cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to Tiscali wholesale

N/A

Does anyone know for those of us who have Tiscali LLU in our exchange when we are likely to be moved, as I'm now wondering whats going to come first Tiscali or MaxDSL with BT?
13 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It's very difficult to say. The way the migration process works is that we have a limited number of slots at certain exchanges that have been LLU'd.

So for example we might have a slot of a minimum of 60, but a maximum of 80 customers for say 1st June on a particular exchange. If we don't have 60 customers on that exchange then no-one gets migrated on that exchange. If we have more than 80 then we select 80 of them and the remainder don't get moved.

The process is repeated the next time a slot becomes available at that exchange.

As such there's no real way of knowing when or if you would be moved until we actually put the order in. The intention is to send out emails as early on in the process as we can, but we can't unfortunately make a prediction until then.
astarsolutions
Grafter

Whats everybody's opinion of the move to Tiscali, do people think it is a good or bad thing?

I have noticed F9 have got an opt-out now so some people obviously think it isn't very good.

I cant see it of being any benefit to me so I think I am going to opt out; I would personally prefer to stay connected to BT equipment.
James
Grafter

Hi Arthur,

If you read my announcement, we're offering an opt out because a number of people believe that Tiscali are the spawn of the devil, and would rather cancel their service with us than have a service partly supplied by Tiscali.

The essence of the truth really is that Tiscali are only prividing the equipment at the exchange, the rest is as you were.
astarsolutions
Grafter

What would the benefit be of moving over to Tiscali LLU apart from the prospect of faster download speed sometime in the future.

Anyway wouldn't this cause problems when the exchanges get upgraded to BT's 21centuary network which would surely be far better than Tiscali's network.
JonathanW
Grafter

Faster download speed isn't the only beneift of a Tiscali LLU connection, they also offer a higher upload speed than stanard DSLMax does, as its the same as the Max Premium.

But to all intents and purposes, everything else will be the same no matter which wholesale provider you are connected to in the exchange.

As for the 21C Network, this is still some way off at the moment, but as it gets rolled out across the country then I'm sure the LLU providers will deploy their own solutions to rival it.
N/A

No chance of the lower costs of Tiscali LLU being passed on to the customer then?
astarsolutions
Grafter

No chance of the lower costs of Tiscali LLU being passed on to the customer then?

It looks like they maybe, I have opted out of the LLU upgrade on one of my accounts and i was sent an e-mail encouraging me not to.

One of the "Benefits" they mentioned was Lower prices in the future for LLU customers

Is anyone else opting out?
N/A

At the moment there is no way to migrate to another ISP if an account holder so wishes if the service is moved to Tiscali LLU. This would mean a cease and re-provide at the account holders expense with the associated downtime that such a move would involve.

As for lower prices, I guess that can also be applied to IPStream via BTw, who knows what the future may bring.
JonathanW
Grafter

It looks like they maybe, I have opted out of the LLU upgrade on one of my accounts and i was sent an e-mail encouraging me not to.

We've said in the past, that as the wholesale cost drops, then we'll be able to look at the way the packages are designed and then improve on this so that you either see a reduction in monthly cost, or more likly see an increase in the peak time usage levels.
N/A

Wow this is really bad news, F9 is becoming more customer unfriendly by the day - really going down the tubes, and lying in bed with Tiscali who have been down the tube for years. Wait until something goes wrong with the deal/equipment (as it surely will if tiscali are true to form) if F9 have as much troulble trying to talk to a human at Tiscali as their customers do problems will take an age to resolve. I wonder if F9 pay 50p a minute to communicate with Tiscali? Maybe that's where F9 got the idea to start charging their own customers such an exhorbitant price.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I can understand concern when hearing the Tiscali name but I would like to reassure you that the service we have bought into is supplied by Tiscali Wholesale which is a very diffierent kettle of fish to Tiscali Retail who you see advertised on TV.

Tiscali Wholesale is one of the biggest suppliers of internet connections to big businesses and the systems they have in place for dealing with faults are really good.

Our fault guys have access to some pretty crackjack fault finding stuff as well as being able to deal with a lot of faults themselves through the fault management systems, so far the small number of faults that have been raised have been dealt with most efficiently.
N/A

Our fault guys have access to some pretty crackjack fault finding stuff as well as being able to deal with a lot of faults themselves through the fault management systems, so far the small number of faults that have been raised have been dealt with most efficiently.

Well I have had trouble connecting ever since I was moved to Tiscali - "pretty
crackjack fault finding staff" - don't make me laugh, after one month and I'm still going round the "can you try another modem" questions. Started looking at migrating away from f9. Phoned tech support at Eclipse to see how long they took to answer the phone - it was under 2 minutes, but then they told me that I could not migrate away from f9/.Tiscali and would have to disconnect/reconnect. Looks like I may as well face the pain sooner rather than later though.

Disgruntled of London
N/A

Don't know if this helps at all, it is something on the ADSL Guide from the 8th May:

As you may have seen from my other thread(s) I had connection problems following my LLU upgrade last week, not least from getting a decent response from CS.

In the end the fix was stupidly simple. I'm posting the answer so those of you who may be in my position post upgrade are aware in advance.

In the PPPoA settings on my router, the enapsulation setting was LLC - it should be set to VC MUX (or whatever your router says.

I don't know if this may affect any modem users, but I'm just taking the view forewarned is forearmed.

Allegedly this information was supposed to be passed onto CS centre staff:

Thanks for your feedback. I've also passed this to my point of contact within the CSC who will raise this with other staff.

You decide!! Told and ignored or just not told yet!

Mark