Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More sticky BRAS. Oooh missus...

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Mornin campers!

Any update on ticket ID: 21764250?

Still not yet managed to burst out of this 2000Kbps one into a more comfortable expected 7000Kbps BRAS as promised in "Connection Settings."

</entendres>

BT speedtest still telling me the following, btw, if this is worth adding to the above ticket..

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1826 kbps

Router stats, as always.

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7616 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: OFF
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 15.9 22.0
Attn(dB): 12.0 9.0
Pwr(dBm): 19.8 11.9
Max(Kbps): 11040 1056
Rate (Kbps): 7616 448

Cheers dudes/dudettes!
19 REPLIES
chrisc
Grafter

There is a problem with the BT wholesale system at the moment so we can't run the tests that we need to. This should be sorted about 1pm so I'll get this chased up for you then.
chrisc
Grafter

This has now been raised to BT for you so hopefully BT will get the profile sorted out for you pretty soon.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Mornin again!

Well, I received a reply to the aforementioned ticket, but I can't help but feel that BT have missed the point altogether...

Dear Mr Harrison,
BT were unable to find any speed problems on your circuit during testing.

Please note: as broadband is a contended service there may be times when you experience lower connection speeds. BT may not accept a speed fault if speed tests carried out between midnight and 7am indicate speeds above the minimum acceptable speeds noted below.

Minimum acceptable speeds for broadband service:

100kps or more - acceptable on 512kbps products

200kbs or more - acceptable on 1Mb products

400kbs or more - acceptable on 2Mb products

When BT tested the line, they found the speed on your service was within the limits above.

What you should do now
----------------------------------

1. Reset your equipment and test the connection plugging your modem/router into the master socket with all other devices disconnected.

Please call us on 0845 140 6000 to confirm you have carried out this retest and let us know what the results are. Our faults team can then take the appropriate action.

If the problem is still happening
-------------------------------------------
Please contact us within 5 days. If you don't the fault is likely to have timed out with BT. We will then need to raise a new fault case which will delay getting your problem investigated.

No mention of a stuck profile in the slightest, they just appear to have done a line test which, of course, came back as happy and within spec.

I know, and you know, from my router stats, that the line is OK. Attn/SNR all happy and correct....

Even though I've copied and pasted my router stats, and what the BT speedtest says upstream/downstream rate should be, do BT actually realise that mine is a MAX connection, and not a fixed 2Mb line? Tongue

I see from some previous posts in the forum that it does appear possible that you peeps can "nudge" the BRAS profile from there, or at least disable interleaving (which will force a resync from my current 7616 to 8128 and then maybe that'll kick BTs system into reprofiling the connection).

Can we try that please?

Cheers!

<copied and pasted into ticket, for completeness>
N/A

heh the helpline drones do that, ...let me tell you a story about a MAC user who's modem failed to connect so he called his isp's helpline (no not plusnet :p), only for the drone on the other end to tell him to "click start button, and then control panel" lol
N/A

CSC can only help if your speed as shown by the PlusNet connection settings is slower than that shown by the BT Speedtester.

As you might infer the BT Speedtester reports the bRAS profile set by BT themselves at the exchange, and PlusNet have no control over this.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Heh. I know the feeling..

Back in the dim, distant past when I used to be with Blueyonder, whenever there was a problem with the service, or I was having problems setting up friends connections, I used to call a mate of mine who worked on 2nd line support as I knew if I even dared call 1st line I would end up skewering my own eyeballs in frustration at the inanity they would spew out. I remember one of them telling me "Use USB to connect the cable modem, ethernet is unsupported and therefore the probable problem.." After 15 minutes of similar "helpful" advice I rang my mate who told me the UBR in that area was borked.

Anyway...

I see that the Tomlinsonmeister is lurking around the forums at present.. Dave, if you read this by any chance can we try and, as I've asked on quite a few occasions before now, disable interleaving in order to force a resync and to see if that kicks BTs BRAS profiling up the wrongun? By the above reply from BT it seems they're playing the 3 good monkeys with the hear no, see no, say no routine.

Cheers!

*edit* I've just noticed the above description of 1st line support bods may come across as being a bit, erm, sarcastic. I must add that whenever I've had occasion to talk to Plusnet 1st line they've been nowt but enlightenment itself, it just appears to be Blueyonder (and maybe Tiscali, I've crossed swords with those kippers a few times before now) who employ amoeba to man the lines.. Cheesy
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

*bump*

*sigh*

Me again, one router reboot and one BT speedtest later.. (twas posting from my old place on my other halfs sooper-dooper BBYW Opt 1 account. Which is currently running a lot better than mine thanks to her IP profile being set correctly by the looks of it... Cheesy )

Anyway, reboot about 20 mins ago. One thing I noticed is it took an awful long time to sync up. Why is this? Am i on a constant "Line retrain" or summat?

On my old line, the sync light used to start flashing/go solid almost at the same time as the diag light used to go out (Voyager 2100). I've noticed it taking longer on this line before now, but not quite as long as it did then, almost a minute or two. Anyways, router stats before and after reboot both the same, bar a .1db difference in SNR. (from 14.2 to 14.3db.)

BT speedtest, same old story.

IP profile for your line is - 2000 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1847 kbps

Router stats.

Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 7616 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Interleave
Trellis: OFF
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 14.3 22.0
Attn(dB): 12.0 9.0
Pwr(dBm): 19.8 11.9
Max(Kbps): 10688 1044
Rate (Kbps): 7616 448

Remember folks, this is an "Emperors new diagnostic post", which only clever people can see. I expect support to reply in 30 mins or less for fear of being seen as a bit dim.. Tongue
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I'm almost willing bet your router was connected to the line when the broadband was activated. If it was then it certainly fits in with the thinking I have as to why these faults happen.

