cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Moved] Query: New "View My Usage" - Quantity Defi

N/A

This is anly a small point, but one I think is worth querying.

On the new "View My Usage" page, I saw the following quantity definitions:

"How we measure data:
1000 Kilobytes = 1MB (Megabyte), 1000 MB = 1 GB (Gigabyte)"

Ever since I first stumbled across computing (in the mid-1960s), the industry-standard definitions have been:

1 KB = 1024 Bytes
1 MB = 1024 KB
1 GB = 1024 MB

Which is F9 actually using? I hope it's just a "typo", because some cynics might observe wryly that, if not, then F9's "gigabytes" are 2.4% smaller than everyone else's!!
12 REPLIES
N/A

Hello serotsky,

Yes! I saw this too and assumed F9 PlusNet had made a mistake. The point you make is valid and I agree totally with you. Surely its upto F9 to make sure that information given like this is actually accurate, I'm giving them the benefit of doubt in this case. i.e. it is just a typo.

Ivan
N/A

Hi,

I have moved this topic to see if you can get a response. It would be interesting to find out.

J. :lol:
carpangler
Grafter

Well, I've been in IT for over 20 years and in all that time 1KB=1024Bytes, 1MB=1024KB etc...

It's only refered to 1KB=1000Bytes when it suites companies for sales purposes like disk drives etc... to make it look like you get more space etc.... for your money.

My bet is F9 are using 1KB=1000bytes etc.... and therefore we are getting a 2.4% (ish) reduction in our usage, or we never EVER got what we thought we did. OK, it's only 2.4% but hey, the small things count.

As far as I'm concerned if F9 do this then as an IT company it's very amaturish on there part, and with the farce of the 8meg regrades at the moment doesn't suprise me one bit. Cheesy

Any comments F9 on the definition of the capacities.
N/A

When DID computers advance to using decimal? I must have missed that announcement :shock: Cheesy

Still using a binary 'puter here.
carpangler
Grafter

Binary computer. Nah - your behind the times mate. F9's are now the new super dooper decimal ones. Tongue
ed
Grafter

Anyone found yet that the idea you can live on 15Gb a month with "UNLIMITED" broadband impossible? When they 1st announced fair usage it was gona be 30Gb and I thought I'd just make it but i since read its now 15Gb in in peak period (4pm-12pm) there is no way i wana upgrade to Max.

I dont download excesive ammounts of movies or music I just run a quake server and guess what time people want to play.. oh yeah 4pm to Midnight

God help anyone who listens to streamed radio is all i can say!

Surely fair usage policy is a LIMIT and you shouldn't describe it a UNLIMITED?
Does anyone else think Trading Standards might think so too?

Cheesy I love you F9 i realy do!
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Anyone found yet that the idea you can live on 15Gb a month with "UNLIMITED" broadband impossible? When they 1st announced fair usage it was gona be 30Gb and I thought I'd just make it but i since read its now 15Gb in in peak period (4pm-12pm) there is no way i wana upgrade to Max.

I dont download excesive ammounts of movies or music I just run a quake server and guess what time people want to play.. oh yeah 4pm to Midnight

God help anyone who listens to streamed radio is all i can say!

Surely fair usage policy is a LIMIT and you shouldn't describe it a UNLIMITED?
Does anyone else think Trading Standards might think so too?

Cheesy I love you F9 i realy do!

I've been mucking about with my webcam at home, and managed to set it up as an internet stream this morning. I've just checked my usage, and it's done 200Mb of traffic since I enabled it at 9am this morning (it's now 11am).

At that rate I'd be doing 700Mb every working day!

Needless to say I have very hastily switched if off.
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
N/A

Thats alot! I gather you had it on full video streaming - or was that every other frame! :roll:
N/A

Hello thomassoft,

The SUP of 15GB peak period (4pm to midnight) is what I would term a soft limit, which means you probably can go over this amount by a small amount without you having your service axed completely. It seems that if the soft limits are wildly exceeded (go away over 15GB by a vast amount) F9 apply traffic management techniques to your service which is equivalent to applying a brake in a car thus slowing you down. The traffic management & slow down get reset at the next billing date. So I guess its NOT perfect but it is a solution of sorts.

**SUP is a cap and thats inescapable IMO (YES! its not unlimited).

**Virtually no ISP out there is offering truely unlimited broadband useage without the price of the service reflecting that, yes! you can get an unlimited service but its VERY expensive (way outside my price range I can tell you).

**Most ISP's now have caps (explicit caps) or limits on use or a policy of useage. Zen isp have a policy of looking at heavy use or over use on a case by case basis and will deal with each one on its merits (thats in there T&C information).

Ivan
carpangler
Grafter

It appears to be 15GB if you are on the new product. A mate has been put on 1st level monitoring today as he exceeded 30GB today. (premior option 1 - last billing a week ago!).

His usage is 7.5 gb 4pm to 12pm and 23GB(ish) 8am to 4pm.

He THOUGHT he was ok as everything on the F9 says 15GB 4pm - 12pm. So he scheduled all his downloads through the day which as far as he was concerned was outside of peak hours.

I guess he hasn't been updated to the new products yet, but no one told him etc... (even though he ASKED F9 and got mails back saying it was definately 15GB 4pm to 12pm), so he's not a happy bunny and is awaiting a responce from F9. He's got his MAC code by the way as he's had enough of the changes to T&C's that he's tried to stick to, but the goal posts keep changing as far as he is concerned.
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Thats alot! I gather you had it on full video streaming - or was that every other frame! :roll:

Probably full streaming, I left it on default values, though I did up the resolution to 640x480 so I guess I asked for it! I was using "yawcam" (www.yawcam.com)
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
N/A

I am on 15GB on the new product premier option 1. I got nice email today saying I am having light restrictions imposed as I have used 66% of my usage. I thought I would get a penalty once I hit my usage limit? Now given that the monthy billing from May to June is 31 days and I have used 66%, and my new billing period is 8 hours away, they must be very worried about those 8 hours to deprive me of what I pay for!