cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mountains of SPAM

N/A

Mountains of SPAM

Not sure if it's just happening to me, but over the past three or four days I've gone from receiving NO spam via my PlusNet email account, to having received almost 100 spam emails in total during this time. Now I'm not too bothered as I gave up using my PlusNet email account last year, but thought someone might like to know? If it's happening to other customers perhaps it's likely to start swamping the mail servers again?
63 REPLIES
N/A

Mountains of SPAM

Through my Plusnet account I get hit with masses and masses of SPAM e-mails. Well over a hundred a day. It's the most insecure E-mail service I've ever used. A bit like a boarded up shop-front that gets flyers stuck all over it. I can hear it now: "Roll-up ye spammers! Free E-mail addresses for all! Just spoof the addresses from PLusnet's sad-sack customers."

Oooops. Outlook has just beeped. More Spam!!!!!

There's definitely more SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM that goes through Plusnet than is heard in a Monty Python tune....
Community Veteran

Mountains of SPAM

It's not just Plusnet.
Friends of mine on other providers have been asking me how to reduce the amount of spam they are getting as they too are seeing it rise out of all proportion.

Unfortunately I can't provide them with an answer other than to use a program such as "Mail washer" and delete it at source rather than download it.
Saturn
Grafter

Mountains of SPAM

@simonbowland

You're not alone mate, I had 700 odd over the Christmas period. A sudden dramatic rise and all aimed at my PN address, not my own domain. Maybe there's a clue there.
pennbank
Grafter

Mountains of SPAM

Same here gone from none to 50 per day all appear to be tosomething @myemailaddress.plus.com all receiving a lot of delivery notification failures although I am not sending the emails.
This must put pressure on plus net servers.
is there a way to only receive the actual email addressed to the accounts one has
I have two e mail addresses with plus net plus the postmaster one.
However I am receiving emails addressed to anyname@ myemail address.plus.com
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Mountains of SPAM

I've seen various reports of spam now accounting for 75 to 95% of all mail around the world, it isn't just a PlusNet issue but a global problem. However, one of the good features about the way we have the email addresses set up (i.e. a catch all mailbox) does mean that some people will see more spam coming through because spammers will use the catch all nature that many ISPs use to try and catch out spam filters.

Where this is happening we offer the choice of blackholing the catch all address (and we are looking into the possibility of changing the default option of the catch all to off and you can switch it on rather than on and you can switch it off). This will cut out a lot of spam for some people.
Saturn
Grafter

Mountains of SPAM

I wasn't trying/intending to suggest it is a PN problem, just that it might be easier to pick on ISP derived email addresses as opposed to individual domains which are less predictable. Either way it's a nuisance for sure.
N/A

Mountains of SPAM

I have just checked my mail for the first time in a few days and got 37 undeliverable mails that I did not send. they have all come back as from Whoever@saltzenmund.plus.com where whoever is not one of the email aliases I have set up.....
N/A

Might be time to stop "Catch all" mailboxes

Hi

I've had an alarming amount of spam recently. Usually in the form of 'TO: <random characters>@mymailbox.plus.com>.

I used to like this feature.....you could send your mates an email to youidiot@mailbox.plus.com

Now, it's just annoying. Perhaps it's time to change.
N/A

Mountains of SPAM

I too have received a mountain of spam - 136 e-mails yesterday having previously NEVER received any spam. What's changed??

Can anyone advise how to blackhole the anything@bell29.plus.com addresses and just leave the two that I use properly?
James
Grafter

Mountains of SPAM

There's been reports of a large increase in SPAM, particularly failed delivery messages over the last few days. Whilst I'm fairly sure it's not an issue isolated to us, we are looking into SPAM as a high priority currently.
Liam
Grafter

Mountains of SPAM

Can anyone advise how to blackhole the anything@bell29.plus.com addresses and just leave the two that I use properly?

What you need to do is setup your required mailboxes and redirects in "Email Settings". You also need to setup a "postmaster" mailbox, as we will use this to send account related notifications to you.

Then, raise a ticket to us here stating that you would like your default (catch-all) mailbox blackholed - and we'll do the rest.
N/A

undeliverable mail "spam"

We too have started receiving a lot of undeliverable mail responses - containing spam (trying to flog dodgy stock).

I'm not yet 100% sure that a virus didn't send them from our machine - although we are virus protected and have not downloaded anything, this all started happening after AVG found downloader.tib in some spam (which we never opened). We use Thunderbird, and do have "e-mail preview" on.

For now I've disconnected my home machine, to see if responses come in from mail sent while disconnected - if so, then the ISPs need to do something about this, as all e-mails are back traceable through reputable networks.

If it's down to me...I'll let you know if I solve the problem!
N/A

Mountains of SPAM

I'm just concerned, from PlusNet's point of view, that I've gone from receiving zero spam to receiving mountains, all of a sudden. Since 11pm last night I've received 86 (and counting) spam emails to my PlusNet email address. Since I never use it, I never sign up to anything with it, so I don't even know how a spammer has gotten hold of it.

Most of them seem to be, as James has mentioned, fake "failed delivery" notifications.
James
Grafter

Mountains of SPAM

Is anyone seeing any failed delivery notifications on email accounts with other ISP's?