supports them.

Your line stats look pretty good though, so that should remain as a nice stable connection for you, including the faster upload speed that you won't see on a regular Max connection.

Does this mean that even if I got moved to LLU (My exchange has recently been LLU enabled) I wont get a connection any faster than ADSLMax with BT. What account will support 24mb?

Also since you will be using tiscali equipment will your fair usage policy be different (i.e larger download limit due to lower bandwith costs)