cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved To LLU but now synching slower

amjrobson
Grafter

I was on MAX DSL up until today. Previously I was synching at between 2500 and 2800. I have been migrated to LLU today and I am now only connecting at 1800. It wasnt mentioned anywhere that my connection speed would actually drop as a result of being moved to LLU. Is this a fault or is this another "feature" of LLU that we are not being told about.

:?:
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I wouldn't say it's a feature of a fault. On BT's Max products your line will synch with a noise margin of 6db. On the LLU product it will synch with a noise margin of 12db.

The higher the speed your line synchs at the lower the noise margin. Therefore since your line now synchs with a noise margin of 12db your synch speed will be lower.
N/A

I'm in the same boat, with sync speed of around 2800, when it was around 5000 on Max. Sad

Interestingly, in my case I can't blame the higher default SNR on LLU as I was already running on over 12 db (I have a speedtouch 585 router and was therefore able to set the target SNR using the DMT tool)

I have a ticket open at the moment on this. I raised it yesterday, so should hear something back in couple of weeks!!

.... after which I will surely have to raise another ticket because the rep didn't read the first properly!

.... and then raise another ticket when my first one gets closed ......

Ho hum, I'm sure I'll get the problem bottomed out in a few months! Wink
tumnus
Grafter

Heh, I wish I was syncing lower after being moved to LLU from BT MaxDSL this week!

I was having stability problems with BT, so got put on Interleave and a 12db noise margin. Now I'm back on Fast Path with the LLU and my modem keeps trying to sync near 3800kbps, which is too fast for the evenings, when my noise margin drops a lot.

It looks like there has been a batch of LLU switchover's this week. Poor CS are going to be flooded again...
Community Veteran

arpsh - what is your SNR now? I ask because I used to have a solid 8mb connection with > 12db SNR which is now snyching at about 6mb but always synchs at 12db SNR...
Community Veteran

Now I'm back on Fast Path with the LLU

I am confused, I did not think that Tiscali LLU would allow “Fast path”, my understanding was that all of their connections where interleaved.

Chilly
N/A

arpsh - what is your SNR now? I ask because I used to have a solid 8mb connection with > 12db SNR which is now snyching at about 6mb but always synchs at 12db SNR...

My SNR is now a solid 12.5 to 13 as I turned my router to default after I got LLU'd.

I had found on Max that the default SNR of 6 was one of the reasons why my sync was up and down like a tarts drawers, so I had pumped up the target SNR to a minimum 15 (sometimes over 20 if it re-synced during a "quiet time" with less interference). Even with this high target SNR, Max still synced at 2000 kbit higher than Tiscali Sad

To be fair to my LLU connection it has not really dropped sync or had many errors so far, but that is probably because it is trundling along well below top speed!
tumnus
Grafter

I am confused, I did not think that Tiscali LLU would allow “Fast path”, my understanding was that all of their connections where interleaved.

Hmmm, while my modem states the Link Type as 'Fast Path' it is showing Interleaved errors rather than Fast Path errors. I've also noticed it takes longer when initially syncing (sometimes takes up to 10 minutes!) and flicks between Interleaved and Fast Path as the Link Type while syncing.

Either way it certainly isn't as stable as before even though it still appears to sync with an initial 12db noise margin.

Even more confusing is that Tiscali isn't at my Exchange according to http://www.samknows.com or http://www.dslzoneuk.net , yet I definitely got an email about being switched and also now have and upload speed of about 630kbps.
N/A

Yes I just got dumped onto Tiscali and Sam Knows did not show my exchange as being unbundled by them either.

I have let Sam know so that he can update his data, I suggest you do the same to save some more unfortunates falling into that trap.

There is some stuff on his site about being unable to get decent data about Tiscali!!! I wonder why they are so secretive.

Mark
N/A

Why don't you all just realise how lucky you are. When I was "upgraded" to MaxDSL my connection speed immediately dropped by 50% to 490kbs. Now I've been moved again to LLU and can't connect at all, although all my settings are as recommended. Also to top it all it's impossible to get to speak to a human being at customer support.

Plusnet is a joke.
Community Veteran

Why don't you all just realise how lucky you are.

I'm not sure how having a degraded line after being moved to LLU is lucky tbh.

When I was "upgraded" to MaxDSL my connection speed immediately dropped by 50% to 490kbs.

I bet you weren't happy about that?

Now I've been moved again to LLU and can't connect at all, although all my settings are as recommended.

I presume you've done all the usual diagnostics including trying the master socket? If so have you raised a ticket as you are clearly able to get online to do so.

Also to top it all it's impossible to get to speak to a human being at customer support.

Fortunately I rarely have to use the support provision however the curent state of support is poor especially the wait times on the telephone.

Plusnet is a joke.

Nope, Plusnet is an ISP that's having more than a few troubles atm.

Welcome to the forums btw.
N/A

1. Lucky because you can still connect although degraded.
2.No not happy at all
3.Yes all diagnostics done including master socket, yes a ticket has been raised and no I cannot get on line at my home address I am using connection at place of work.
4.If you don't have to use customer support you're obviously luckier than it first appeared.
5.Plusnet is a joke.

P.S. I live approximately 10 minutes max travel time from Plusnet in Sheffield yet I have to wait upwards of a hour to speak to someone by phone.