cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More upgrade fun

JonnyF
Grafter

More upgrade fun

First of all, I notice there are a LOT of people with similar issues, which does not bode well for Plusnet irrelevant as to whose problems it is.

After all the fiasco of FUP etc. and PN subsequently changing their policy yet again, I decided not to pay £14.99 to jump the queue and have my line upgraded to 2mb, but to wait and get it done automatically. This did not worry me at the time, since it was around the end of march/april and BT's PDF said that my line would be upgraded April (though there were DSLAMS with April revisit and May on my exchange - subsequently after PN release the DSLAM connection info, it turns out I was on a plain April schedule). However not knowing this at the time I waited till mid May, and without any upgrade in site I tried to progress things.

I requested a WHOOSH test to preemt any db issues, after several tests over 1-2 weeks, PN were unable to retrieve any results from the test. Which in my eyes would be a fault, though not in PN's, apparently this is often the case, and therefore will not report this fault to BT or escalate it further... fantastic.

Worse than that, it appears that BT actually regraded the lines on my DSLAM on 6/4/2005, however my line remains at 1mb. (It has been suggested that since the WHOOSH test cannot be completed by PN, then BT probably couldnt get the results either - therefore no upgrade took place) Now, I'm only 800m away from my local exchange and my router indicated I should be able to recieve 2mb. But Plusnet say that I have to pay £14.99 for a regrade now, and if I do get 2mb I won't get a refund of this fee!!

This stinks, because surely, if my line eventually supports 2mb, then it should have been automatically upgraded on the 6/4/2005!? and therefore I should not have had to pay the upgrade fee? Isnt that just logical?

Anyone else had similar issues?

Jon.
7 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

More upgrade fun

Hi there,

Your free regrade order was placed 01/04/2005 19:52:48 and subsequently failed about 5 days later. Unfortunately BT did not site a reason for this failure but it is likely to be down to your line characteristics.

We now have measures in place to email customers as and when this happens.

If you had failed initial line checks then an order would not have been placed in the first instance.

We have placed another order at your request but your line is still coming back as amber and although BT have accepted the order, it may still fail.

If it does, I am afraid there is little we can do.

With respect to the regrade fee, PM me if the order is successful and I will see what I can do.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

JonnyF
Grafter

More upgrade fun

Thankyou for some positive feedback!

Just for some further information, do you find it strange that being in such close proximity to my local exchange (800m) my line should be in amber status (if possible can you explain "amber" status in more detail). I am aware that cables are not run as the crow flies etc. but it would have to be some shocking wireing etc to deteriorate line quality enough to cause a problem (i was actualling presuming that my line would in fact cater for 4 or 8 mb in time).

Also, can you shed any more light as to the reasons PN and or BT would not be able to run a sucessful Whoosh test, does this also not seem a little strange, and possibly be the reason for my amber status?

Cheers,

Jon.
N/A

More upgrade fun

The BT line status information database does not use the same system as Whoosh for obtaining line statistics.

BT populate this database through the normal maintenance and housekeeping that goes on all the time at each exchange. The idea being that most faults are tracked before they even happen.

Failure to get a result from these tests, would normaly red flag your line for further investigation. The fact that you still can't get faster speeds, usualy signals that these standard tests are passing with sucess.

I am not sure if you have stated anywhere, if or not your modem/router gives its own statistics (the amount of posts I see, it gets hard to remember specific people).

There are one very important thing to remember about the distance to your exchange. It is irrelivant.

I have helped out on one case where you could spit at the exchange. About 40 meters straight line distance and 110 meters if walking by road.

Back before the 1Mb limits where increased, there was a problem getting an account upgraded. BT rejected the upgrade several times, claiming it was out of line tollerances.

Through some useful contacts (which I no longer have. BT changes around faster than an F1 car), we eventualy found out that the line didn't infact take anything like a straight route.

With such a short distance to the exchange, it was thought that the line would also be short. However, knowing cabling doesn't work like that we expected it to be upto 1km.

It turns out, the line was route almost right around town, before entering the exchange on the oposite side of the building. Totaling 4.3 miles in total.

It had been due in part of planning regulations in place in the town many moons ago. Needless to say, pointless regulations.
JonnyF
Grafter

More upgrade fun

I would hope BT don't make a habit of such bizzare runs around town for cabling, though I guess nothing suprises me....

My line status according to my modem (DLINK DSL-300T) which I dont know if I should trust are...

DSL 27db Margin 30db

USL 62db Margin 26db (a bit odd this result IMO)

So according to my DSL I should have no problem receiving 2mb+, on the other hand I think the USL is a bit bizzare... which is one of the reasons I wanted a Whoosh test, tbh I'm not sure I believe this reading?! Nevertheless I'm sure I should get 2mb no problems, in fact I think even 4 or 8 when available from reading other posts? Just for your information, if I go to BT's site and check availabilty it says initial checks show you should be able to receive 2mb - I presume this is referencing this database you refer to?

Cheers,

Jon.
N/A

More upgrade fun

Surprisingly, it wasn't BT's fault on this occasion, nor on another occasion I know of.

In the case above, it was due to planning quirks, which are no longer causing such problems. However, doesn't mean BT are going to spend any money of fixing that situation.

The quite rightly rule applies of what isn't broken, shouldn't be fixed.

In the other case I have heard of, was caused by the exchange being moved.

Althought the move happened many many years ago, it meant that some lines where rerouted, rather than just having the existing cabling moved.
JonnyF
Grafter

More upgrade fun

Thanks,

Any comments about the rest of my last reply?

Cheers,

Jon.
JonnyF
Grafter

More upgrade fun

Well, I cant say Im suprised! Im now running 2mb without problems.... AFTER paying £14.99 to re start the upgrade process (see above). I will withhold any further comment until I have received some feedback as to a refund of the fee!

Cheers,

Jon.