cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More spam talk

Community Veteran

More spam talk

Why, do you think, is it that spam from known dodgy sources doesn't get marked as spam?

This is an extract from the headers of a recent one, with no subject line and minimal content (nothing extra revealed when looking at raw message source), which I reckon should have been marked as spam but wasn't:

Received: from [219.137.4.147] (helo=[219.137.4.147]) by ptn-mxlast02.plus.net with esmtp (PlusNet MXLast v2.00) id 1FtGUJ-0002vj-Qq ; Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:08:16 +0100
X-Open-Relay: 219.137.4.147 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net
X-Pn-Virusfiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v2.00)
X-Pn-Spamfiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v2.00)

My Mac's Mail program recognised it as 'junk' and deposited it in my spam folder where all the stuff marked [-SPAM-] by PlusNet always goes, so it's not critical but I wonder what criteria PlusNet's spam filters use if they don't see this as possible spam, especially as I have the settings on High, which marks a lot of mail from legitimate commercial mailing lists.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
5 REPLIES
N/A

More spam talk

Believe the fundemental question to ask PN, which has been asked before without an answer, is what different protection the 3 levels give you.

Back to your particular email the IP is listed on approximately 10% of the spam databases. The main reason is no reverse DNS. In the past there have been debates whether email should be rejected on this alone. So perhaps PN low settings will allow this through without marking and the high setting will!!!!

If you follow the link you will see that the IP will be automatically delisted in 20 hours

IP SPAM Listing
Community Veteran

More spam talk

The thing is that as spam arrives in my mailbox anyway, whether marked [-SPAM-] or not, what's the harm in marking anything suspicious, seeing as a lot of legitimate mail also gets marked?

As I say, I've got my PlusNet spam settings on High, which should catch everything in theory, but it doesn't!!!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

More spam talk

Sorry I missed the bit that stated that you have selected the high settings.

If users now what to expect from the 3 different levels then they can report problems when they don't work!!!

I beleive that at the high settings it should do something when there is no reverse DNS look up.
Community Veteran

More spam talk

How do you control the SPAM control levels you mention?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

More spam talk

Go to your email settings