Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More usenet speed problems

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Using Giganews - around 4.00pm speeds about 200kB/s then around 4.30 they plummited to less than 5kB/s. still the same now
I'm not on any traffic shaping, my new account period started yesterday and I've only used around 200Mb on a premier 2mb/s account

Paul
10 REPLIES
10crawford
Grafter

Same here speed on Astraweb has slowed to less than dial up at 18:05.
N/A

Also easynews via the web has crawled to a hault., was downloading at about 170 kB/sec and now nothing.
Been active since sunday and already considering leaving Sad
Never had these types of problems with Nildram/NTL/Bulldog etc.
10crawford
Grafter

Was just about to post a support query but speeds suddenly increased. Will someone from plus please let us know what you are doing or did you just refuel the hamsters.
JonathanW
Grafter

I've just posted a service status regarding this, as it appears there was an issue that was causing general slowdowns and some connection issues. Though this has now been resolved which is why you saw the speed increas again.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yes, speeds did increase with Giganews but they have now drop back again

Paul
N/A

link seems really erratic to be honest going from 60 kB/sec > 140 kB/sec
Suppose its better than 0 kB/sec.
N/A

It's going to be erratic during peak time, bandwidth intensive protocols are restricted while latency sensitive applications (web browsing, gaming, VoIP, etc) are given priority. This is no bad thing IMHO (assuming it works, but recently is hasn't been). You won't always get full line speed for bandwidth intensive stuff, especially not during Peak Time.
N/A

currently d/l off usenet at 14kbs, brilliant! what use is this, still got 5 gigs of peak usage left
N/A

Hmm, yes, header retrieval from PlusNet's server approx 15-20kb/s on thn-ag1. Possibly 'normal' peak time prioritisation. Or that half of those on ptn-ag1 have been moved over to the other pipes.. or.. something else!
N/A

doh!, really should read the service updates.....logged out for 5 mins and then re-started router, all fine now.

still, felt good to have a mini rant.

Nik