cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More spam getting through the filter?

N/A

Is it just me, or is there generally more obvious spam getting through the spam filter?

EG Subject: Alliance & Leicester Internet Banking: Urgent Notice From BiIIing Department
Containing lines like <p><font color="#FFFFF3">the bobby-pin. Super Bowl Commercials dog "She moved her feet.</font></p>

Which does not look like a finance related site to me. :!:
36 REPLIES
theharveyfamily
Grafter

Which does not look like a finance related site to me.

But you are a human being with a brain far superior to any computer.

The same e-mail managed to sneak past our spam filters at work this morning - It's not an exact science - It's very difficult to reliably detect spam automatically.
N/A

It is not so much the content of that particular on, more the fact that after having only had one or 2 a week getting through, without being marked, it has suddenly gone up to 5 or 6 a day. And it seems to be increasing. Sad
theharveyfamily
Grafter

As I say - Not an exact science.

Perhaps the spammers are getting better at avoiding filters.
N/A

But some are comming through that are known to be bad.

This arrived with the topic notification

x-open-relay: 80.76.197.77 is in a black list at bl.spamcop.net
X-PN-VirusFiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v2.00)
X-Amavis-Alert: BAD HEADER Non-encoded 8-bit data (char A3 hex) in message header 'Subject'
Subject: \243499 1,000 CD + ... ^
X-PN-SpamFiltered: by PlusNet MXCore (v2.00)

When you are paying for a spam filter, you do not expect it to let through things that are already flagged as on a black list.
N/A

There is a continious battle between spammers and anti-spam companies. The spammers tune their software to get past the anti-spam software and then the anti-spam companies adjust their code to block the new style of spam. The cycle then repeats.
N/A

I've been getting a lot of spam from Gmail users - I've been sending these to thisisspam@<me>, hoping the Spam filter is adaptive.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I don't think the thisisspam and thisisnotspam email addresses do anything on the current spam filter. This changed quite a while ago.

Phil
N/A

I don't think the thisisspam and thisisnotspam email addresses do anything on the current spam filter. This changed quite a while ago.

Phil

And it was not a change for the better.

I'm seriously thinking of dumpin PNs filter and going for one Mailwasher or something similar, where I have at least some control Shocked
N/A

I have seen a couple of these myself today and as such have raised this through the UserGroup for clarification.

I'll post an update as and when I get it.
N/A

Shame...

Personally, I like Nidram's way of dealing with spam - aside from having the internal company controlled one, you can also add your own to the black & white list. You can also specify the level of spam detection.
familycolvin
Grafter

and as such have raised this through the UserGroup for clarification.

I'll post an update as and when I get it.

That was over 3 weeks ago. When do you expect a reply?

In the last month the amount of spam I receive has leapt up so that about 95% of all that I now receive is spam, and as a result my PAYG 1MB allowance is exceeded so I now receive a supplementary charge to pay for the unwanted spam.

Through a ticket I have asked PN for a system where by the obvious spam can be blocked, not shipped to me, and not count as part of my chargeable allowance. The silence from PN is deafening.

Various posts have made it clear that 100% filtering is extremely difficult, but having said that I do feel that PN could try a lot harder than it appears to be doing to find more effective solutions. Being on the receiving end it looks as though PN have decided that this is a nice little earner so is not going to bust a gut to solve it in the near future.
N/A

Hi there,

Firstly, my apologies, i completely dropped the ball on this one. I did, as stated, raise it to PN via the usergroup, however we havent had a response from them as yet.

I will push this right now and hopefully extract some info.

Once again, apologies.
JonathanW
Grafter

Unfortunately, at the moment it isn't possible to offer a service that just deletes spam without it touching your mailbox, as there is always the possibility of false positives, where something is marked as spam when it shouldn't be.

We do change the subject of any suspect emails so that you can use your own software to manipulate them. This could involve setting your email client to delete the messages straight from our server without having to download them. If you're a PayG customer who is prepaired to take the risk then this is probably the best option.

Moving forwards we are looking at offering other security solutions, as Ian has mentioned here.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

But the one thing not offered which is obvious and offered by many other ISPs is to put the SPAM in a different folder. That way you can quickly get your real mail without having to deal with the spam first.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)