I've put the interleave request in, that should be done in the morning. Not sure whether it will take 3-5 days for the new speed to kick in the change to the IP profile or if it takes longer. I would though suggest leaving the router switched off overnight while the order completes and reconnect sometime after about 8am.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

I'm almost willing bet your router was connected to the line when the broadband was activated. If it was then it certainly fits in with the thinking I have as to why these faults happen.

I've put the interleave request in, that should be done in the morning. Not sure whether it will take 3-5 days for the new speed to kick in the change to the IP profile or if it takes longer. I would though suggest leaving the router switched off overnight while the order completes and reconnect sometime after about 8am.

Cheers Dave, I knew you were one of the clever ones... Tongue

Just for the record, the router was not connected when the activation went on AFAIK. I was using dialup (spit) at the time, and even left the microfilter out of the equation at the time for fear of the filter knocking a few precious bps off my modem connection speed.

If I recall correctly, my activation was due on a Friday. I remember trying it some time on the day before, my glass is always half-full y'see, and all my previous activations have gone through a day or so before the actual specified date and, Glory to Bob! it synced up.

Whether I actually managed to fire up the ol' router just around the time the BT bloke plugged my line in at the exchange is a matter of speculation, but I do recall one time awaiting activation at a previous address and my phone handset went through all manner of chirrups and "tings", and then went dead. After 10 minutes or so, it chirruped again and the dialtone came back along with its high-frequency broadbandy friend.

On the aforementioned thursday, I also seem to recall that I was connected via dialup just before trying the router out, so I'm sure I would have noticed the line going dead at the time.. Smiley

Does that help clear anything up on your thinking as to why this problem happens?

Anyway, ta muchly for trying the interleaving trick. Unfortunately, I'm away from home at the mo at a friends, the headlamp bulb has gone on my motorbike and therefore is in no fit state to make it down 6 miles of windy, unlit country lanes in order to switch my router off! I'll do that first thing in the morning, leave it off for most of the day and hopefully that'll be enough for the new settings/order to take hold.

Heres hoping!

Cheers!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

My thinking on these stuck BRAS profiles is that the line syncs up at a stable speed and then never changes, but because the router is on at the time and syncs straight away the new sync speed is recorded before the order is closed off and so doesn't update the IP profile.

Will probably just need a reboot in the morning to ensure the change takes effect.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

My thinking on these stuck BRAS profiles is that the line syncs up at a stable speed and then never changes, but because the router is on at the time and syncs straight away the new sync speed is recorded before the order is closed off and so doesn't update the IP profile.

Will probably just need a reboot in the morning to ensure the change takes effect.

Ah-haa. Cheers for that, that makes a lot of sense. I suppose that there is a window between the line being enabled and the order going through the system as being closed, so maybe I hit upon that time period.

Anyway, been through a few reboots this morning, interleaving is still enabled as of yet, but as before, knowing how lethargic BT can be sometimes, I'll leave the router off for the best part of today whilst I'm out and about. Sod my housemates, I'm sure they can live without torrenting the latest Stargate episode set for a few hours.. Cheesy

Unrelated question...

One of them appears to have been sneakily "forcing" the torrents at peak time after I'd set the schedule, so I just denied him access to the router when I spotted that last night for the time being.

Any ideas as for a wireless router which does an "ellacoya" style set of packet filtering/throttling so I can nip that a little more in the bud? I've already throttled to an extent by forcing the wireless to only connect at 1mbps, but that still does not stop them chewing up nigh on 3 or 4Gb per midnight-4pm torrenting session?

I do download the odd torrent myself, so don't want to block it completely (even though I have p2p guard enabled in settings, uTorrent randomizes ports to evade that kind of thing...), but just want to have a bit more control over how much bandwidth they're eating. Plusnet firewall on High, for example. Would that stop uTorrent in its tracks?
grimme
Grafter

Re: Throttling at the router.

I believe Draytek have a Qos parameter on them that can be set to allow a protocol or IP address a percentage of the overall bandwidth. It might be worthwhile googling for their support areas on the Qos.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I do download the odd torrent myself, so don't want to block it completely (even though I have p2p guard enabled in settings, uTorrent randomizes ports to evade that kind of thing...), but just want to have a bit more control over how much bandwidth they're eating. Plusnet firewall on High, for example. Would that stop uTorrent in its tracks?

No unfortunately not I'm afraid.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Ah. Cheers for that!

Might be in for a new router anyway, this Voyager 2100 of mine appears to be playing up a bit.

Nowt wrong with the actual connection, but whilst nosing around the HTTP setup interface (Plan A. Assign a definate IP to a MAC address, and then use IP/Port filtering on that IP in order to try and knacker up any uTorrent traffic), the web interface kept freezing up/timing out. requiring nowt short of a reboot in order to get back into it again.

Saying this, I can still access stats/setup via telnet even when the HTTP interface is borked, and LAN/WAN seem as good as ever, but the web interface seizing up is a definate PITA, forcing me to just make 2 or 3 changes at a time before it locks and requires rebooting. Weird, it always behaved impeccably before I moved here....

Any suggestions?

Might try another PSU later tonight or tomorrow, just in case that is getting weak at the knees. Also using Firmware Version 2.18.01.17g_a023g1.d15g at the moment. Any ideas as to what might be a more reliable firmware? Or might it be worth reflashing my current firmware anyway in case it has suffered from bitrot?

Anyway, with all those reboots I've definately had a chance to see if Interleaving has been disabled yet, and as yet alas it has not been, and my BT speedtest profile is still showing as 2000Kbps.

*sigh*

Oh for the days of my Amiga 1500 and 9600 modem. Life was simple back then... Cheesy

Cheers!